Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 AM

39 posts, read 73,162 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Mohave Desert and want out of here! I am currently going to college to be an elementary teacher and my husband would like to go to school to be a pharmacy technician. Once I finish college I would like for us to be foster parents. We currently have a 2.5 y/o daughter and another daughter due in April. So, basically we need a place that meets the following as much as possible (I know it's really specific, sorry):

Family/children friendly....no high crime and preferably no high pollution. Things to do for kids and families. Preferably has Little League and Dance/Gymnastics within a 30 min drive.

Affordable college(s) preferably within a 30 min drive and under $5k/yr. for in state or out of state tuition.

Good school district for our children or a reasonably priced private school near by at minimum.

Four seasons but not harsh winters. Under 14in of snow preferably. Hot is not an issue.

Cheap/affordable houses/land. Ideally we would like to purchase a 3+ bedroom not in a bad neighborhood and not right next to other houses for under $50k.

I know the last one is a hard one but we're not looking for a dream home or anything right now lol just a place to last us long enough to finish school (he'll have 1 yr for pharm. cert. and I'll have 3 yrs) and get settled in jobs so maybe 4 or 5 years. We really don't want to rent. We'd rather buy an okay house until we're more stable then buy a nicer one in a few years and sell the current one or use as a rental.

My mom previously posted asking for suggestions as well, so, if anyone can suggest a place meeting both of our needs/wants that would be PERFECT! Here's her link: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...r-seasons.html

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:07 PM

92,037 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Asheville, NC....

Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 PM

444 posts, read 1,139,407 times
Pennsicola, Florida maybe.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 PM

726 posts, read 2,140,074 times
Columbia South Carolina has really cheap housing (I think the cheapest in the US), has a college. I don't know about four seasons but I think it could snow there in the winter. I've only been there once but I thought it was pretty nice.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

92,037 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Maybe Lubbock TX, Cookeville TN, Denton TX, Greenville NC....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.