Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The standards of today are unrealistic and unsustainable. Not everyone can get a college education. Even if they're fortunate enough to earn a degree, there's still a limited number of professional jobs to be had. We can't all be stock brokers or brain surgeons, just like we can't all be waitresses or work in call-centers. There needs to be a middle ground, and that void used to be filled by manufacturing.
I think that some posters are missing the point of his post.

He was being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
+1 million

Might I also add...

-I can attend any university I like
-I can live in any neighborhood I like
-I won't be called "boy" by anyone else but my father
-I won't be killed for just looking at an attractive white woman, not to mention dating, marrying, having kids with one
-I can get any job I am qualified for
-I am allowed to have an opinion

This idealized picture of the 1950s only comes from the young or the dumb or the willfully ignorant. As bad as it sounds, the 1950s were only good for white protestant (or those that could pass) men and ignorant white women. For blacks, latinos, asians, jews, catholics, european immigrants, the mentally/physically disabled, and white women it was craptastic time. They were expected to shut up and stay in their place.

Granted, not all white men liked this system and many fought against it during the Civil Rights era, but to think that the quality of life was great for anyone other than white men or white women who weren't uppity....you need to go back and redo history class.
Good for you. I can't attend college at Spelman or Morehouse in Atlanta simply for the fact that I'm white. Is that progress? I'm not some self-pitying, right wing, Rush Limbaugh fanatic who thinks white people are oppressed, but I do think it's a fair observation. As long as there are Black-only and women-only colleges, then real equality will never be achieved.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that some posters are missing the point of his post.

He was being sarcastic.
What makes you think he was being sarcastic?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Good for you. I can't attend college at Spelman or Morehouse in Atlanta simply for the fact that I'm white. Is that progress? I'm not some self-pitying, right wing, Rush Limbaugh fanatic who thinks white people are oppressed, but I do think it's a fair observation. As long as there are Black-only and women-only colleges, then real equality will never be achieved.
You need to check your facts. Whites attend Morehouse and other historically black colleges. (White students drawn to black colleges - Education- msnbc.com)

In fact, in 2008, the valedictorian at Morehouse was white.(White valedictorian: A first for historically black Morehouse - CNN.com)

Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
along with what the last poster said, ask yourself why hbcu's exist in the first place.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
What makes you think he was being sarcastic?
If you read OakParkDude's original comment on page 2, and read the middle paragraph, he was just having a little fun commenting on "how it was possible to live on a single income today".

Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
I can't attend college at Spelman or Morehouse in Atlanta simply for the fact that I'm white.
Not true at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not true at all.
Exactly.

The class Valedictorian at Moorehouse was a white guy year before last.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
What I don't understand is with all the advances in health care, why is obesity such a problem now?

Looking at family photos from the 1950's, rarely did I saw an overweight or obese relative. Some of these were poor mountain people too.

Now there are an obesity epidemic in this country.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
I ride the fence on this question. I look at people from the 50's and 60's and can't help but see some of them as messed up. My grandma (born 1919) successfully lead her youngest siblings as well has her own kids through the Depression, but her baby-boomer kids are the most selfish, lazy, worthless people I've ever known (yes, I am speaking of my mother this way). My aunts and uncles born in the 50's and 60's are also equally as troubled, most without jobs and suffering severe physical ailments while their parents in the 80's and 90's are happily plugging along appreciating everyday as it comes. I also have concerns about the generations born out of the people of the 50's and 60's. I see no one wanting to hold themselves accountable for anything. And I see my generation (70') getting irate at the thought that their own kids could actually fail at something (i.e. no longer benching poor players, not issuing F grades to students, etc). I could go on forever.

I don't see the technology thing as particularly good. Yes it is nice to microwave a bag of popcorn in 2.5 minutes, but what is the trade off? Chemicals in your popcorn.
Kids these days are like zombies thanks to parents who are so stressed and busy that the easiest thing for them to do is plunk their kid in front of the TV or video game for 6 hours straight.

I think in the 50's and 60's, things were kept more private. The thought of openly publicizing a homosexual or transgender person in a high level government position, was not heard of. Celebrities making sex tapes and earning more fame the more DUI's they rack up is unbelievable to me. I'd like to live in a world where murder and death didn't make the news headlines everyday. In the 50's and 60's that stuff was there, it just was communicated as freely.

The good I see as the medical stuff. I think the means to prolong one's life has come a long way. I don't know...that could be a bad thing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.