Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times

Advertisements

Fishing is the state religion in Minnesota. It's deeply, deeply ingrained into the local culture, and it's also one of the biggest reasons visitors come to the state.

Fishing Opener is such a huge deal here that the governor is obligated to set aside an entire day to kick off the opener and participate by fishing a different lake each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
If you're into bass fishing Florida reign supreme.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Many of our rivers don't freeze, but most lakes will be frozen. So yes, ice fishing is a big thing in Michigan. We have four seasons here, so fishing will be different in the spring, summer, fall, and winter. That's what makes it so fun.
But here is something I didn't know until I travelled up to Minnesota and saw their fishing museum. In the far north of these states they don't just put a line a hole. They have a decoy fish, frog, or mouse carved of wood and painted. It is tied to a string the fisherman bobs up and down, and it is carved such that it spins in a circle like it is in distress. The large fish still move a bit under the ice, and when one comes to investigate the fisherman spears it with multipronged spear. I talked a fishing guide about this, and he said in Minnesota the tourists from the twin cities had tried to get this banned as they want to take their picture with a trophy fish in the summer and release it, but as he said people in the north usually don't make as much money so the fish provides a much needed cheap source of meat for the locals in the winter. In addition as the Indians in the area had been provably doing this for centuries and taught the French voyageurs the method as well as the first English speaking settlers this is an important cultural practice.

One day I hope to get to try this as it sounds incredibly cool.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
The spearfishing you're referring to is a Native American (Ojibwe) practice and is absolutely illegal for anyone who is not a member of an Ojibwe Nation.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Fishing regulations: Minnesota DNR

The pdf on the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources website does not mention this limitation in its section on dark house spearfishing. I am not ruling out this as a law in some other state or a Canadian province.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The spearfishing you're referring to is a Native American (Ojibwe) practice and is absolutely illegal for anyone who is not a member of an Ojibwe Nation.
Well, there are similar spearing laws in Wisconsin, as well...maybe in Michigan, additionally? And there have been spearing/snagging seasons that non-natives can participate in, too. I remember people spearing sturgeons through the ice on Winnebago; when I was a kid, I snagged spawning salmon and so forth, too. I haven't done this sort of thing in decades, so I'm unfortunately way behind on current laws. It was a big, contested deal in the WI northwoods years back. Lots of hostility native vs non-native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.