Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Ever heard of places called Indianapolis or Detroit? Those places are no further than St. Louis, actually closer.

If the cities of the midwest were compared to a family, Detoilet would be an illegitimate red headed step child that everyone kicks around. Detroit is the armpit of the midwest, well at least it fights Gary Indiana for that title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
From my experiences, Chicagoans are extremely arrogant when it comes to their city, condescending even.

There's an inflated sense of self-righteousness towards peer Midwestern cities that you find much less frequently in relation to New York and its peer cities of the Northeast, or Los Angeles and the West. It's this attitude that makes Chicago an unappealing city, in my mind.
Having lived and spent a considerable amount of time in both the East coast and the West coast, I dispute this.

Many New Yorkers know more about London or Paris than any city on the East Coast, let alone any city that's *gasp* not even ON the coast.

And ask any long-time resident from any state west of the Rockies that isn't California how they feel treated by the typical Los Angeles resident. Or even other Californians who live east of the of the mountains.

By comparison, most Chicagoans carry a mild sense of superiority toward other midwestern cities and either envy or respect its coastal competition.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Honestly I grew up elsewhere in the Midwest, so I have a pretty large background on the cities and places, I've traveled ALL around the Midwest. Many people who came from elsewhere have that input, but really for Chicagoland natives - most of them don't have any huge superiority issue with the Midwest. They just don't really care.

Chicago is very focused on Chicago. Chicago doesn't really think anything much of Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, etc. any more than other cities around the country do. I've never seen Chicagoans think themselves specifically BETTER than everyone else in the Midwest. They just don't really care about the rest of the Midwest.

People take their weekend getaways to Wisconsin and Michigan, but normally not to the cities except Milwaukee which is pretty close with/to Chicago. That said when people do visit St. Louis or Minneapolis, it's usually a fun and relaxing time. I enjoying going to other cities and have fun when I'm there meeting locals and doing whatever I'm there for. I've never been with people who sit around mocking anyone or being as ass. They're there to have fun.

I see other people from the Midwest making heated comments about Chicagoans and how they think the're so much better than everyone else in this region. I think they're reading into it a little too much.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
I'm originally from eastern Ohio and Chicago was never really on my radar growing up. Back then if I was going to take a trip to a big city it would be New York or even Toronto. Of course that is the perspective of somebody from the far eastern end of the Midwest.

Now that a live in Chicago my observation is that people here do not really put much thought into other Midwest cities, unless they happen to be transplants from those cities.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I say we settle this with a fistfight

Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM

306 posts, read 475,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I say we settle this with a fistfight
Oh yaa, you betcha. We got dat furry of da great goldin gopher up here don't cha knoow.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
I've never seen Chicagoans think themselves specifically BETTER than everyone else in the Midwest
I sure have.

I fondly remember Super Bowl XLI and the endless derogatory remarks aimed at the city of Indianapolis, and its citizens--not even the team itself. Over a freaking football game. And this is just the first thing I can think of from off the top of my head. Of course, it didn't work out too well for them in the end.

Again, many large cities do have superiority complexes, but I've never seen anything on the level of a Chicago.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
I see other people from the Midwest making heated comments about Chicagoans and how they think the're so much better than everyone else in this region. I think they're reading into it a little too much.
I think they believe this because they have had too many run-ins with a lot of "Roman Craigs" in their life. I myself having spent a lot of time in Chicago have been the butt of many jokes and rude comments from Chicagoans. Now take into account the people in Northern WI who hate it when anyone with IL plates comes up to "their woods". Then you throw in the speeding BMW SUV tailgating you from IL then people get rubbed the wrong way and start their disdain for anyone from IL. I am not one of these people. I agree with you that most people from Chicagoland don't even think about the rest of the midwest not because of disrespect or anything but Chicagoland is a huge area with a lot going on, their isn't any real reason that Twin Cities should come to mind, unless it's Twins V Cubs of course or Brewers V Cubs, which BTW get's really heated.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:

You live in Chicago. You are in here defending Chicago.

Those of us who don't live in Chicago have a different perspective. Sure, you USED to not live in Chicago, but you do now. As such, your perspective is changed. There is a difference between a Chicagoan who is not from Chicago and a person such as myself that has never lived in Chicago at all.

I know more than a few current and former Chicagoans. All of them, universally, are literaly shocked when I explain that I don't really think of Chicago at all. I am not making that up.

I have had one friend from Chicago say to a friend of mine, "You will never find a worthy husband in Indiana." He then droned on about Chicago.

You don't see that because you are one of them.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:58 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Like the poster from Chicago mentioned earlier, Milwaukee and Chicago are very closely related. Many people have even called Milwaukee "Chicago's mini twin". Most Milwaukeeans don't like that because they really are different, but there's more similarities between these two cities than most others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.