Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
How it is that so many Arabs have been able to emmigrate to France and Holland and elsewhere in Europe is a mystery to me. Anyone know? The Arab populations in some European countries is overwhelming, influencing their culture, other things.
Adreana
Many of them apply for political asylum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You must love shopping malls.
sorry, i don't understand the reference. HK doesn't have more shopping malls than any other major cities in asia from my experience. in fact i spend more time in malls in other cities like bangkok, manila, jakarta, etc.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
sorry, i don't understand the reference. HK doesn't have more shopping malls than any other major cities in asia from my experience. in fact i spend more time in malls in other cities like bangkok, manila, jakarta, etc.
Kowloon IS a shopping mall!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:57 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
are you a compulsive shopper or something? i mean i guess you're right, i usually stay in causeway bay on hk island which is also a big shopping area. but not sure why this seems to be such a big issue to you.

as for whether or not i enjoy shopping malls, i don't know. i am not a shopper, i usually only buy basic things from time to time when necessary. i prefer to spend all of my money in nightlife and dining. but i do enjoy people watching during the day, which hong kong is great for. i am also a skyscraper fanatic which makes hong kong paradise on earth. probably the best city on the planet for urban trekking.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
are you a compulsive shopper or something? i mean i guess you're right, i usually stay in causeway bay on hk island which is also a big shopping area. but not sure why this seems to be such a big issue to you.

as for whether or not i enjoy shopping malls, i don't know. i am not a shopper, i usually only buy basic things from time to time when necessary. i prefer to spend all of my money in nightlife and dining. but i do enjoy people watching during the day, which hong kong is great for. i am also a skyscraper fanatic which makes hong kong paradise on earth. probably the best city on the planet for urban trekking.
It's not a big issue. I used to make trips to HK to buy gold at King Fook's. The San Francisco Steak House opposite the Imperial Hotel on President Rd. has the best prime rib in the world. Hong Kong is fine, but I would never put it high on the list of great places to live. That's just me. To each his own. Are you a gambler? Macau? What's the attraction? For night life, Bangkok has more to offer and is much cheaper for the same things available in HK. But again, I have nothing against Hong Kong, it's fine. Go where you like, that's what I do. I like Katmandu, and you couldn't pay some people to go there.

Last edited by Bideshi; 03-10-2011 at 05:16 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
It's pretty sad when we are having to consider leaving this once-great country, mainly due to our outrageous health care costs. You have to be rich or "luckily insured" to have your health.

My Dad, who is lucky enough to have Federal Retiree health insurance just got out of the hospital after just one week where they ran a few minor test for some abdominal pain he was having.

The diagnosis after one week in the hospital? Gas and constipation.

The treatment? Over-the-counter laxatives.

The cost for my Dad to live in a hospital bed, eat jello and have a few minor tests? Billed to my Dad's Blue Cross, Blue Shield: $16,794.60.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Edit: Sorry, the cost for my Dad to LIE in a hospital bed for 1 week, eat jello, and have a few very minor tests. Outrageous.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Edit: Sorry, the cost for my Dad to LIE in a hospital bed for 1 week, eat jello, and have a few very minor tests. Outrageous.
Criminal.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Could you please name some of those countries? Do you have info as to how stable and democratic they are?
Thanks.
Adreana

Some of the "easiest" to get into:

New Zealand
Ireland
South Africa
Singapore
Panama
Belize
Argentina
Uruguay

All are stable and democratic. South Africa though is quite dangerous.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
All are stable and democratic. South Africa though is quite dangerous.

...and some say Belize too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.