Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Shoot, here in the South we heard those same stories about driving out west! (Particularly the old Route 66.)
Really? Funny enough me living in AZ my whole life and I never saw the Grand Canyon and only a part of Route 66 (in Flagstaff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM

OK, the following chosen places are:

Oxford, MS
Brice's Crossroads National Battlefield, Tupelo MS (possible)
Vicksburg National Battlefield/Historic park, Vicksburg, MS
Natchez, MS
St. Francisville, LA

And this even counts Grenada and other towns on the interstates and side roads. So what airports would be best to use? Rental? Anything I should be aware of?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
OK, the following chosen places are:

Oxford, MS
Brice's Crossroads National Battlefield, Tupelo MS (possible)
Vicksburg National Battlefield/Historic park, Vicksburg, MS
Natchez, MS
St. Francisville, LA

And this even counts Grenada and other towns on the interstates and side roads. So what airports would be best to use? Rental? Anything I should be aware of?

you should also get off on a exit and visit whatever town you come upon, drive around the town, grab a local newspaper and hit up a cafe and get a taste of the town, I like to see places as If I were a local and not a tourist, tourist spots are ok too but you gotta check out the towns off the beaten path, dont be scared of them , just explore, the towns are like the ones in the West.

as for cities, check out Memphis and Birmingham if you got time, Atlanta is nice too.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:20 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Time permitting, if you're in Tupelo, you may as well check out Columbus...they're not far apart. (When we lived in Columbus, we used to catch the train in Tupelo...it's that close.) Again, time permitting, Shiloh National Battlefield is do-able. Atlanta is a stretch from there...not exactly in the neighborhood.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Time permitting, if you're in Tupelo, you may as well check out Columbus...they're not far apart. (When we lived in Columbus, we used to catch the train in Tupelo...it's that close.) Again, time permitting, Shiloh National Battlefield is do-able. Atlanta is a stretch from there...not exactly in the neighborhood.
I was seeing on that too, I was wondering if I could squeeze in seeing Elvis' birthplace and Brice's Crossroads National Battlefield. From what I can tell I would have to land in Jackson or Memphis (how many other sizeable airports are there?). How long would it typically take to drive across much of the state?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:39 PM

If I remember right, (keeping in mind that I'm 3/4 senile) Columbus (for example) is about 1.5-2 hours from Memphis. It's been so long since I've made the trip from Columbus to Jackson or vice-versa that I don't remember...I'm sure others can.

Elvis' place isn't far from the airport at all. I've picked up more than one person at Memphis that wanted to stop there right away before leaving town to our home.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
If I remember right, (keeping in mind that I'm 3/4 senile) Columbus (for example) is about 1.5-2 hours from Memphis. It's been so long since I've made the trip from Columbus to Jackson or vice-versa that I don't remember...I'm sure others can.

Elvis' place isn't far from the airport at all. I've picked up more than one person at Memphis that wanted to stop there right away before leaving town to our home.
Checking google maps I found that Columbus was roughly 3 1/4 hours from Memphis if you take US-78 and US-45.

So if I were going from that way the places to see would be:

Graceland
Brice's Crossroads National Battlefield
Tupelo National Battlefield
Elvis' Birthplace
Vicksburg
Natchez
St. Francisville

There will be a fair number of small and medium sized towns to pass through on the trip.

But until then I'll find decent ticket prices and re-arrange and edit the locations when changes come.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Forget it y'all, it's all but scrubbed.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Not enough funds, or support.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Hate that for you!

This nation has so many places I'd like to see, but, like most, funds and time kind of limit that.

I've come to the conclusion I'd need roughly 12 lifetimes to see and do all the things I'd like to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.