Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

I've heard people say that Midwestern and Northeastern cities are clean and cute and all that and that Southern and Western towns have more poverty and bad parts of towns. I've never been to the MW or the NE so I cant speak, I have been to small towns in the South and the SW and can say they do have things in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 PM

604 posts, read 750,619 times
Uh... we're in a town of 2,500 but there's no real "bad part" of town, there are some homes that look shady, and but the trailer park or clusters of "decaying" homes would be the worst...

Town of 20,000 (in the MidWest, missouri, forgot to mention) there are bad parts, where people don't want to be, just because it looks bad...

New England (NE area) however, has poverty EVERYWHERE, in the MW you don't see many hobos, early morning and late nights, maybe, but none like the NE.

Every sidewalk, alleyway, etc has poor people, homeless, you name it. I don't see how NYC is portrayed like it is...

Kansas City is in the MW and it's got some places the same as NYC, but smaller scale and less poor person to sidewalk space ratio

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post

New England (NE area) however, has poverty EVERYWHERE, in the MW you don't see many hobos, early morning and late nights, maybe, but none like the NE.

Every sidewalk, alleyway, etc has poor people, homeless, you name it. I don't see how NYC is portrayed like it is...

Kansas City is in the MW and it's got some places the same as NYC, but smaller scale and less poor person to sidewalk space ratio
So you have been everywhere in New England? Because if you have, I must have missed these parts while living there for 20 years, and going to every single County in most of New England. What you are talking about is NYC, which by it'd very size is going to have more homeless people. I was in Chicago last week and there were homeless on every single block downtown. Same as I have seen in NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, etc....

After living in New England for 20 years, the Midwest for 24 years, and the South for 2 years what I have seen is that people are people, cities are cities, and towns are towns. The smaller the town, the less likely it is going to have a "bad" section. Maybe some bad looking houses, maybe a bad looking block; but rarely an entire section of town that people would consider bad. Conversely, the larger the city, the larger the bad section is going to be usually.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote: New England (NE area) however, has poverty EVERYWHERE, in the MW you don't see many hobos, early morning and late nights, maybe, but none like the NE.

Wrong!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I have seen a fair amount of poverty and some bad areas of small towns in PA and NY but not really in any of the New England states. While there is poverty in some rural communities of New England I've yet to see a neighborhood that would constitute a slum. Cities? That's a different matter.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I have seen a fair amount of poverty and some bad areas of small towns in PA and NY but not really in any of the New England states. While there is poverty in some rural communities of New England I've yet to see a neighborhood that would constitute a slum. Cities? That's a different matter.
First we have to define what we mean by a small town. You will find some small communities or cities with some areas of unkept housing in comparison to other parts of town or even some public housing in Upstate NY, but those areas aren't necessarily "bad".

Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
There are good and parts to just about every town, some with more of one than the other, a lot has to do with demographics and job opportunities etc. that is the same everywhere in the country...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
First we have to define what we mean by a small town. You will find some small communities or cities with some areas of unkept housing in comparison to other parts of town or even some public housing in Upstate NY, but those areas aren't necessarily "bad".
Albion, Medina and Lyons all have some bad streets where there are drug houses and occasional violent crime. To a lesser extent, Clyde is also impacted. Albion and Lyons have crime rates that are much higher than they should be for small rural communities.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
No state is immune to bad or unattractive parts. It depends on what one considers bad or unattractive too. Some might see a rural fishing town in Maine as picturesque others might see it as a dump. I was surprised when I saw some not so nice areas in New Haven, Connecticut.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Albion, Medina and Lyons all have some bad streets where there are drug houses and occasional violent crime. To a lesser extent, Clyde is also impacted. Albion and Lyons have crime rates that are much higher than they should be for small rural communities.
While true, I wouldn't say that those towns are generally "bad" or that the crime is notorious or very serious.

You could also mention some other communities, but if you look at the crime rates, they aren't as high as people think they are and are many times below the national average. Places like Geneva, Lackawanna, Sodus, Newark, East Syracuse, Johnson City, Rensselaer, Watervliet, Cohoes, Solvay, Dunkirk and Fulton come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.