Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times

Advertisements

Just for discussion, does anyone feel the term "African American" does more to divide our country than unify it?

Look at a number of other countries. Belize, for example, has people of many different colors and ancestries. There are people whose bloodline originated in Africa, India, China, Mexico, etc. but noone is referred to as "African Belizean" or "European Belizean". They are just "Belizean".

Do you think we should all be just "American" or should we have more of an individual identity to display our ancestry? Would our country be more unified? How could we be more unified even with those titles?

Discuss.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 PM

102 posts, read 310,344 times
I think black people started the African-American thing to have their own identity. But I don't think its necessary anymore.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
I despise the term. I have a friend who is caucasian and was born in South Africa to a South African mother and American father. He now lives in the US. I have another friend who is an ethnic Indian born in Malawi and raised in Malawi, India, UK & US. He is now a naturalized US citizen. Both of these guys like to refer to themselves as African Americans to make a mockery of the term. The reality of it is that they are both truly African Americans where the majority of black Americans are not.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I despise the term. I have a friend who is caucasian and was born in South Africa to a South African mother and American father. He now lives in the US. I have another friend who is an ethnic Indian born in Malawi and raised in Malawi, India, UK & US. He is now a naturalized US citizen. Both of these guys like to refer to themselves as African Americans to make a mockery of the term. The reality of it is that they are both truly African Americans where the majority of black Americans are not.
That misses the point, as it is a term more in relation to the ancestry of origin, not a geographic or continental tag.

As for other countries, there are some that have people of African descent that have become more conscious culturally and use the tag more.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That misses the point, as it is a term more in relation to the ancestry of origin, not a geographic or continental tag.

As for other countries, there are some that have people of African descent that have become more conscious culturally and use the tag more.
I respectfully disagree. The point is that once you are in America and are an American citizen, you are an AMERICAN. Leave all the other labels off. As long as we keep using other labels (white, latino, african american, muslim etc...) we will be a nation divided.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I respectfully disagree. The point is that once you are in America and are an American citizen, you are an AMERICAN. Leave all the other labels off. As long as we keep using other labels (white, latino, african american, muslim etc...) we will be a nation divided.
Labels don't divide people, people do that to themselves and when you don't ACCEPT/TOLERATE the reality of the "diversity" of cultures that your country has, that's when it becomes a problem. Why can't I accept you as a White, Black, Asian, "Hispanic" person? At the end of the day, there are differences, but they shouldn't matter.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 PM

By the way, why isn't this in the Politics and Controversies board?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
Because it pertains to the US, and this is the General US board. If the moderators want it moved then so be it.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
There are two threads below, updated in the last 60 days on this topic in that forum. Since this is a controversy, I recommend the discussion continue in one of those threads. This thread is closed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-african.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-american.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.