Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 274 70.26%
the 00's/now 116 29.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,122,924 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 40s and of course I remember the 80s/90s...they were the best, IMHO...especially the 80s.
People actually drove their cars instead of using them as 60 mph shelters for their cell phone conversations or for their texting marathons!! But I digress....
Music was pretty terrific also.

Johnny Hates Jazz - Turn Back The Clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juAlj0MBVi0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,904,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
I'm 32 years old & I think that life in the late 90's & 00's was mostly based on economic inflation.
In today's time, the US was forced to face reality, which is to live at or within our means, & not beyond what we can afford.
This is what led to the credit crisis.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_n2640_v127/ai_21114557/

That's why most people thought those were the great days but people who knew the truth back then are now shaking their heads saying "see, I told you so".

My conclusion is I think that now is better than the 90's & 00's because everyone who was struck by the recent economic wake-up call has now learned to work mostly for what they need & not only feed their desires for what they want.
We are now living in a time of reality, in which hopefully no one is no longer blinded by inflation.

It's good that today's new generations are learning that "less or just enough is better" rather what some people were taught in the 90's & 00's, which was "living in excess to keep up with the next".
I can see where that argument may come from, but from a personal perspective, the excess materialism (or at least the materialistic attitudes) really came around in the early 2000s (circa 2002). A lot of the excess buying of properties and items that lost value once it went off of the shelf/lot was a notable trend that dominated the 2000s decade, and with it came the worthiness one had in the eyes of others (or even themselves) with the comparison of materialistic things.

But from what you said about today being better, even though people have seem to witness first hand of the consequences of materialism, the attitude that goes along with it seems to be still lingering around.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:38 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,831,193 times
Well I've been alive quite a while. I'd have to say the 80's and 90's were a better time for the most part. It does make a person wish they could turn back the clock.

Now on a personal level things are alright now.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM

872 posts, read 1,703,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I'm in my early 40s and of course I remember the 80s/90s...they were the best, IMHO...especially the 80s.
People actually drove their cars instead of using them as 60 mph shelters for their cell phone conversations or for their texting marathons!! But I digress....
Music was pretty terrific also.

Johnny Hates Jazz - Turn Back The Clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juAlj0MBVi0
the song is OK but what a great video. I feel better having watched it. The location where it was filmed looks exactly like where I grew up. Come to think of it I looked a lot like one of those carefree raggedy kids playing baseball..Good old days.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,135,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Note: This is an offshoot from the "Better Quality of Life - 50's and 60's or Now?" thread.

From what I recall, families for the most part were able to maintain a decent standard of living with responsible spending. There were still a fair amount of one-income families, but a two-income household usually assured at least a middle-class standard of living. There were a few wars and minor recessions here and there, but not to the extent of being life-altering to an entire nation.

The amenities we have today were still around in these days, but just in a more simplified way (but were still entertaining) Instead of Wiis and Playstations, we had Ataris and 8 & 16 bit Nintendos. Instead of HDTV and a trillion satellite channels, we had stereo and basic cable & broadcast channels with quality shows. Instead of T1 and broadband, we had Dial-Up and DSL. Instead of mp3 and iPods, we had cassettes/CDs and walkmans. Despite these things, people still maintained a sense of awareness and communication with the outside world.

Also, people back then seemed a lot more social and outgoing. Parties and get-togethers were more than common during these days (and it wasn't just for birthdays or holidays). The demeanor of many people were more approachable and with less attitude, which made it easier to socialize and meet people in general. The way of making friends and meeting people of the opposite sex involved less manipulation and games, and was just more upfront and genuine. And people - for the most part - used to work out their problems, instead of quitting and pinning blame on everyone else like today.

I could go one and on, but to be honest, it's very hard to argue that today is better than the 1950s for everyone except for perhaps white christian men. But compared to the 1980s and especially the 1990s, the only improvement I've seen in this decade is in technology (a faster and more interactive internet, more video game graphics, utilization of cell phones as computers, etc.). I understand times and trends change, but why does it seem to be for the worst in 9 out of 10 categories.

I know that the (mid-late) 2000s were good and 2010s will be better for me - by a default financial standpoint - because my standard of living increased by attaining a college degree in a decent major, and I'll be able to mobilize myself easier if I don't like a certain city/region. But I'm asking this for the general aspect of the quality of living and the outlook of the 2000s and the upcoming decade.
Excellent topic!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:10 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,560,618 times
I'm going to go ahead and say that to me, the 80s, 90s, and 00s weren't that much different. Basically what The_Fairfaxian says, the technology is simpler, but the idea of it is mostly the same. The 50s and 60s were a bigger difference imo. Then there were more communities designed to be like actual communities with families and neighbors much closer. Afterward, neighborhoods started getting more car-centric and that sort of loosened the relationships.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
The 80s and 90s were definitely better for music and entertainment, but overall, I prefer today's world when it comes to quality of life. The advanced technology is great and educational opportunities are fantastic. People are more aware of issues and seem to be becoming more proactive and outspoken in todays world, and I think people are much more accepting when it comes to race, ethnicity, and sexuality. Crime rates have dropped substantially, and most of our cities have cleaned up very well since the 80s/90s. On a global scale, many countries, especially those in Europe and Asia, have drastically improved their standards of living, and people around the world are tied together closer than ever before. Yes, the global economy sucks and horrible events such as 9/11, war, and numerous natural disasters around the world are devastating, but I think all of our advancements have given this past decade a better quality life.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 17,843 times
Definitely the 90s. Less political correctness than now, and the character of each suburb was preserved. Less white-flight. Less tear-downs of beautiful old homes, and less ticky-tacky new McMansions.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 AM

264 posts, read 491,558 times
I almost had an asthmatic attack just thinking about the 80's and now and how great the money was then I've never made more since.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,877,790 times
I pick the 0s/now. I'm 39, so I have pretty good awareness of both eras. The 80s was still the Cold War, and if people who weren't there think 9/11 and Al Qaeda are a sword over your head, you have no idea. To this day, a hammer and sickle flag makes my heart jump. The 90s were really good, but they are pulled down in this poll by the 80s.

The 0s/today are for me quite good, I've reached the point in my career where I have a good deal of influence and earnings. My children were all born within the last decade, and I'm very much enjoying the maturing relationship with my wife. So that gets my vote, but all in all, I can't really complain about any of the four decades I've lived through nor the fifth one we are embarking upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.