Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Ocala, Florida
the "good ole boy" mentality of the city and county government
Tourists and snowbirds
Too many retirees
Lack of ability to attract new gowth/jobs
Illegals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Jersey City:

Its reputation as the most corrupt city in America (believe me, it earned it!)
Tax abatements to luxury developments that don't need them, at the expense of taxpayers citywide.
Property taxes up 11% last year, up 25% this year, up how much next year?
Pay-to-play
City employees with 2 or 3 city jobs and 2 or 3 city salaries because they're friends or relatives of politicians.
A fire department with one captain (earning $200K) for every two firefighters.
A "pedestrians as an afterthought" transportation planning approach, which doesn't work in a dense city. It's very suburban circa 1980s mindset.
A drunken mayor who gets naked and gets into fights down at the shore. He probably knows Snookie.
A vice-mayor (title only, no job responsibilities, and serious salary) who got busted for stealing a rental car
A city councilman (recently voted out) who urinated on a crowd of people during a show in DC
It would be comedy if it weren't true.

And despite all of that, I like living here.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Now I'm sure no body thinks where they live is perfect.

Anybody have any issues with their town/city that just get under your skin? state them here. This doesn't mean you hate the town you live in either, so don't feel nervous that your pride is shattering away.

I thought this would be a good way to open a few minds!
Growth. I've seen Salt Lake County go from a relatively small, still very agrarian and quiet place to a congested, overpopulated urban hell in only a couple of decades. And the population is expected to double again in the next 20 years

Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Los Angeles, CA

Where in hell do I start??lol

Insane trafic for one.
Gangs, graffiti, and illegals.
Pathetic local government(eg. Tony Villar).
Overall just not the city I grew up in back in the 70s and 80s. Its been going downhill ever since the 90s.:-(

Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Columbus Ohio: That car centric image it conjures and the lack of a decent mass transit system and walkable neighborhoods for a city proper of over 700,000 . Not everyone can afford or ever desire to drive here in C-bus! However it looks like people here haven't much choice as to whether they want to drive to everywhere or not. IMHO, this situation brings on traffic clogged highways, aggressive drivers ,road rage and the worst- an increased risk of being injured ( or worse! ) in a traffic accident.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I never got to state my cities issues.

My city has a lot of drug issues for one.
There's also a lot of good for nothing thugs who chill around the high School. If anything, there should be more enforcement to move these "thugs" away from that area because there's loads of kids who often drop by that area for lunch and it's not surprising to hear someone getting robbed, or attempted to be robbed. (they know to stay clear of me though )

Old 02-04-2010, 04:04 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I'd say the lack of vision in terms of the potential of the city/area, the negative/"it sucks" attitude some people have here, the urban schools not being better than they should in terms of general performance(eventhough if you want to learn you can) and the poverty in some neighborhoods.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
Things that irritate me about the town I live in:

1. The cops seem to love to harrass anyone (and if they have arrested you before, they really are bad at harrassing).

2. Parking lots in most places here are too small (most vehicles can't turn to the spot to park. Have to back up, if there isn't someone behind you if you're lucky, to get to that spot perfectly).

3. Some of the people here (some love to pass bad rumors/gossip about anyone. And most here don't take regular showers/baths everyday either. And most of the men are nasty looking, never shave, or wash).

4. Some of the bars are like Frat Houses (beer pong games??! Please! This isn't a college town. It's for more conservative mature adults. I'd love to see a 30+ only kind of bar here someday. That would be awesome!).

5. It's a little too spread out (a lot of people here don't have a car and there is no public bus transportation to go back and forth).

6. It's more a "MOM & POP" type of town (what I mean is, that people who were born and raised here get treated better and know where and what events are going on all year round. While the rest of us here, who've only lived here a few years, never know anything. And people from here get the jobs, it seems. Seems like most of the jobs here only hire people they grew up with here).

7. The community pool here is only open for 4 hours out of the day!! (that sucks. Back home in Texas, we had a city pool that opened from 10am-10pm. Those were some great summer days! But here it's like 1pm-4pm. That sucks and it gets too damn hot to go down there at times. What are we supposed to do the rest of the day when it gets up to 110 degrees??!! Sheesh!!).

8. Everything seems to be ass backwards here (like #7, that's so ass backwards...It's hot as hell, why close so damn early).

Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
-The yuppies
-The hip neighborhoods
-The traffic
-The speed traps
-The red-light cameras
-Some people's outrageously snobby attitude
I feel the same way about my city.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Naples: If you can even call this a CITY. Where I lived on Long Island was more of a city than Naples is.

Most stores close when it isn't snowbird season. At our country club, the food isn't as good during the summer when snowbirds aren't here. It seems like this city caters to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.