Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM

205 posts, read 479,378 times

Advertisements

I love how everyone thinks winters in Buffalo is like living in the Arctic Tundra. So overblown.

I would rather deal with snow than freezing wind and rain. That is the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
It's mostly the wind that gets ya here in Boston, and snow is only fun for about a day. DIG ME OUT!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:35 AM

353 posts, read 816,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It also put New York too high up on the list and included annual precipitation as if it all came down during the winter.
exactly! no way does New York City receive Average Precipitation: 49.7 inches of rain in winter, that is distributed throughout the year and a lot of times it comes in spring and summer sometimes the summer thunderstorm can be blame for some of that heavy rain.

but winter in New York really isnt as bad as other cities in the northeast, just as someone said the wind blows stronger since it races through the buildings in manhattan and in the statue of liberty where to me it was some of the most uncomforable weather have experienced. It was bright and sunny but the temp was around 39 with a wind blowing of around 40 mph it was just misreable lol

Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
The list is kind of strange -- how can NYC be higher than Minneapolis?

If we're talking about larger cities, what about my city, Denver? Most Denverites will tell you that our winters are a lot less severe than the numbers indicate, but we do get over 60" of snow a year -- more than most any of the cities on this list (and in fact more than any other large city other than SLC and Great Lakes cities), and we live in a region that is world famous for snow, and we can sure get a lot of snow at times. Subjectively, I think that Denver's winters are far milder than any of these 10 cities due our dry climate and plentiful winter sunshine, but I don't think that's something that would show up in temperature and snowfall statistics.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
This list is quite a bit off the mark, to put it mildly. NYC has relatively easy winters, and should have never made a Top 10 list.

Last edited by MassVt; 02-09-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,749 times
"Worst" weather does not necessarily equate to higher amounts of precip, snowfall, etc.
This list fails to mention the Big City ClusterF*ck Factor. A city with normally low commute times isn't nearly as much of a nightmare as a places like New York or Chicago. I remember it taking nearly 3 hours to get home in a blizzard in Chicago. Then there is waiting for the L train in the freezing temps. Don't get me started.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
I love how everyone thinks winters in Buffalo is like living in the Arctic Tundra. So overblown.

I would rather deal with snow than freezing wind and rain. That is the worst.
Ahh, I totally agree. Include ice to that list..I'd take driving in a foot of snow over driving on ice ANY day!!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
It's just another crappy ranking by Forbes.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
I would rather have 2 feet of snow than 2 inches of ICE. Ice storms are worse. How do you shovel ice from your driveway? How do you brush ice from your car or shovel it out when it looks like an igloo where it is stuck in 3 inches of solid ice in your driveway?

There are worse things than SNOW.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
Cleveland's the worst? I understand on paper it's supposed to get a lot of snow but if this is the worst in the country than it's not that bad. We got a a foot or so around Christmas and only an inch here,3 inches there since than,except for the 6 inches were supposed to get tonight my family in D.C. said they'd much rather be here haha. And the snow here is kinda weak,the flakes don't get that big and its wetter than the snow out west so it almost always melts within a day or so. Also EVERY TIME we were supposed to get a lot of snow it passed us right by and went 1 county up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.