Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 PM

252 posts, read 724,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Texas A&M @ College Station, UT Austin, UW Madison, Ohio St, are all good for your criteria
A&M doesn't fit his criteria... he's looking for a St. Louis type metropolis area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Honestly, getting into ANY University of California schools as an out of state student is damn near impossible, since they favor in-state students way more. Even with the budget cuts, you would still need about perfect or near perfect stats to get into UCLA (never mind Berkeley).
I wouldn't say it is that hard to get into any University of California school as an out of state student. UCLA and UC Berkeley though are especially hard, usually only taking near perfect students. Here is the overall acceptance rate and then the non-Californian acceptance rate for each campus.

UC Campus: Total Acceptance Rate, Out of State Acceptance Rate

Berkeley: 22.3% total, 18.2% out of state
Davis: 52.7%, 46.1%
Irvine: 49.2%, 32.2%
Los Angeles: 22.3% total, 18.7% out of state
Merced: 91.2%, 84.5%
Riverside: 84.5%, 68.2%
San Diego: 40.1%, 31.4%
Santa Barbara: 49.7%, 38%
Santa Cruz: 73.3%, 61%

Some of the campuses like UC Davis and UC Irvine are great schools that have acceptance rates not really that low for out of state students.

Here is an independent ranking of urban planning schools by Planetizan:
1. MIT
2. UC Berkeley
3. UNC-Chapel Hill
4. Rutgers NJ
5. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
6. Cornell
7. Harvard
8. UCLA
9. University of Southern California
10. University of Pennsylvania
http://www.planetizen.com/topschools

Old 01-29-2010, 12:48 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,870,771 times
Washington University or Saint Louis University

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
I wouldn't say it is that hard to get into any University of California school as an out of state student. UCLA and UC Berkeley though are especially hard, usually only taking near perfect students. Here is the overall acceptance rate and then the non-Californian acceptance rate for each campus.

Some of the campuses like UC Davis and UC Irvine are great schools that have acceptance rates not really that low for out of state students.

Well, we will see what happens next year since the budget cuts have meant that the Regents are willing to accept more OOS students. UCLA and UC Berkeley are already pretty hard to get in as an in-state student as it is, so the added hurdle of being an OOS student makes it even more difficult. However, I have met plenty of OOS students here at Cal, so its not totally impossible.

I think given the OP's criteria and stats, I think a school like UC Santa Barbara (a nice coastal area 100 miles from Los Angeles, but a huge party school), UC Santa Cruz (again, near the coast around 75 miles from San Francisco, but close to San Jose and another party school) would be good.

Quote:
Weighted. I took AP Music Theory last year and maintained a B all year, which as a weighted grade counts as an A (basically, out of like 7 grades, I consitently got 5 A's and 2 B's, inclduing AP Music Theory). And, not to just make up excuses, but sophmore year at my school is known as, hands down, the hardest. I think if I really apply myself I can get to a 3.1-3.3 for the second semester but I know that the next two years will be much easier and I could fairly easily maintain a solid 3.3-3.6. Colleges are aware of Metro's academic standards, not to brag, but a 3.2 their is basically a 3.7 at a typical school.
Well, that might be true because college admissions looks like school's standardized test scores to determine how strong the school is, it only means so much. Just try your best and get back to us at the end of your Junior Year so I can chance you better Right now, at least in California, you're looking at schools like UC Riverside, Merced, Santa Cruz with Davis, Santa Barbara, and Irvine being somewhat of a reach.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post

Here is an independent ranking of urban planning schools by Planetizan:
1. MIT
2. UC Berkeley
3. UNC-Chapel Hill
4. Rutgers NJ
5. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
6. Cornell
7. Harvard
8. UCLA
9. University of Southern California
10. University of Pennsylvania
The Top Schools For Urban Planners | Planetizen
Hmmm, what's Rutgers like, it seems like it might be a nice fit (although it's far)... But it's in Jersey!!

USC seems nice too, so does U of Illinois.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Washington University or Saint Louis University
Definetly have thought about St. Louis University. My high school is actually located pretty much within its campus, so I can absorb the beauty of the area. Plus, I went to a summer camp their for like 5 years straight and absolutely loved it. Plus, i've been to quite a few of the soccer games and have noticed that i'm pretty similar to a fair amount of the students (a little preppy, kind of obnoxious at times, athletic, educated...)
I'm really starting to see that i'm not quite cut out for WashU. I'm a good student, but not one of the nation's elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Well, we will see what happens next year since the budget cuts have meant that the Regents are willing to accept more OOS students. UCLA and UC Berkeley are already pretty hard to get in as an in-state student as it is, so the added hurdle of being an OOS student makes it even more difficult. However, I have met plenty of OOS students here at Cal, so its not totally impossible.

I think given the OP's criteria and stats, I think a school like UC Santa Barbara (a nice coastal area 100 miles from Los Angeles, but a huge party school), UC Santa Cruz (again, near the coast around 75 miles from San Francisco, but close to San Jose and another party school) would be good.

Well, that might be true because college admissions looks like school's standardized test scores to determine how strong the school is, it only means so much. Just try your best and get back to us at the end of your Junior Year so I can chance you better Right now, at least in California, you're looking at schools like UC Riverside, Merced, Santa Cruz with Davis, Santa Barbara, and Irvine being somewhat of a reach.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 AM

Hey my "create your own city" friend!

Both of my parents went to a university in the Chicago area so I feel like going to a good Chicago university would like continue the legacy . I love the lifestyle of Chicago and could easily see myself going to a strong university in/around Chicago. Other than Northwestern and University of Chicago (where my dad got his master's from, but i'm just not cut out for it), a Chicago college with strong academics, lively scene, nice campus, nice neighborhood, maybe a good math/science program... would be the best choice for me. So thanks.

My cousin goes to Illinois State so I could ask him about that.

Besides the Texas ones I think those are good ideas.

I should probably add that I'd rather not go to a religious university. (Depaul, Loyola. Notre Dame...)

Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
I'm a senior in high school, so here's a thread I can relate to.
I screwed up though, I'm going right to community college first before I get the chance to be in a 4 year college/university.

I too was looking into urban planning for a while, and when I did I looked into SUNY at Albany. It's a great school. It has a nice campus, it's in a nice area, and It's not too far from any future opportunities.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm a senior in high school, so here's a thread I can relate to.
I screwed up though, I'm going right to community college first before I get the chance to be in a 4 year college/university.

I too was looking into urban planning for a while, and when I did I looked into SUNY at Albany. It's a great school. It has a nice campus, it's in a nice area, and It's not too far from any future opportunities.
Actually, saw that college on the US News site because it was rated pretty well.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:21 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Actually, saw that college on the US News site because it was rated pretty well.
It is a good school and it seems to fit you tastes.

As for the Chicago area schools, I believe that Illinois-Chicago might be perfect, as it is has a very diverse student population and I think it has programs that you are looking for. University of Illinois at Chicago - College

UIC | College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs

UIC College of Architecture and the Arts

UIC College of Business Administration

University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) - College of Engineering

About UIC | Academic Departments

UIC Flames Official Athletic Site

Northeastern Illinois would be perfect, except they dropped their athletic department in 1998. They used to play in the Summit League.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-31-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.