Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:00 AM

123 posts, read 299,449 times

Advertisements

Ok so I thought about relocating to San Diego or L.A. but have recently decided that the cons outweigh the pros. I do not want to live somewhere where making $70K a year would confine me to a cramped apartment. NO THANKS. I think that I will just vacation in CA and leave it at that. I am from NJ but have lived in Atlanta,Houston,San Antonio,and Dallas. Out of all those cities I love Atlanta the best. However I want to try a different city. LOL my sister told me that the city I am looking for does not exist. Maybe someone can help. Here goes..... I DO NOT want a city that has a harsh winter. I do not want to live in Tx,Ca,Fl,NJ,DC,MA,CT,NY,PA,MD,VA,AZ,NM and DE.(still with me?) The city must have a low to moderate cost of living...meaning I don't want to have to spend more than $900 on a studio apartment. I like warm weather. I also like big cities.....that are full of culture and diversity. I like pet friendly cities with nice biking trails. A city where I won't become bored after the first week of being there. Bustling downtown district. An overall great place to call home. Does this city exist? If so .....where ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,844,521 times
Maybe Portland, Oregon? Not exactly warm weather, but it never really gets that cold. I know you said not NM or AZ, but what about in NV somewhere? Reno or Las Vegas maybe.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
By ruling out TX, FL and CA, you effectively ruled out the only states in the continental US with consistently warm weather in very large cities.

Are Mobile, AL or New Orleans big enough for you? Those are about all that you have left.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 AM

^^If they used to live in LA, I don't know if they would consider Mobile or New Orleans a big city.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times
I could say it is here in Portland, Oregon, but I honestly feel you would become bored here after a short time. Thats just my instincts, I could be wrong.

Your sister may actually be right. You may not find a city/region that is going to remain appealing to you, it may not exist at least in the USA.

There are cities that meet your criteria at least to a point but there will always be some unattractive trait to it.

I could also say Denver meets your needs but it may be colder than what you want and not as cultural as you like. Though I think for many it has enough and meets there needs. Its alot more affordable than many cities but definitely not the cheapest place. Many originally from the Northeast live in the Denver area and seem content with it. It does have activity in its downtown. Restaurants, stores, Hotels, Sport Stadiums. Rail transit. and there are many trails in and around the city. Parks everywhere and a very physcially active population. Alot of sunshine and it never really seems to stay super cold with all that sunshine. Snow melts fast and doesn't stay on the ground for long periods of time like NJ.

I think much of what you feel is that as big as the USA is, it is still rather limited for many. The sunbelt is a prime example. Many regions there never developed an infrastructure and it is what it is. For many that move there it just becomes an area with a milder climate than other regions of the country. The vibe just isn't there for them beyond the climate.

You have to consider where you are originally from and what you are use to, and how that plays into how you feel about other cities. The Northeastern USA has many appealing traits but its climate and cost of living is not appealing to all people.

The Southern regions actually the entire sunbelt region, may just have the warmer climate and that is all it really has for you. Personally I can't see what your see in the traffic clogged sprawling Atlanta area. Its go out to restaurants and sit in more traffic. I wouldn't say it really has a bustling downtown after 5pm and weekends is really limited. Seems like everything is based on what county you live in there. Seems very transient. Many sunbelt regions are like that. That is why I mentioned Denver, but again the climate though not Northeast cold may be colder than you like. You could certainly visit Calif very easily from Denver, as well as other southwest cities.

I think you really need to take a good look at where you live now and where you have lived. Find what is missing in each and then find a place that provides your main needs. Is it a warmer climate or is it a bustling cultural affordable city. I think in the USA the two don't always coincide as much as we would like. You may find like many you need to just accept a place for what it is or you will drive yourself crazy trying to find a place.

Listen to your sister she knows what she is talking about, and has your best interest in her thoughts.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug76 View Post
Ok so I thought about relocating to San Diego or L.A. but have recently decided that the cons outweigh the pros. I do not want to live somewhere where making $70K a year would confine me to a cramped apartment. NO THANKS. I think that I will just vacation in CA and leave it at that. I am from NJ but have lived in Atlanta,Houston,San Antonio,and Dallas. Out of all those cities I love Atlanta the best. However I want to try a different city. LOL my sister told me that the city I am looking for does not exist. Maybe someone can help. Here goes..... I DO NOT want a city that has a harsh winter. I do not want to live in Tx,Ca,Fl,NJ,DC,MA,CT,NY,PA,MD,VA,AZ,NM and DE.(still with me?) The city must have a low to moderate cost of living...meaning I don't want to have to spend more than $900 on a studio apartment. I like warm weather. I also like big cities.....that are full of culture and diversity. I like pet friendly cities with nice biking trails. A city where I won't become bored after the first week of being there. Bustling downtown district. An overall great place to call home. Does this city exist? If so .....where ?????
Maybe Charlotte NC......

Old 02-07-2010, 12:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,293,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^If they used to live in LA, I don't know if they would consider Mobile or New Orleans a big city.
The OP never said anything about living in L.A.

He said he considered it, but dropped it due to the high cost of living.

Re-read his post. He said he's lived in Atlanta, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas, with Atlanta being his favorite so far.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Oh, my mistake. Well, I'll still stick with my suggestions.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,293,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Personally I can't see what your see in the traffic clogged sprawling Atlanta area. Its go out to restaurants and sit in more traffic. I wouldn't say it really has a bustling downtown after 5pm and weekends is really limited.
You have just described most larger metros in the U.S. None of this is unique to Atlanta.

I guess you must have missed the part of his post where he stated that this was his favorite city that he's lived in to date? I think the word "love" was actually used.

Last edited by Bo; 02-07-2010 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Removed rolling eyes smilie, per my comment in #10 below.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
Keep it helpful, folks. This isn't a city smackdown and it isn't your job to publicly chide other members whose posts you think are not helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.