Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
11. Feigned liberalism

Midwestern cities that vote democrat (which is the majority) typically exaggerate how liberal they actually are (because they want to appear bigger and move away from their stereotypes), and the locals can be quite fanatical about this.
The majority of the populace in these places usually end up leaning more fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
The only city in the midwest I would consider to be liberal in the "progressive" sense is Minneapolis. Some college towns as well, but they are usually small.

The other big midwestern cities, regardless of how they vote, still feel very conservative. You look around, and everyone even looks conservative. A woman who is dressed too provocatively is still judged, lol.

Too many midwestern cities think because their city voted blue, all of a sudden they are as liberal as San Francisco or LA now. It just shows the rampant ignorance that part of the country is known for.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
The only city in the midwest I would consider to be liberal in the "progressive" sense is Minneapolis. Some college towns as well, but they are usually small.

The other big midwestern cities, regardless of how they vote, still feel very conservative. You look around, and everyone even looks conservative. A woman who is dressed too provocatively is still judged, lol.

Too many midwestern cities think because their city voted blue, all of a sudden they are as liberal as San Francisco or LA now. It just shows the rampant ignorance that part of the country is known for.
Excuse me, but I believe painting with such a broad brush shows a little ignorance, as well. You can't paint with a broad brush...someday you will mature, and learn that.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
This "broad brush" phrase is another midwestern thing, lol. They'll bring it out when they don't like what you said, but you know you are right.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
This "broad brush" phrase is another midwestern thing, lol. They'll bring it out when they don't like what you said, but you know you are right.
YOU may think you're right, but I know you're not. To insinuate the entire Midwest is the same, borders on the ridiculous.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM

189 posts, read 399,929 times
Define "liberal". Are we talking about social stances like being pro-choice, pro gay marriage, etc? From my experience in Ohio I'd say the vast majority of people in north and central Ohio's urban areas fall into that category, but Cincy and the rural areas are still very conservative.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Strange uncomfortable blend of the worst elements of Midwest and Southern cultures can be found. It's called "Louisville."

I love the South particularly and like aspects of the Midwest. However, Louisville, KY is an unremarkable city with a bazaarly egotistical attitude and very unfriendly people. Not the best representation of either the Midwest or South. It's a bazaar combination of laid back and uptight that is very difficult to describe, but somebody who has lived there (and also didn't like it) understands it.

Quite sad, as a matter of fact, b/c it actually is an aesthetically pleasing city away from the west and south ends.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM

475 posts, read 507,963 times
Midwest Mentality

Redneck. Conservative. Republican. Hicks. White trash. Anti everything that doesnt fit with them. Etc etc etc...

Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Strange uncomfortable blend of the worst elements of Midwest and Southern cultures can be found. It's called "Louisville."

I love the South particularly and like aspects of the Midwest. However, Louisville, KY is an unremarkable city with a bazaarly egotistical attitude and very unfriendly people. Not the best representation of either the Midwest or South. It's a bazaar combination of laid back and uptight that is very difficult to describe, but somebody who has lived there (and also didn't like it) understands it.

Quite sad, as a matter of fact, b/c it actually is an aesthetically pleasing city away from the west and south ends.
I disagree, at least about Louisville being a blend of Midwest and south. There really is nothing Midwestern about Louisville. Architecturally, culturally, and demographically it has far more in common with Nashville than Indianapolis.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Here's my two cents worth of Midwest mentality: Moderate to conservative in the rural areas, moderate to liberal in the cities. Farmers and rednecks/hicks. It really varies...the southernmost parts are different from the northernmost parts, as with any region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.