Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
in that big blizzard in NC and Va., the MAJORITY of the cars going up North had FLORIDA plates.

The old folks were going up North to see their kids. WHY didn't their kids want to spend the Hollidays in "paradise"?
Because their kids can't afford to bring themselves and the grandkids to paradise. It's cheaper for the old folks to go have a white Christmas in a different kind of trailer park.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
People move away from places for all kinds of reasons. Cost of living may be a popular one, but so are:

1. weather
2. family
3. job transfer
4. opportunity
5. etc
True but the vast majority are senior citizens who are living on fixed incomes. Florida ain't called Gods waiting room for nothing.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
I lived in NJ over 30 years, California for a couple and now SC for almost 3 years. NJ and NY are full of corruption in the State Governments, not to mention Mafia and now gangs like the Latin Kings, Bloods , Crypts etc.. Its pretty hard to be an honest respectable person up there without getting your teeth kicked in, plain and simple. NJ is no place to raise a kid unles you like sleeping in a one bedroom apartment with them for the low price of $1200 a month (price in a bad neighborhood if you are lucky)
Oh give me a break. You didn't see much of Jersey in your 30 years if that's all you think it is. I raised a great kid and she had everything she needed. And now I pay $1400 for two-bedroom and live a mile from the beach.

Can't argue about the state governments, though. Especially our Garden State.

And it's the "Crips".

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM

50 posts, read 86,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I have a question, why the hate? What's your problem with "northerners"? I just moved from CT to VA for my husband's job. I have otherwise lived my entire 40 yrs in New England. I moved because of job and cost of living, it's that simple. Doesn't mean at all that I "hate" New England, on the contrary I love it. Just couldn't afford to stay.

When people from the south do move up North, no one ever says "why are all you SOUTHERNERS moving in on our territory?". No one...they are normally welcoming and interested to see what your perspective is. I can genuinely say I have never felt so unwelcome in an area as I do sometimes walking around my small country Virginia town. Thankfully there are alot of transplants from other areas who are very friendly, otherwise it would be intolerable.

To answer your question - if people move from the North it is typically due to climate, job opportunity and cost of living...and again the age groups that move voluntarily (not due to a job transfer or opportunity) are probably recent college grad and retirees.
I don't see how I am being hateful. If people are going to move down here so much I would just like to see the South shown more respect.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You're from MI and have to ask why someone would want to leave?
Where do you get that idea? MI?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I was a northerner who moved to the south for a year. I didn't actually talk about it though. Back up north again. You question is worded in a way that is kinda confusing. Is it the % of people who talked/discussed moving to the south, people who actually moved to the south after talk/discuss, or people that moved to the south without talk/discussion? Within this category is it limited to friends/relatives/neighbors, or can I include say a stranger I met once on the street who mentioned they wanted to go to the south? I know friends/relatives/neighbors who moved to the South, but none of them really talked/discussed it. So my estimate would be 1%. It would be 3-5% if it were ALL people I met up North who mentioned wanting to move to the South. If you want to know the % that moved to the south from the North and stayed for over a year without talk/discussion I would say around 5% for friends/relatives/neighbors + people I know (sometimes barely). If you want to just know friends/relatives/neighbors who moved to the south without discussing it I would say <5%. These are just estimates off the top of my head. I am sure some of the people I met want to move to the south, but never mentioned it to me. There is no way I could give an estimate for this as I would be guessing.
That gives me a good enough idea .

Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The weather is the main reason.

That said though - there are 100,000,000 people living in the north, and the Northeast/Midwest are still growing as they always have been (although I think the Northeast might have lost a little population in the 70's). There are thousands of people that move from north to south, but statistically it's insignificant.

I think the thing we see is that MORE northerns move south than visa versa. It's certainly not that ALL northerners are wanting to move south. A vast majority stay put, and are fine with that.

I know of around 15 people who have moved south during the past 20 years. 10 of them to Arizona and California, 5 of them to Florida. For whatever reason all 5 of the people who moved to Florida got really sick of it and one after another came back up to the Midwest to continue their lives. Of the 10 that went to Arizona and California, 8 of them have stayed and 2 came back.

I think Southerners meet all these northerners that didn't like the north and left - and they assume that must be a general feeling up here. I mean you could have 50,000 people a year move down south, but still 99.95% of the population stayed up here.

Of people I talk to in Chicago, a pretty big majority of them would move out to North California/Oregon/Washington or to the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast if they felt like moving.
Thank you . Good post .

Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Well, I don't have grandkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Because their kids can't afford to bring themselves and the grandkids to paradise. It's cheaper for the old folks to go have a white Christmas in a different kind of trailer park.
NEITHER of my daughters wanted to spend Christmas in Florida, especially the one who actually lived here and moved back. ONE Christmas with 80 degrees was enough for her.

As they say, one man's paradise, is another man's ----.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
<10% = those who've moved south
Of this group, more than 75% did so as retirees who couldn't afford to pay taxes.
Within the retiree subset, 2 had debilitating diseases (and 2 were their spouses) which made their northern homes almost impossible to navigate. They took their NY money from the sale of their homes and built less expensive, handicapped accessible homes in FL.

>90% = those who remained up north
Those of means can afford to stay here, or if they're moving it's cross country, within the northeast, or to Europe.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I don't sense any 'south' hatred from those who talk of their moves (or potential move) south. It's a different place, different traditions, different way of life. Some folks are bright enough to understand that they can't move elsewhere (be it north or south) and expect it to be what they left behind.

(Personal observation: my folks moved to an area which resembles where I grew up. Only differences: palm trees, people who obey speed limits, politeness, and more big box stores.)
Thanks. And of course I wouldn't want to keep people with health conditions in an area of the country that would make things difficult for them. I completely understand.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I said I would be leaving New york upon retirement...not to the USA south..I am retiring to Panama
interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.