Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 91,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Just picking a nit, but as far as NJ is concerned, parts of NJ (northwest) have climates like the Boston area in as far as temps and snowfall. Terrain in this area (hilly/"mountainous") will dictate weather more than latitude. Typically we get twice as much snow as NYC. You've gotten some really excellent responses and typify what these boards are about!

I personally love the Boston area wouldn't cry one bit if I had to move there.
thanks so much to all for the continued comments. As for mountains, I love the mountains in particular cuz I am an avid mountain biker. In fact I have already planned what my "snow bike" would look like if we move ANYTHING to justify a new bike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesluopge View Post
thanks so much to all for the continued comments. As for mountains, I love the mountains in particular cuz I am an avid mountain biker. In fact I have already planned what my "snow bike" would look like if we move ANYTHING to justify a new bike
haha nice! There are tons of places to go mountain biking in the area surrounding Boston so it may be perfect for you!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
haha nice! There are tons of places to go mountain biking in the area surrounding Boston so it may be perfect for you!
speaking of which, "stuff" to do, so i can have coherent replies for the kids who now know we may be moving as daddy is interviewing, how far to skiing from Boston?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:54 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
I think Wachusett is like an hour away...you can actually reach it by commuter rail if you're living in the city! However if you want to go to one of the bigger mountains like Killington, you're looking at about 2 1/2-3 hours.

Be forewarned: the mountains in the East are pretty good, but they're not nearly as good as the mountains you have out West.

Boston is surrounded by top-notch beaches on the South Shore, Cape, and of course Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 02-05-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
The White Mountains in NH are within 2 hours from downtown Boston. These are the most prominent mountains east of the Rockies and offer some great skiing.

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benfrantzdale/3199643277/ - broken link)

Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
I would move to Boston because Maryland gets cold like Boston, but I find the cold weather to be more miserable when there is no snow. At least the snow is a beautiful sight when it is freshly fallen in the morning, but when it is just cold and cloudy with dustings of snow they get in Maryland I think it is miserable.

But Boston is very expensive. Schools are very good though and when your kids graduate your kids would have college opportunities they would not have elsewhere with Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Northeastern University, UMass, Boston University etc. UConn, Brown University, URI are not too far away. Then there is Columbia, NYU, Princeton etc in the NYC area.

Athletics are very popular in the Northeast. Lacrosse, baseball, football, basketball, hockey you will find many fans of each.

Food well that is easy. Pizza, chicken wings, clam chowder, lobster, bagels all Northeastern specialties.

Overall I am going to miss living in the Northeast. The traffic is mainly why I am leaving the NYC area. Oh that reminds me, if you move to Boston get used to getting cut off, getting tailgated badly, and all of that. Boston drivers are notorious for their insane driving. You will see that the minute you get on the road there. They are 10 times worse than NY and CA drivers.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 02-06-2010 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
The White Mountains in NH are within 2 hours from downtown Boston. These are the most prominent mountains east of the Rockies and offer some great skiing.

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/benfrantzdale/3199643277/ - broken link)
thanks so much! That is less than the distance we currently are from below average skiing.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I would move to Boston because Maryland gets cold like Boston, but I find the cold weather to be more miserable when there is no snow. At least the snow is a beautiful sight when it is freshly fallen in the morning, but when it is just cold and cloudy with dustings of snow they get in Maryland I think it is miserable.

But Boston is very expensive. Schools are very good though and when your kids graduate your kids would have college opportunities they would not have elsewhere with Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Northeastern University, UMass, Boston University etc. UConn, Brown University, URI are not too far away. Then there is Columbia, NYU, Princeton etc in the NYC area.

Athletics are very popular in the Northeast. Lacrosse, baseball, football, basketball, hockey you will find many fans of each.

Food well that is easy. Pizza, chicken wings, clam chowder, lobster, bagels all Northeastern specialties.

Overall I am going to miss living in the Northeast. The traffic is mainly why I am leaving the NYC area. Oh that reminds me, if you move to Boston get used to getting cut off, getting tailgated badly, and all of that. Boston drivers are notorious for their insane driving. You will see that the minute you get on the road there. They are 10 times worse than NY and CA drivers.
thanks so much for that. Makes sense with respect to snow vs no snow when its cold. On my current PRO vs CON list the only thing i am coming up with as a CON (vs Maryland or other states just below MD) is that Boston has "longer" winters.

As for driving? Well, if I were a betting man I would definitely NOT say that Southern California drivers are the best in the world themselves On that note...lame question coming, but should I obsess about not brining the wife's car and getting her a 4WD in it's place? See, I told you a lame question but figured I would ask since you all are so helpful

Last edited by nesluopge; 02-06-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
You could probably get by with a 2WD. I think the only places that really need 4WD would be further inland MA and up in NH's hills. Boston does not get slammed too much. 2 feet snowfalls are very rare. Most of it comes in about 2-5 inches. Also Boston is definitely not the snowiest or coldest city in the Northeast, if you consider Buffalo with 95 inches of snow p/yr and Syracuse with 115 inches of snow p/yr Boston winters are cake. The plow crews take good care of the roads and have it all salted (or sanded I think they use sand because salt can damage paint) before the commuters start.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
You could probably get by with a 2WD. I think the only places that really need 4WD would be further inland MA and up in NH's hills. Boston does not get slammed too much. 2 feet snowfalls are very rare. Most of it comes in about 2-5 inches. Also Boston is definitely not the snowiest or coldest city in the Northeast, if you consider Buffalo with 95 inches of snow p/yr and Syracuse with 115 inches of snow p/yr Boston winters are cake. The plow crews take good care of the roads and have it all salted (or sanded I think they use sand because salt can damage paint) before the commuters start.
thanks so much! However, I will tell her that I was provided strong recommendations that "my" car will simply be horrible for Boston. Therefore, I have no choice but to buy that killer 4WD i have always wanted After all, if she loves me, she should want me to be safe, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.