Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:53 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,075 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to make a move from California to one of these cities by the end of 2007 and would appreciate your help. I'm a student who recently decided to return to school as a result of a career change. So in a sense, like all of us, I'm starting over. I'm not a "city hopper" and I know exactly what I want. Now it's just a matter of narrowing down the right city, neighborhood that would be a good fit for me.

My interests: Low cost of living *very important* I'm looking to rent a nice one bedroom apartment for $600. A studio will suffice but a one bedroom is ideal.

Good community college system and public University. Not Private.

Looking to move to the city. No suburbs.

Everything should be very close and in walking distance as I don't like to drive.

Ideally a community/section of town inhabited by immigrants, artists and college students. A bohemian community that feels like Venice, CA or Grenwich Village, NY or Wicker Park in Chicago. Love cultural variety, multi-ethnic neighborhoods with lots of Thrift Stores and 2nd hand movie theaters. 2nd hand music stores that still sell vinyl. Neighborhood grocery and laundromats and a good public transportation system as I don't drive. Nice weather year round is also good but I can cope with a little heat or rain, so long as I can still breathe...

Strong economy is important and opportunities for white collar workers in the financial sector should be strong. Also, good compensation is important, regardless of the cost of living in that state.

Lastly, a liberal mentality with compassion for all things would be nice. Personally, I don't care if you're republican or liberal, white or black, gay or lesbian, etc. So long as you have a good heart, are not selfish and willing to make America a better place for humanity, we'll get along great.

Well, would be very interested to hear what city you would recommend as well as the neighborhood. Please give a detailed account if you can as it will help me get a better understanding. If you're a Native that's even better but all comments are welcome and appreciated.

P.S. California is a wonderful state, BEAUTIFUL WEATHER year round, rich in culture, endless activities and gorgeous lakes/beaches with a good school system. The problem, and yes it is a problem, the real-estate. I can't afford to continue to pay $1,200 for a one bedroom "box" or buy a house starting at $600k minimum. My budget is $600 per mo MAX. So, I have decided to find a new home as many people can no longer afford to live in the sunshine state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 03:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Portland. Its probably the most affordable of all those cities, and closest to what youre looking for. The weather is mild, but be prepared for lots of gloomy days. For $600 a month in the rest of those cities mentioned, will land you a dive in the ghetto. And none of those cities offer any cultural 'hoods like NYs Greenwich Village or Wicker Park here in Chicago. If I were you, I would look into Austin, TX or maybe Madison, WI.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm at a toss between Houston and Portland. Damn this is so difficult because there are always trade offs with each city. I know that cost of living in all those cities is very reasonable and I heard that they pay well. I did a lot of research but call me skeptical, I trust you guys, the locals more than the analysts who can very easily make a mistake in their analysis.

Love Chicago, NY and Cali. Lived in ALL of them. Immigrants, artists, students elderly are all cool. I want to be around down to earth people, you know the average Americans that are NOT self absorbed. Anything but the Suburbs and wealthy upscale environments. Laid back culturally mixed communities with everything at your disposal is what I'm seeking.

Wisconsin-Very cold, didn't care for it. Beautiful place to visit though.
Strongly considered Austin- Only thing that stops me with Austin is it's to much of a "party college town." Those "party years" are over for me, at least temporarily..lol

There's something about the "big city" feel that I love. Walking out the door and having everything you need is a great feeling and big cities seem to always have an abundance of resources, jobs, opportunities etc. I guess politics and cost of living is pushing people out of their homes. Now more than ever. I look forward to hearing your suggestions....

Old 05-26-2007, 04:35 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,464 times
If your looking at price alone, Houston is the least expensive.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:53 PM

Price/cost of living is a major consideration but there's also the weather, public transit system, good schools, economy and good pay regardless of the cost of living. My initial post should give you a clear picture as to what I'm seeking.

Hot and humid weather is never easy. I would prefer 65 degrees year round with an overcast/fog but NO rain...That's my "ideal" climate. However, I will take warmth over cold any day.

Heard so many good things about Portland but don't know if Houston would be a better fit. Atlanta peaked my interests but I heard they are way to southern with a strong right wing bible belt feel. Which is ok, I just prefer a less restrictive environment. A city where you can find just about anything and everything within walking distance of your apartment....

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Looking to move to the city. No suburbs.

Everything should be very close and in walking distance as I don't like to drive.

Ideally a community/section of town inhabited by immigrants, artists and college students. A bohemian community that feels like Venice, CA or Grenwich Village, NY or Wicker Park in Chicago. Love cultural variety, multi-ethnic neighborhoods with lots of Thrift Stores and 2nd hand movie theaters. 2nd hand music stores that still sell vinyl. Neighborhood grocery and laundromats and a good public transportation system as I don't drive.
That is not Phoenix at all. You may be able to find all that in the Phoenix area, but not all in one place within walking distance. Phoenix is not a walkable city by any stretch of the imagination.

I think you'd like Portland, though.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:51 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Portland. Its probably the most affordable of all those cities, and closest to what youre looking for. The weather is mild, but be prepared for lots of gloomy days. For $600 a month in the rest of those cities mentioned, will land you a dive in the ghetto. And none of those cities offer any cultural 'hoods like NYs Greenwich Village or Wicker Park here in Chicago. If I were you, I would look into Austin, TX or maybe Madison, WI.
Well actually, Houston is the cheapest. $600 in Houston won't land you in the ghetto, but less than that will. Houston's weather in the summer doesn't get above 100 degress (with humidity). It only has a few times since 2000. The winters are mild, with barely any freezes, and if there is one, it isn't that bad. More sunshine than in Portland, too.

Houston has many walkable neighborhoods. Rail is currently expanding (construction starts this month). A very good bus transportation system that covers the whole city. I suggest you come for a visit. You'll like it hear.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:07 PM

Just like I thought. I didn't think that $600 would get you in the "ghetto" for that price you can get a BEAUTIFUL "studio" in Chicago a "room" in California or NY. So, if my understanding of economics are accurate you should be able to land a good, spacious "one bedroom" in a mixed community in either Portland or Houston for that price. It only makes sense if the stats are accurate with those cities having a "low cost of living" So yes, I expect to see some major economic differences as opposed to "minor ones"

Modster recommended I check out the East End area of Houston. It's supposed to fit my interests.

What are some communities that you think would fit what I'm seeking in "either" city?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:10 PM

The cool thing about Houston is the "quantity of people" I like BIG CITIES, just not so sprawled out like a suburb. With big cities comes abundant resources, more development and access to whatever you need. Also, I should point out that I'm NOT in to zoning. So any neighborhood that doesn't have zoning is a plus.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Houston is a nice city but it really isn't walkable neither is Phoenix or Atlanta. Portland is the only truly walkable city on your list. Houston, Phoenix, and Atlanta are all very sprawled-out and while each has its' own walkable neighborhoods, the cities as a whole are very car-dependant. Portland has a great downtown and is a fairly liberal city. $600/ month won't get you much in Phoenix but it'll get you a nice studio or *possible* 1 bedroom in Portland. $600 in Atlanta or Houston should be able to get you a 1 bedroom although I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.