Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

Texas, are there even shows or movies that take place there?

I liked Billy Jean but that's the only movie I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Phoenix, huge film office, large studios and agents. Many movies "set" in L.A. are filmed in Phoenix...

Many of the recent movies about Iraq, Afghanistan, terrorism dealing with middle east setting, where filmed in some of the deserts around these parts as well.

The dichotomy is interesting with the amount of green in the Central City oasis and the open desert only miles away. But I'd like to see more movies/tv shows SET in Phoenix.
Well, this goes back way too many years, but I can't get enough of the opening shots of a much smaller Phoenix in Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960). Just terrific.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I think there really should be more shows set in Texas, particularly urban Texas, and I'm not even all that interested in Texas. However it's a very large state that apparently has a number of large, increasingly diverse, cities. Dallas and Houston are possibly the biggest cities to be almost completely ignored by series TV.

Considering their size/significance Indiana, Missouri, and Ohio seem relatively ignored. St. Louis seems like a good setting for a gritty crime drama or crime film, but so far as I know that's only rarely done. Cincinnati hasn't been the site of any notable show/film since WKRP or it seems like that anyway. "Glee" is set in Lima, Ohio so maybe more Ohio shows is possible. Indianapolis seems a natural for something, but rarely is shown.

Lastly the Dakotas, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Nebraska, and Tennessee seem pretty ignored from what I can tell. It might be neat to see a movie or show set in a city in any one of those states. In the case of the Idaho and Nebraska I don't think their accents are all that thick/difficult, or you could get away with having such characters speak Basic American English, so that should make some things easier.

If you mean more where they actually make the show or film, as opposed to the setting, I guess I don't care as much about that. Still I might say Tennessee again. I think they have low-wage workers and some entertainment industry.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas in general. Lots of movies are filmed in Texas but movies are usually set somewhere else. If a movie is dealing with Texas; 9 out of 10 its going to be about country people living on farms.

I get so tired of every time Dallas is portrayed or put in a movie; Someone has to be wearing cowboy hats.
Its so funny to find out that "Dallas" was not filmed in Dallas but in a studio backlot in Los Angeles.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM

72 posts, read 100,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Louisiana. We're already #3 behind CA and NY. It would be nice if we could get more without turning LA into L.A.
Well, there may not be much of a choice until N O gets completely recovered.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
I would really like to see what some other cities that are not depicted much look like. Cities that I think should definately have more camera time are and in no particular order:

Savanah, just don't know that much about it but it looks like a really cool city. And from what I've seen in pictures, it interests me.

Boston,-There have been a number of them as of late, but for years, there were not alot of filming in and around Boston proper.

Denver,--I would like to see this city showcased more as well on film.

Portland Maine, Portsmouth, NH, and Burlington Vermont are all pretty unigue and interesting little cities which could use a little showcasing on film.

Philadelphia,--I always liked seeing Philly on film. Great city on film.

Charlotte, -Don't ever really hear anything about it, The southern focus is usually Atlanta, Houston or Dallas.

Charleston SC,--Another interesting city which I think would look good in film.

Fargo ND,--It's on odd city, so let's showcase it more in film.

Baton Rouge, LA,--Another really interesting city which I would like to see more film on.

Seattle,--Although big in the nineties, Seattle hasn't had as many movies there in the last decade. I always liked the geography of that region of Washington state.

Omaha, NE--I've been there and it's an interesting city. The midwest outside of Chicago should be represented more.

Somewhere in Mississipi, It is just an interesting state.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
It would be nice to have a show set and filmed in San Diego, very few movies and tv shows are set and filmed here. Even Anchorman was mostly shot in LA. But with proximity to LA as well as sharing similar geography and look I doubt any studio would want to spend the extra money to film here.

I like seeing shows and movies set in New Orleans, great city to film in.

Once LOST is done, I don't think there will be anymore shows set in Hawaii, I like seeing shows set there b/c of how beautiful the islands are.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Texas, are there even shows or movies that take place there?

I liked Billy Jean but that's the only movie I can think of.
Jason's Lyric
Texas Chainsaw Massacre series
Friday Night Lights
Selena
Miss Congeniality
Coach Carter
Robocop (1 & 2)
Prison Break series
Where the Heart is
Apollo 13
A Perfect World
Reality Bites
Slackers

Lots of movies take place or filmed here, but they are either stereotypical or set for somewhere else.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Speaking of movies, I just spent an extra 20 min on the expwy because they have an exit closed for a movie scene.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Jason's Lyric
Texas Chainsaw Massacre series
Friday Night Lights
Selena
Miss Congeniality
Coach Carter
Robocop (1 & 2)
Prison Break series
Where the Heart is
Apollo 13
A Perfect World
Reality Bites
Slackers

Lots of movies take place or filmed here, but they are either stereotypical or set for somewhere else.
Coach Carter with Samuel L.?
Wasn't filmed in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.