Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 AM

53 posts, read 488,532 times

Advertisements

I am just curious...since I am still contemplating a move to Virginia in the fall this year...I just thought of State Tax and the requirement of 2 license plates on the car and yearly auto inspections ...in Central Florida we don't have those three requirements.

I can deal with the license plates and the yearly auto inspection....BUT, the State Tax....I have never paid state taxes before!!!!

How bad is it on the weekly pay cheque and at tax time in April every year?? Like I mentioned I am interested in Virginia area (near Washington, DC area) and don't know what it's about if I do move there...

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by FleeingFloridaForever; 03-25-2007 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: add word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 12:22 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,698,736 times
When I lived in Washington state we did not have state tax. Oregon has no sales tax. Minnesota we have 2 plates on our car. I think Washington state we had 2 plates too.

I do notice a bit of a difference in my paycheck with state taxes, but not enough to make a huge difference. I of course would rather get the bigger sum of money back as I can put it toward bills or whatever versus the $50 or so they took from my paycheck that I'd probably have used it on eating out or a new outfit for the kids/wife.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:20 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,383,365 times
We have a state tax here, just not two license plates yet.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
When I lived in Washington state we did not have state tax. Oregon has no sales tax. Minnesota we have 2 plates on our car. I think Washington state we had 2 plates too.

I do notice a bit of a difference in my paycheck with state taxes, but not enough to make a huge difference. I of course would rather get the bigger sum of money back as I can put it toward bills or whatever versus the $50 or so they took from my paycheck that I'd probably have used it on eating out or a new outfit for the kids/wife.

Thanks,

I am just worried about the extra expenses because I have set monthly bills and I don't know if the State tax will take too much out that it sets me back when I try to maintain a balance to pay the bills.

In Florida, we only have one license plate and in Central Florida we don't have auto inspections. I think Tampa still has emissions checks?

It's all foreign to me.

I would be renting and not building a new home and I know there is some kind of impact fee when you move - involving real estate and bringing your car into the new state. At least they have it in Central Florida to cut the cost of new out-of-state residents moving here and using our resources.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:31 PM

569 posts, read 1,226,223 times
Are you referring to the state income tax?

VA has the state income tax (5.75%), state sales tax (5%, increasing to 5.5% in July) and the counties have personal property tax (cars, boats, MC's etc. based on a % of their worth).

Before you blow a gasket, it's not all bad. The income and personal property taxes can be written of your federal tax returns if you itemize.

As far vehicle inspections, there is the yearly inspection (about $25) and a bi-annual emissions test (I think it's $10-$20). I believe most states require having front and rear plates.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:34 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,609,065 times
Wyoming has no state income tax, but they have a sales tax. And, Montana has a state income tax, but no sales tax. Not sure about license plates in Montana, but as far as I know, Wyoming still has two license plates, (I still have mine, from over 25 years ago. Nostalgia, I guess. ).

Old 03-25-2007, 01:36 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,281,510 times
In Texas we must have two license plates. Tennessee does not have personal income tax but N.C. does.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Are you referring to the state income tax?

VA has the state income tax (5.75%), state sales tax (5%, increasing to 5.5% in July) and the counties have personal property tax (cars, boats, MC's etc. based on a % of their worth).

Before you blow a gasket, it's not all bad. The income and personal property taxes can be written of your federal tax returns if you itemize.

As far vehicle inspections, there is the yearly inspection (about $25) and a bi-annual emissions test (I think it's $10-$20). I believe most states require having front and rear plates.

Yes, I mean state income tax..thanks for clarifiying that...I forgot the word income.

Good, it doesn't sound too bad. I have been at the same job since 1990 and I am comfortable with the tax structure here..but, I do want to move from Florida. I was brought here when I was with my parents, I got married here, had kids here, now I want to try something new, a new state that I chose.

I don't have a large bank account, so when I move ....it's all the eggs-in-the-basket, baby. Plop and nest. So, I have to make sure I pick the correct spot.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
We have a state tax here, just not two license plates yet.

Ronzou,

Where is "here"?

Old 03-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Wow, how would of thought how different each state is towards their SALES taxes, INCOME taxes.

Where I live our sales tax is 7%.

But, we have hundreds (it seems) of different license plate designs.
I don't know how the law enforcement agencies keep up with all the different styles to know if they're phoney or not?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.