Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the friendliest southern state?
Alabama 3 4.55%
Arkansas 2 3.03%
Georgia 6 9.09%
Florida 3 4.55%
Mississippi 7 10.61%
South Carolina 7 10.61%
North Carolina 5 7.58%
Virginia 1 1.52%
Kentucky 2 3.03%
Louisiana 2 3.03%
Tennessee 13 19.70%
Oklahoma 4 6.06%
Texas 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I've always found the D.C.-Baltimore area to be have friendly people. It has never seemed to be any different than any other city in that respect.

People on subways aren't usually inclined to talk to strangers.
Maybe in the suburbs and exurbs, but definitely not in the city (from my experience), especially DC. Maryland and DC drivers are also some of the most aggresive in the country. I can attest though that it's much worse in say New York and New Jersey, but it's still a dog-eat-dog world here. If you don't block your shoveled parking spot with something, there's a million and one people who will gladly take it from you.

I'm not saying that there aren't any friendly people here (because there certainly are, especially out-of-towners from the MidWest and South), but places like Charlotte and Winston-Salem seem friendlier. I remember this older lady from Atlanta who I used to work with who hated it here. She was always appalled by the of the "rudeness" (as she called it) of everyone in the city, compared to Atlanta. Nearly every morning she would come in with stories about how rude the bank teller was, or the checkout guy at the Giant etc. If you didn't talk to her in a perfectly upbeat tone, and at a slow pace she would get annoyed. If you did she would be nice. Nobody really liked her and I'm guessing part of it was her age, but mostly it seemed that she was too used to a slower-paced, friendlier environment in Atl.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
In my experience southerners are friendly until the 'yankees' move in. Then it isn't pretty.
In truth, we're pretty 'laizzez-faire' in our attitude towards Northerners. They have been arriving in droves for decades now, so what would be the point of a bad attitude?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Maybe in the suburbs and exurbs, but definitely not in the city (from my experience), especially DC. Maryland and DC drivers are also some of the most aggresive in the country. I can attest though that it's much worse in say New York and New Jersey, but it's still a dog-eat-dog world here. If you don't block your shoveled parking spot with something, there's a million and one people who will gladly take it from you.

I'm not saying that there aren't any friendly people here (because there certainly are, especially out-of-towners from the MidWest and South), but places like Charlotte and Winston-Salem seem friendlier. I remember this older lady from Atlanta who I used to work with who hated it here. She was always appalled by the of the "rudeness" (as she called it) of everyone in the city, compared to Atlanta. Nearly every morning she would come in with stories about how rude the bank teller was, or the checkout guy at the Giant etc. If you didn't talk to her in a perfectly upbeat tone, and at a slow pace she would get annoyed. If you did she would be nice. Nobody really liked her and I'm guessing part of it was her age, but mostly it seemed that she was too used to a slower-paced, friendlier environment in Atl.
I find people to be friendly everywhere I go. Maybe it's because I'm friendly...you get back what you give out, no matter where you are.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I think that people tend to doubt Southern hospitality because they see it as mythical or as if Southerners are superhuman. No one is perfect and no one is making that claim.

Southerners are simply what more Americans should strive to be - courteous, loyal, trustworthy, hospitable, and generous. This is especially shown when contrasted with people's attitudes in the Northeastern region of the country, where people are generally nasty as a rule of thumb and treat human kindness as an alien concept from a far away galaxy.
uh, again, it depends on your demographic. i faced much more hostility or unfriendliness in the south than i did in new york. i faced almost zero prejudice too. it was like night and day. in my experience, i would flip what you just wrote. people were very friendly to me up north. it was a lot easier to get a job there too. in the south, i had a harder time and they were very cliquey and snobby but of course, southerners "think" they are so nice and humble. my butt.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
uh, again, it depends on your demographic. i faced much more hostility or unfriendliness in the south than i did in new york. i faced almost zero prejudice too. it was like night and day. in my experience, i would flip what you just wrote. people were very friendly to me up north. it was a lot easier to get a job there too. in the south, i had a harder time and they were very cliquey and snobby but of course, southerners "think" they are so nice and humble. my butt.
I see no point in beating around the bush. What are you insinuating?

I'm not sure what you're "demographic" happens to be, but the Deep South has the largest black population in the nation, by far, and black success stories are common in the region, much moreso in, say, Atlanta, than NYC or Boston, where ignorance on both sides of how to live with a race that is not your own (And how would the North know. Northern cities were never integrated to the extent areas like Birmingham, Little Rock, and Jackson were) creates a hostile environment.

A black person would feel much more out of place in Maine or New Hampshire than Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I see no point in beating around the bush. What are you insinuating?

I'm not sure what you're "demographic" happens to be, but the Deep South has the largest black population in the nation, by far, and black success stories are common in the region, much moreso in, say, Atlanta, than NYC or Boston, where ignorance on both sides of how to live with a race that is not your own (And how would the North know. Northern cities were never integrated to the extent areas like Birmingham, Little Rock, and Jackson were) creates a hostile environment.

A black person would feel much more out of place in Maine or New Hampshire than Alabama or Mississippi.
yes, i totally agree. but white and blacks are not the only race and being able to get along with just whites and blacks a nonracist does not make.

too bad the south is notoriously racist, both blacks and whites, to other immigrants not white or black.

i don't mind anymore as i can move around where i want to now, i just resent that i had to endure that crap when i didn't have a choice.

the south or any place can be whatever or however they like. yes, it's like i stepped into another reality up north from the south. nowadays, it's so much migration and moving around that many southern cities are full of northerners though now.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
yes, i totally agree. but white and blacks are not the only race and being able to get along with just whites and blacks a nonracist does not make.

too bad the south is notoriously racist, both blacks and whites, to other immigrants not white or black.

i don't mind anymore as i can move around where i want to now, i just resent that i had to endure that crap when i didn't have a choice.

the south or any place can be whatever or however they like. yes, it's like i stepped into another reality up north from the south. nowadays, it's so much migration and moving around that many southern cities are full of northerners though now.
Obviously whites and blacks are not the only racial groups represented in the U.S.

However, you were specifically vague about your own race/ethnicity and then claim you suffered discrimination. Well, why the mystery if it is such a problem that needs bringing attention to?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Obviously whites and blacks are not the only racial groups represented in the U.S.

However, you were specifically vague about your own race/ethnicity and then claim you suffered discrimination. Well, why the mystery if it is such a problem that needs bringing attention to?
i don't need to bring my race into it because i think every place has a right to be however they want or comfortable being.

i just like to find places i want to be as i have choice now.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:02 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:

The South is notoriously adept at dealing with racists and race issues...we've been doing it for a long time - much longer than any other region, so we're much more experienced.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The South is notoriously adept at dealing with racists and race issues...we've been doing it for a long time - much longer than any other region, so we're much more experienced.
It makes me laugh when people use, say, New England as an example of positive race relations. The largest city in New England, Boston, which actually has some diversity, historically has had poor race relations. Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are the three whitest states in the U.S. and have virtually no experience in dealing with white-black relations.

Compare this to Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, or Alabama. Yes, there's probably more (open) racism. There's also more racial diversity and an actual history of desegregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.