Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:53 PM

431 posts, read 446,792 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I've been reading through this forum lots, and I'm just looking for any overall advice or guidance you can give me.

To give you some background info on myself, I'm 22 years old, will be graduating in May from a pretty good University here in Connecticut, with a bachelor of arts in Communications. I'm thinking of making a big move come graduation, as the Northeast is such a tough area to make a real start in because of the cost of living. I'm also SO sick of winter and would love to be somewhere where it's not 20 degrees in the winter.

I've never really traveled much, so I really lack much experience in this department, which is why I'm having a hard time coming up with places I would love to live.

Do you have any suggestions for someone looking to start the next chapter in their life?

I figured the easiest way to break it down would be to just give you a list about myself, things I like and dislike, and different areas I've been researching that appeal to me.

-I'd like to be near a large city as my degree is in Communications so I'm sure this is where I will be able to find a job, rather than a small town.
- I'm from a VERY small town in Northwestern CT. I've lived in busier towns for college (New Haven CT and Providence RI). I also interned for 10 weeks in NYC at MTV, so I can keep up with the fast paced lifestyle, but I don't think it's something I want in my life.
- I'm very polite, nice, and laid back. Another reason why I'm sort of growing sick of New England. Although there are plenty of nice people here, it seems a lot of people are just kind of grumpy
-I'm thinking of going to grad school for something like Sociology/Social Work/Counseling/etc, so my career path may shift a bit.
- I'm sick of winter! I hate the cold! But I also hate the heat and humidity too! (See, this is where my big predicament is!). My ideal temperature is 50-70 degrees, sunny and a light breeze. I wish there was a state like this year round! I can't decide what I hate more, heat or cold...humph.
-I love green! As in, grass. And trees! I just love nature.

I'm honestly pretty open to suggestions. I just want to be able to find a good job, and afford a decent life. The cost of living up here is so outrageous and I really worry that I'll be stuck in a depressing cycle if I stay up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 05:02 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,544 times
You probably would like one of my most favorite cities San Francisco, or another favorite Seattle.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:27 PM

431 posts, read 446,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
You probably would like one of my most favorite cities San Francisco, or another favorite Seattle.
I think I would love San Francisco, but it goes against the fact that I want to move somewhere cheaper lol! But it is BEAUTIFUL from what I've seen! Like, absolutely stunning.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
As an Art Director, I would tell you to make sure you hit a media center or where the city you choose as a growing and developing industry.

I know there are a lot of opportunities in the SF bay Area.

The Media Activity in LA and Orange County is also beginning to pick up (Check out Irvine for job opportunities)

Old 12-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Well I'm sure you can find somewhere in the Bay area ( safe) to stay at a affordable price and still feel like your in the center of all.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
live truth to the fullest. be kinder gentler.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:20 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I'm also relocating from the Northeast and from my research think that these might be good choices for you. The only trade-off will be having to put up with a bit of heat/humidity for a couple of months a year. Otherwise they're affordable choices with a good quality of life, comparatively decent employment options and excellent grad school choices.

Chapel Hill, NC
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ACADEMIC PROGRAMS | UNC School of Social Work

Greensboro, NC
Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Counseling Program Home Page, Counseling and Educational Development, UNCG

Charlotte, NC
Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://socialwork.uncc.edu/index.php...=35&Itemid=135

Greenville, SC
Greenville, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clemson University : Eugene T. Moore School of Education : Prospective Students

Columbia, SC
Columbia, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MSW Program (http://www.cosw.sc.edu/msw/msw.html - broken link)

Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 PM

I wouldn't suggest any of those cities, though if any it would be Chapel Hill, NC... but thats only because the popular university there.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
Hi everyone

I've been reading through this forum lots, and I'm just looking for any overall advice or guidance you can give me.

To give you some background info on myself, I'm 22 years old, will be graduating in May from a pretty good University here in Connecticut, with a bachelor of arts in Communications. I'm thinking of making a big move come graduation, as the Northeast is such a tough area to make a real start in because of the cost of living. I'm also SO sick of winter and would love to be somewhere where it's not 20 degrees in the winter.

I've never really traveled much, so I really lack much experience in this department, which is why I'm having a hard time coming up with places I would love to live.

Do you have any suggestions for someone looking to start the next chapter in their life?

I figured the easiest way to break it down would be to just give you a list about myself, things I like and dislike, and different areas I've been researching that appeal to me.

-I'd like to be near a large city as my degree is in Communications so I'm sure this is where I will be able to find a job, rather than a small town.
- I'm from a VERY small town in Northwestern CT. I've lived in busier towns for college (New Haven CT and Providence RI). I also interned for 10 weeks in NYC at MTV, so I can keep up with the fast paced lifestyle, but I don't think it's something I want in my life.
- I'm very polite, nice, and laid back. Another reason why I'm sort of growing sick of New England. Although there are plenty of nice people here, it seems a lot of people are just kind of grumpy
-I'm thinking of going to grad school for something like Sociology/Social Work/Counseling/etc, so my career path may shift a bit.
- I'm sick of winter! I hate the cold! But I also hate the heat and humidity too! (See, this is where my big predicament is!). My ideal temperature is 50-70 degrees, sunny and a light breeze. I wish there was a state like this year round! I can't decide what I hate more, heat or cold...humph.
-I love green! As in, grass. And trees! I just love nature.

I'm honestly pretty open to suggestions. I just want to be able to find a good job, and afford a decent life. The cost of living up here is so outrageous and I really worry that I'll be stuck in a depressing cycle if I stay up here.
Austin, Texas is just right for you!

I live in Austin, there are many single people living here, most of the population is very young. It is the Music capital of the USA. It's very lively, and very affordable compared to the Northeast.
University of Texas at Austin is a great school and one of the best overall, and has many great programs for what you want to do.
Economy is doing great here, so finding a job isn't very difficult.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Austin is now USA's 15th largest city by population!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.