Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 5,524 times

Advertisements

Im a 27 year old single guy and am looking to a city in the South. A little bit about me, I was born in Santa Monica and have lived in Orange County, CA since college. I have always wanted to experience living in another state and environment for at least 6 months or so before I get to old and the opportunity passes. My plan is to end up coming back to California after that but I wouldn't be opposed to staying long term if I enjoy it.

I am having trouble picking a city to move to. To put what I like into perspective, I grew up in LA and pretty much hated it. The traffic, sprawling city, run down places, people generally rude, no culture at all, expensive etc. I enjoy Orange county a lot better but still doesn't have much a culture (food, sports, or other) except for maybe a beachy vibe near the coast. I dont really care for the beach but love the moutains Also which I feel is similar, I enjoyed Fort Worth more than Dallas when i visited because it felt less like a "big city" which I have always lived in. I recently took a weeklong camping road trip across new mexico and I realized I really like the "country side" rather than the city. Even Albuquerque felt too urban and sprawling for me. But I realize this may not be possible considering ill need to get a job and im single. Regarding cost, remember I live in Southern California and am paying $1,000 to have my own room but share a bathroom in an apartment so it cant get much worse than out here. The cheapest 1 bedrooms are $1600 minimum here.

The reason for the south is that I love everything about it even though I have only been to Texas. I love country music, college football, sports in general, bbq food, live music, and am a conservative. And the southern accent is so amazing to me. The city doesn't have to be conservative obviously but being in a red state is appealing to me in general. I do like the outdoors and camping and am not crazy about the beach since I grew up with it (except for its amazing weather). Im basically looking for something different then what i grew up with. I like going out to bars/clubs sometimes but I mainly like not as crazy bars and love live music type atmospheres and two stepping bars. I like the South/East Coast area because it would give me the chance to travel to a lot of sports cities on weekends and see some NFL, MLB, and college football stadiums I wouldn't have the chance to see. I have traveled to a lot of cities across the US. Denver, Austin, Philly, Chicago, New York, San Fran, Boston, etc and found that a lot of big cities can sort of blend together in how they feel.

So basically for at least 6 months im looking for something different. My first thought was Nashville obviously because of the country music and live music scene. But after looking at videos and talking to friends, it mainly seems like a Southern version of vegas which seems miserable with traffic, tourists, non stop partying etc. And just in general not that different because of the tourists.

Ive ruled out Charleston (too beachy/touristy it seems), the NC big cities and triad (too urban), Asheville (beautiful apparently but the southern version of San Francisco), Atlanta (wayyy too big city). Probably not Knoxville or Chatanooga either. Savannah also seems nice but not sure about the job and singles market.

Narrowed to down to:

Nashville: Obviously its a huge draw for its job market, younger dating market, BBQ, and live country music. But im really scared that ill get there and be like "geez this is just like a southern version of Vegas or LA." I mean i love all the stuff I mentioned, but I keep hearing how crowded its getting and sprawling and im worried ill see it as just another big urban city and not like it. Im thinking maybe I can live in a suburb like Brentwood or Franklin and live away from the city and still be able to head to Nashville when I want to?

Greenville: Probably the #1 or #2 recommendation ive heard. Seems to be a good mix of outdoor scenery, southern culture, not too touristy or crowded, and such. Have heard that it might be bad for a single 20's guy but isnt Clemson not far? Worried it could be too "cookie cutter" for me in the sense where there isnt much to do but not sure

Birmingham: Not sure if it would be a good fit since it is the city but seems to have an old southern vibe to it which i mat like. Plus college football. So ill need to visit.

Athens Or Tuscaloosa: Yes 2 college towns. Everyone says it is a good experience down there and good things to do, girls, food, while not being too touristy. Worried ill just be stuck in a college town while not going to college.

Suburb of Atlanta: : This is kind of offbeat because I have never heard once someone recommend an Atlanta suburb such as Decatur, Alpharetta, etc. But for whatever reason i think it coul dbe a good place to live even though I hate atlanta. Everyone i meet from there is super nice with a nice accent. And seems pretty quaint and would be a good feel. But really have no idea.

