Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,925 times

Advertisements

I would say back then life was better for family life and spending quality time together as compared to today. While technology has improved some areas of life such as health care and ease of life with communication, entertainment and transportation the end result is less time with family and more time at work. Health care has improved for those who could actually afford the health care while in past decades it did not take working a full month to pay for health insurance. I would rather enjoy the love of family rather than working long hours, receiving no respect or recognition for an employer who believes the almighty dollar is worth more than human values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
The '50s are a very polarizing time because it was pretty much the last decade before the political correctness craze began. Liberals HATE the '50s and conservatives would give anything to bring them back. When you look at the facts, the quality of life for most in the '50s was better than it is today. They had their problems but the vast majority did better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
im gay so my life would probably be HELL in 1950's...
so yeah... now is better haha at least for me
This was a big problem in the '50s. There were some areas though you could have found refuge though you would just have to be careful who you told your secret to. By that time San Francisco already had an established homophile community. In the early 1960s, select states started to legalize sodomy.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I wonder how many people who actually lived in those times thought they were better. Not so good for gays, African Americans, women who had to support families or even just themselves, kids who had polio, the threat of the cold war hanging over our heads, housing shortages, job discrimination for women and minorities, restrictions on where certain people were allowed to go, unequal pay for men and women for the same jobs, education barriers......just to name a few minor inconveniences of the 50's and 60's.

There were some nice things about the times, sure. But times change. I think the most accurate thing one can say about them is that each era is different. Some are better in some ways some in others. Everyone's experiences are different too. Good for some, not so much for others. It's always going to be that way.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I would say that the 50's and earlier-60's were the best time. I do NOT think life is easier today, not even necessarily for women. Most decided to raise their own kids but they were commonly able to manage on one paycheck.

It was also nice to live when our world didn't feel so over-crowded. Today just feels like an over-populated Hell to me.

I really, really miss those decades, and I'm glad that I was able to live through the 60's. It was radically different from start to end and not without it's own problems, but it was colorful and fun.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I'm glad I live in this decade. Peoples main obstacles in life these days is the accumulation of debt and need to have "stuff".

Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I think what it all boils down to is that for some it was a nice life for others not so much. But you can say that about any decade. I wish mine was the idyllic childhood many have mentioned. That would have been nice but it wasn't. As years went by it got better so I can't say that for me, the 50's and 60's were filled with fond memories.

As the times changed, so did opportunities for my family. That's what made things better for us. So based on that, I would have to say that the 50's and 60's were not a better quality of life for my family and me. But I can see where for many it was and so, the nostalgia.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Well people during the 1950s and 1960s had a better chance of getting a job compared to today so for employment reasons then would have been better than today. Yet for medical and technological reasons today is better.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quality of Life--then better than now if you look at affordability and cost of living. People then didn't have the stress and worry that they have nowadays about their mortgages, car payments, food, electric, jobs, etc. But, they lived in a type of intellectual/emotional "bubble" of not being aware of what was going on, too. No internet, no CNN. Kind of a denial type existence. And, more patriarchal, then (pre-60's), listening to authority more than yourself (doctor, priest/pastor, teacher). Not thinking for yourself. Now, we're bombarded with news/happenings/research and increased anxiety because of it. People take more responsibility for finding their own answers, more intellectually saavy I suppose, but more financial pressures. Things are just different.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Now just by going how much better things if you're a minority, woman or gay today than back then and not even taking anything else into consideration.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I would say that the 50's and earlier-60's were the best time. I do NOT think life is easier today, not even necessarily for women. Most decided to raise their own kids but they were commonly able to manage on one paycheck.

It was also nice to live when our world didn't feel so over-crowded. Today just feels like an over-populated Hell to me.

I really, really miss those decades, and I'm glad that I was able to live through the 60's. It was radically different from start to end and not without it's own problems, but it was colorful and fun.
I don't feel that things are more expensive today once you take out inflation. The problem is too many people trying to get things that are absolutely unnecessary or way over the top than what is needed IMO. I think many people who would get rid of their 6 TV's, two extra cars, game room, weight room, etc would obviously not be in debt to their eyeballs and not have to live paycheck to paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.