Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 12,841 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a college student looking to move for graduate school. My experience in the United States so far has been limited to mostly the South, as I go to school in Atlanta. I just would like to meet more (!genuinely!) open-minded, and kind-hearted people in the future.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 PM

31 posts, read 76,089 times
Boston. While most people would call us crass and rude (which really just means were in a hurry), New England folk are very honest, open-minded and friendly. I think people unfairly lump us in with New York. Eitherway, we have the finest schools in the country, and whether you are looking for city life or something with a slower pace, we got it. Did I mention we have great schools? Check out Massachusetts alone: List of colleges and universities in Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Oh and here's a map of the greater Boston area's universities and colleges.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Those kinds of people are everywhere.

One of the great things about traveling is that you quickly discover that despite out outward appearances and differences, most people out there are basically kind and willing to accept you for who you are. We just have to give them a chance.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:32 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Just be careful not to confuse politeness, social graces, and small-talk with open-mindedness and kind-heartedness.

But I agree with 18Montclair, I think there are good people everywhere.

ABQConvict

Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Ithaca, NY. Tons of colleges around there you can go to.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Ithaca, NY. Tons of colleges around there you can go to.
True and the people seem to be "down to earth" there. Very laid back area with good colleges like Ivy League Cornell University and Ithaca College.

Anywhere in Upstate NY is more laid back for the Northeast. Rochester might also be a sleeper and has quite few good colleges(Univ. of Rochester, Roch. Institute of Tech., Nazareth, St. John Fisher, Roberts Wesleyan, nearby SUNY-Geneseo and a few others).

In the Central NY region, in which Syracuse is in the heart of, has the 3rd highest concentration of college students in the US:

With 35 college campuses and more than 130,000 students, the 12-county central Upstate region has the third-highest concentration of college students in the country, according to the development association.
How to make CNY attractive to young professionals | Progress -

So, that area could be another option and includes the Ithaca area.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
I'd also say New England.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashi_kashi View Post
Hi, I'm a college student looking to move for graduate school. My experience in the United States so far has been limited to mostly the South, as I go to school in Atlanta. I just would like to meet more (!genuinely!) open-minded, and kind-hearted people in the future.

Thank you!

If you want truly open minded people, DO NOT go to a place that is either very liberal or very conservative. Anyplace that leans far to either side is generally intolerant

I would recommend maybe Rochester, Buffalo or Syracuse NY (moderate cities with good colleges), Houston, San Diego or Denver (again, moderate cities with good colleges)

I graduated from Texas A&M U in College Station and found the people there to be extremely friendly and outgoing with a "live and let live" attitude but I guess you would have to check it out for yourself.

What is your field of study?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 52,326 times
I just moved from New England about 40 min from Boston. I found the people there to be very snobbish and cold. Far from warm hearted.
"Open minded"? I'd say New England commonly spout liberal PCisms but are personally conservative and judgmental.
But...you might like that sort of thing.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,276 times
Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.