Ive heard Louisville and Lexington too.

Then again thinking about it I like a good mix of city and country. I do like camping in the mountains, hikes occasionally, horseback riding, sitting on a porch, but also like being able to go to a live music country bar, sports game, hot new restaurants, etc. It doesnt have to have an amazing hopping downtown but just some good things to do.

I wouldnt want Texas because ive been there so many times even though I do love it. And definitely not Atlanta because that seems like exactly what I wouldnt like.

For work I am currently a Front Desk agent at a hotel for a Hilton, so that gives me an opportunity to potentially transfer to one of these cities. Beyond that if I cant transfer, it would be nice if the job market in the city is relatively good (or if im able to drive for uber and lyft and make a decent amount in the mean time). Also of course the city with the hottest girls gets +10 points haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 04:01 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
For any kind of a singles scene I wouldn't be fixated on cities under 100K (Greenville for instance) and would consider the middle tier cities more of a match. Given your desire for close to the action but perhaps not right in it I'd look at Louisville, Lexington or perhaps what could be your dark horse, Richmond VA. It's not far from the Blue Ridge Mountains, sits on a river which offers great recreational options (James River), it's affordable, thriving and has tons to do for young professionals.

https://www.visitrichmondva.com/

Old 09-01-2019, 04:23 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times
Greenville's urban population is over 400,000.

It doesn't make any sense to assert Greenville has no singles scene.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Greenville's urban population is over 400,000.

It doesn't make any sense to assert Greenville has no singles scene.
The city proper has 68K, that's tiny from a singles perspective and most certainly would limit the "pool" as most singles aren't drawn to life in the burbs.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:33 PM

Singles from the burbs go downtown Greenville. Not every single person lives in a downtown area. There isn't a forcefield around downtown that keeps people out.

Also, you don't have to go downtown to meet other people.

In the past, you've also said that there aren't many bars in downtown Greenville. There are bars all over the place, and there are entertainment places like Top Golf and Dave & Busters.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-01-2019 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-01-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Singles from the burbs go downtown Greenville. Not every single person lives in a downtown area. There isn't a forcefield around downtown that keeps people out.

Also, you don't have to go downtown to meet other people.

In the past, you've also said that there aren't many bars in downtown Greenville. There are bars all over the place, and there are entertainment places like Top Golf and Dave & Busters.
Of course you can travel to the varying places geared toward singles in their 20s but there is something to be said for density and the constant distance driving (15 or more minutes), especially if at a bar is not only tiresome but not desirable considering safety/law enforcement concerns. If I were the OP, living in an area with more immediate access to others my age would be a criteria at his stage of life.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Most people work and you would only have to drive downtown one time after work.

Most singles that I knew and know rent an apartment or own a home outside of the downtown area. You gonna get ripped off if you live in a downtown area and get less house.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:29 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The city proper has 68K, that's tiny from a singles perspective and most certainly would limit the "pool" as most singles aren't drawn to life in the burbs.
So would Greenville be a suitable candidate when it comes to size if it consolidated with its county and became a city of 400K+ overnight?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:35 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonaterla View Post
Ive ruled out Charleston (too beachy/touristy it seems), the NC big cities and triad (too urban), Asheville (beautiful apparently but the southern version of San Francisco), Atlanta (wayyy too big city). Probably not Knoxville or Chatanooga either. Savannah also seems nice but not sure about the job and singles market.
Why did you rule out the Triad? Among the complaints I've heard about the region, "too urban" has never been one of them. I think Greensboro and Winston-Salem could be good options and you should check them out.

Ruling out Knoxville and Chattanooga is a bit baffling to me also. They check just about all of your boxes.

Another option you should explore is the NW Arkansas region (Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale).

Old 09-01-2019, 06:44 PM

186 posts, read 283,766 times
Hasn't the OP posted this on here several times already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.