Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,981,764 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater Beach, St. Pete Beach, and Ocean City (both) can "mess" with Virginia Beach.

In my opinion, all major East Coast beach resort cities, with maybe the exception of Miami Beach, have an aura of tackiness surrounding them. Virginia Beach's "Grand Strand" is no different. It's just a line of shops selling t-shirts, knick-knacks, and fudge and hotels in sore need of renovation or demolition.

That's not to personally attack VB, because, IMO, almost all East Coast beach resort communities share those qualities. I like the Hampton Roads as a whole: water everywhere, Navy presence, Southern atmosphere, relatively temperate climate, seven small cities making up the bulk of the metro area's population, etc. However, the beach area of VB feels no different than any of the resort areas that I listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,327,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Having spent a ton of time there, I can safely say I don't like it. I much prefer Norfolk.
Virginia Beach is Norfolk... and vice-versa.

Not to mention Virginia Beach's MSA aka Hampton Roads has much more beach than Virginia Beach such as Norfolk's Ocean View neighborhood, Hampton's "Buckroe Beach," Virginia Beach's "Sanbridge," where it's not all "touristed up"

Old 12-24-2009, 01:59 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,214,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Shops on the boardwalk, no condo/hotel towers,no mass transit service, etc.
Funny, because some of the cities you mentioned in the first post beat out VB by a mile in these areas. Atlantic City for example has taller towers, MUCH better shopping, and transit options galore (trains to NY and Phila., express buses, local buses, and the jitneys).

So using your own criteria, it seems there are cities that can nail VB to the floor. Ego boost fail?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
Quote:
Are you being serious?

Becasue I can't tell.

Vs.

That's why WildWood can't "touch' Virginia Beach
don't link to pictures from facebook, they don't show up because of your privacy settings, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,753,315 times
Quote:
Virginia Beach is Norfolk... and vice-versa.

Not to mention Virginia Beach's MSA aka Hampton Roads has much more beach than Virginia Beach such as Norfolk's Ocean View neighborhood, Hampton's "Buckroe Beach," Virginia Beach's "Sanbridge," where it's not all "touristed up"
No, Norfolk isn't Virginia Beach, it's Norfolk. Like any metro area, they're connected via suburbs, but Norfolk is the principal city of the metro area (I know it's smaller, but it's the urban core of the metro) and it has the most authentic urban feel of any city in the Hampton Roads area. I've always enjoyed downtown Norfolk.

Virginia Beach is the only one that's got the tacky touristy feel and that's really centered around the central beach area with the condos and hotels. It feels just like any other town that's similar (they've all been listed). I'm not saying the entire metro is this way... it's just Virginia Beach and not even all of Virginia Beach (we've been over the fact that the rest is suburban sprawl). Sanbridge isn't bad at all, but it's a small exception to the rest of the city which is either tacky or overly suburbanized. Sanbridge reminds of more crowded sections of Cape Cod or Wareham MA, parts of the Jersey Shore and even a little of Naggs Head. I have no issue with Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, or the rest of the Hampton Roads area (in fact, I like a lot of it)... like I said, it's just VA Beach that I don't care for.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:38 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Jacksonville Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater Beach, St. Pete Beach, and Ocean City (both) can "mess" with Virginia Beach.

In my opinion, all major East Coast beach resort cities, with maybe the exception of Miami Beach, have an aura of tackiness surrounding them. Virginia Beach's "Grand Strand" is no different. It's just a line of shops selling t-shirts, knick-knacks, and fudge and hotels in sore need of renovation or demolition.

That's not to personally attack VB, because, IMO, almost all East Coast beach resort communities share those qualities. I like the Hampton Roads as a whole: water everywhere, Navy presence, Southern atmosphere, relatively temperate climate, seven small cities making up the bulk of the metro area's population, etc. However, the beach area of VB feels no different than any of the resort areas that I listed above.
I think you're right where the larger beach resorts are concerned. I can name a lot of smaller beach towns on the East Coast that are IMO very charming:

New England? Too many to name; somebody else can handle that.

Delray Beach, FL
Vero Beach, FL
St Augustine, FL
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Atlantic Beach, FL
Fernandina Beach, FL
St Simons Island, GA
Hilton Head Island, SC
Kiawah Island, SC
Sullivan's Island, SC
Isle of Palms, SC
Pawley's Island, FL
Kure, Carolina and Wrightville Beaches, NC
Lewes, DE
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Avalon, NJ
Cape May, NJ

Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Atlantic City:

Virginia Beach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaKeg9V7OI&feature=fvw

Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
No, Norfolk isn't Virginia Beach, it's Norfolk. Like any metro area, they're connected via suburbs, but Norfolk is the principal city of the metro area (I know it's smaller, but it's the urban core of the metro) and it has the most authentic urban feel of any city in the Hampton Roads area. I've always enjoyed downtown Norfolk.

Virginia Beach is the only one that's got the tacky touristy feel and that's really centered around the central beach area with the condos and hotels. It feels just like any other town that's similar (they've all been listed). I'm not saying the entire metro is this way... it's just Virginia Beach and not even all of Virginia Beach (we've been over the fact that the rest is suburban sprawl). Sanbridge isn't bad at all, but it's a small exception to the rest of the city which is either tacky or overly suburbanized. Sanbridge reminds of more crowded sections of Cape Cod or Wareham MA, parts of the Jersey Shore and even a little of Naggs Head. I have no issue with Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, or the rest of the Hampton Roads area (in fact, I like a lot of it)... like I said, it's just VA Beach that I don't care for.
I like your viewpoint on the area!

But how many metros can you name that contain the three biggest cities in their state? Virginia Beach- Pop. 440,000.Norfolk- Pop. 240,000. Chesapake-Pop.220,000.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times
Jones Beach is awesome...the venue is right there on the water too. Not to mention the boardwalk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUsNWvCClcg

http://www.gatewayinnlongisland.com/...chTheater2.jpg

Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
Quote:
Atlantic City:

Virginia Beach:

how do these pictures prove AC can't "mess" with VB? The only time VB was ever on my radar was during the riots:

Remembering Greekfest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.