Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 PM

53 posts, read 157,859 times

Advertisements

We live in Buffalo NY. We are a married couple with no children and will never have any. We make around $100-120K total between the two of us.

Question: We want to relocate out of NY State. We love the seasons and will consider all locations but prefer cooler climates with MILD to MODERATE winter weather. Snow is fine but Great Lakes blizzards are what we are trying to get away from. I also want avoid areas with extreme cold in the Winter.

We have enough money saved to relocate TWICE if required. We can move, rent, live, job search etc for a year in each place but then we are tapped out. We are planning a vacation this year and would like to rent an RV and drive around a particular geographical region for two weeks or so. One area I am considering is Utah but the cost of living seems very high. I'm lost. Can anyone suggest some places to relocate with the following?

1) three/four seasons
2) mild/moderate winter weather
3) reasonable taxes/home prices
4) outdoor activity like hunting/camping/etc?

I need some help as we need to get out of this open sewer we live in. We've about had it. Any help greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Seattle, Portland, Vancouver (Washington), and Boise will all work for you. The Pacific Northwest is your place.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
North Carolina sounds about right for you, but the summers can be pretty nasty.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
You could look into St. Louis. Not as extreme a winter as the Great Lakes, though you will still get snow. In St. Louis, April and October are more like summer months than winter. You will have more humid summers, though. But there's plenty of camping and fishing and hiking to be found within a few hours of St. Louis. If you wanted to take a short trip, you could also visit Kansas City, Chicago, Memphis, Indianapolis, Milwaukee. And the cost of living is good. You could live very comfortably on $100,000 a year. City schools are not good, but that shouldn't be of concern to you. There are very nice areas of the city and some nice suburbs as well. It's worth looking into.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
A salary of $100,000 in Buffalo, New York should increase to $103,334 in St. Louis, Missouri

So they're very similar in Cost of Living.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 05:32 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
Hi, I moved from the Buffalo area to Colorado (Denver/Boulder). Have you checked this area out?
  1. Coming from Buffalo, the weather here is fantastic. 310 or 320 days of sunshine. I'm still waiting for a snowfall that compares to Buffalo. Don't get me wrong it has snowed but not like Buffalo. A lot less wind.
  2. Home prices are all over the place. It can be expensive but it just depends where. Currently I live in a suburb similar to Amherst/Williamsville right in between Boulder and Denver. paid under 200k for 3 bed 2 bath, 10 years old 1800sq ft.
  3. Taxes and utilities are insanely lower than NY (60-70% lower). Water is the only bill more expensive and that is approximately $10 more per month.
  4. Outdoor Activities. endless.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
The Harrisburg, PA area has good access to the streams and woods to the north and west, relatively reasonable home prices compared to some of the Eastern big cities, warmer and sunnier than Buffalo but still four seasons - we get sun when the west slopes of the Appalachians get lake effect. Considerably lower taxes and better job climate than upstate NY. Generally more politically conservative.

Pittsburgh has home values more comparable to Buffalo (i.e. fairly low) but anymore a much different vibe, closer to the western PA & WV mountains to play in, lower taxes, still gets some snow and wind but less of both than Buffalo.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Anywhere in the West.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Maybe something in Virginia or the Carolinas. Eastern Tennessee and specifically Knoxville would work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.