Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM

306 posts, read 476,121 times

Advertisements

For me at least, living where I do helps me settle down, and relax after a hard or bad day.

For example, tonight I went to my porch, and sat down and smoked a pipe and listen to the sounds of the city. The distant sirens, the occasional cars driving by, the constant sound of the freeway sounds, almost like an ocean.

Other times, when gas isn't too expensive, I just like to drive around. I like to think about the other residents of this city, what there doing. How thousands of others within a few miles have so many different stories and experiences.

Do any of you have any habits similar to mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I find it does when I get really stressed out at work. I'll pull 10 hour days during the busy season, get really stressed out and get in a bad mood. Then I'll walk outside when I finally leave into the packed loop and it really helps my mood. Just knowing there's a ton of activity out there and the world is still going on - waiting for me to finish my busy period and rejoin the energy and activities that are out there.

God, that sounded sappy...but I guess it's true. Haha.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Always. Pueblo is my hobby and I study Pueblo to pass time and forget about my issues.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Not this city. There isn't anything calming about it.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
things from my city that calm me:

mr softee trucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKNRG9hIxGQ

the sounds of r46 trains (f, v, g, r) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AG5UmBaTX8

(particularly 33 sec-1:10 in the vid)

Old 01-20-2010, 07:40 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I work in NYC, and commute home to Jersey City every day. Although JC is a very urban place too, there's something about leaving "the city" (NYC) that gives me a bit of relief every day. My favorite getaway in JC is Liberty State Park. The park is enormous and at its end I can stand at the waterfront, a few hundred feet behind the Statue of Liberty, but more than a mile from the sirens and street noise of JC. I only hear the sounds of the water lapping on the bulkhead. It's very peaceful. Last month, right after a snowstorm, I put on my boots and trekked out there late at night. I was the only soul in the entire park. Total solitude in the heart of the biggest metro in the country. Priceless.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Hearing the planes overhead that are low (but not too too low) help calm me down. I love looking at them to see what airline they are, since most planes flying over me are international.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Fellows Riverside Gardens is just a 10 minute walk from my house. After a bad day, I can get off the bus early and walk around the gardens for awhile and feel completely rejuvenated before I walk home.

Some pics:

Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
For me at least, living where I do helps me settle down, and relax after a hard or bad day.

For example, tonight I went to my porch, and sat down and smoked a pipe and listen to the sounds of the city. The distant sirens, the occasional cars driving by, the constant sound of the freeway sounds, almost like an ocean.

Other times, when gas isn't too expensive, I just like to drive around. I like to think about the other residents of this city, what there doing. How thousands of others within a few miles have so many different stories and experiences.

Do any of you have any habits similar to mine?
I think the bolded part has the most significant of your "relaxing" haha.

I find walking through the Public Gardens after work to be very relaxing...

Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Yes, the area I live in definitely does help calm me down and relax. After work when I drive to the freeway on ramp, I come down a hill and can see the Pacific Ocean and in winter many times can see the sun setting as I drive home. Riding my bike to the gym after work along the boardwalk too. During summer if there is heavy traffic on my commute home I will just go to one of the beaches by my work, go swimming, and lay out on my beach chair. Or sometimes when I drive home I just go to the beach by my house. Going swimming and laying on the beach as the sun sets is so incredibly relaxing, it just makes the work day feel like it never happened.
Coming home to this after work really does help relax me:

I don't normally take the commuter train but for people that do, this is what they get to look at on the way to and from work, pretty relaxing:

Last edited by sav858; 01-20-2010 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.