Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

I'm from Michigan, now living in Georgia (unfortunately), and I'm looking to relocate. My first choice would be to move back to Michigan, but it would be nearly impossible to find a job up there. I really dislike Georgia, so I'm desperately trying to get out of here. I'm open to moving ANYWHERE in the U.S., except the south. Big city, small town, doesn't matter. Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories are OK. As long as it has plenty of job opportunities and isn't southern, it's fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
[quote=flyingwriter;12213759]I'm from Michigan, now living in Georgia (unfortunately), and I'm looking to relocate. My first choice would be to move back to Michigan, but it would be nearly impossible to find a job up there. I really dislike Georgia, so I'm desperately trying to get out of here. I'm open to moving ANYWHERE in the U.S., except the south. Big city, small town, doesn't matter. Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories are OK. As long as it has plenty of job opportunities and isn't southern, it's fine with me.[/Q

According to the US Labor Department, the states with the lowest unemployment rates as of November 2009 are:

"North Dakota continued to post the lowest jobless rate, coming in at 4.2%, which was unchanged from September. It was followed by Nebraska with 4.9%, South Dakota at 5%, Montana at 6.4%, and Vermont and Utah at 6.5%."

The major metro areas with the lowest jobless rates in October were Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va., 6.2 percent, and Oklahoma City, Okla, and Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, Va.-N.C., 6.5 percent each.

Here is the list of city unemployment rates from October 2009:
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I'm from Michigan, now living in Georgia (unfortunately), and I'm looking to relocate. My first choice would be to move back to Michigan, but it would be nearly impossible to find a job up there. I really dislike Georgia, so I'm desperately trying to get out of here. I'm open to moving ANYWHERE in the U.S., except the south. Big city, small town, doesn't matter. Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories are OK. As long as it has plenty of job opportunities and isn't southern, it's fine with me.
There must be a reason why you have left Michigan in the first place. So why consider a move back there ?
I don't like the south myself as i had bad experienced when moving from the northwest.
The unemployment rate here in the northwest is high but i start seeing more and more hiring lately. It seems like we are in a recovery mode right now.
Try Portland, Or.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM

93,265 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What kind of jobs are you looking for? Here's a good website from my area: Central New York Jobs

Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 PM

608 posts, read 923,577 times
Can you drive a truck or are you willing to work hard? The oil boom has gone off in the Dakotas, and work was easy to find for me. (I moved from Texas) Even if this isn't for you, the oilfield/gasfield and it's service companies need mechanics, dispatchers, security personel, engineers, chemists, etc. Join us and check out Halliburton.com.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
The animated map in the thread at the link below should be helpful for identifying where job availability is highest and lowest. In general terms, the lowest unemployment in the country is in Texas and states due north of Texas.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ssion-map.html

Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 PM

93,265 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The animated map in the thread at the link below should be helpful for identifying where job availability is highest and lowest. In general terms, the lowest unemployment in the country is in Texas and states due north of Texas.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ssion-map.html
Pretty much the Great Plains States......

Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Hey flywriter!

Keep trying Columbus like you did. I know you really liked it there, and it has an extremely diverse economy. I will also mention Cincinnati too. A diverse economy, growing economy, and its cheap to live in both cities. Plus, there are a lot of Michiganders in both cities.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:23 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Phoenix, Arizona...

Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM

155 posts, read 283,032 times
hay i'm a georgia native and i'm living my life like its golden
georgia can be the coolest place if you want it to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.