Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 AM

264 posts, read 444,153 times

Advertisements

So sad

I don't really know what they do. But this reminds me of a story that was in our newspaper yesterday- I live in NY (upstate, near Albany) and a local lady went to her basement to do laundry and there was a homeless man there- I guess that's how they keep warm here! I would have crapped my pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Tent cities.

Sprung from hardships, tent cities of homeless ignite controversy - The Denver Post

Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
We have homeless shelters and warm centers that open their doors to the homeless when the temperature drops.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Here's a take on the homeless in a not-so-cold part the country:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/05/us/05hawaii.html

Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
In Boston, homeless will hang out in train stations to stay warm. They're littered all over South Station. A couple weeks ago I was using the bathroom before taking the train home and a guy and girl got busted in one of the stalls tying-off. It was fantastic.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times
It is unbelievable that the biggest world's superpower (economic, military, technological, financial, etc...) has so many homeless.
Why does this happen??

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
It is unbelievable that the biggest world's superpower (economic, military, technological, financial, etc...) has so many homeless.
Why does this happen??
We tend to spend a lot of money on wars and aide to developing countries, while ignoring a lot of the problems we have right here at home. I'm not judging the right or wrong of either, but it's a fact. And it's not just homeless, there is a LOT of poverty in America. Just take a look at rural Appalachia and the deep South.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Why does this happen??
The United States has lower taxes than most developed nations, but also has much much more of an "independant" nature as far as individuals, and doesn't have the social services. There's less of a defined "path through life" than in most Western nations. This leads to more of a chance of jumping up through the social scales and going from poor to rich, but it also means if you don't make it for yourself - no one is going to be there to hold your hand.

You get a lot more extremes here than in many places. More extremely upper class, and reversely more extreme poverty.

In Europe many governments will throw an apartment and some money to live at you if you can't carry on yourself, while here they'll just give you enough food to survive and tell you to try and find a job. Although I think the US has a lot more services and chances to better yourself than it's given credit for. Many of them are privately run though, and also many people just don't ask for/accept help.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Then there was the massive closure of public psyhciatric hospitals on the 70s and 80s, with a lack of follow up services to help the would-be patients live dignified lives in the community.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Today, I drove past an ad placed in a bus shelter that said "This bus shelter shouldn't warmer than your home." I assume its talking about the homeless.

This got me thinking, what happens to the homeless on cold, very cold nights in Minneapolis? Where on certain nights, its possible to die from the cold in a matter hours. There are plenty of homeless shelters around, but I doubt they are able to take in ALL the homeless. Anyone have any ideas?
They get to sit on a sidewalk grate and hope to not freeze to death when the shelters are full. But that's okay, we've been protecting them fighting a trillion dollar war in Iraq! I'm sure they're grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.