Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times

Advertisements

Good Lord, none of the ones they picked get a hard winter. Must be the top 50 largest metro areas they are looking at. I think Forbes forgets that there are cities that don't have 2 or 3 million people in them. Bah, yet another worthless list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
The only reason the OP posted this was because NYC was listed as one of the worst on the list. But, we all know it's not nearly as bad here compared to all the midwest cities.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM

205 posts, read 479,378 times
Are you sure Rachael? I find it odd that your status is "no work Wednesday bc of snow!! woohooo." Maybe you should double check that.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM

150 posts, read 560,809 times
Having lived all over the USA…I have to strongly agree with the consensus that NYC doesn’t come close to belong on that list (no city from the Tri-State area south should be on that list). Winters in the Midwest, Intermountain West, Great Lakes, and New England are far worse. Big snowstorms are so hyped in NYC.

The list is like saying Los Angeles is as warm as Miami or Havana lol.

Another misfire by the uniformed at Forbes...

Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 47,514 times
Glad I live in Socal

Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
Are you sure Rachael? I find it odd that your status is "no work Wednesday bc of snow!! woohooo." Maybe you should double check that.

lol yeah, this is THIRD time in like 7 years that NYC has gotten a snow day. This is a rare occasion.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
The list is kind of strange -- how can NYC be higher than Minneapolis?

If we're talking about larger cities, what about my city, Denver? Most Denverites will tell you that our winters are a lot less severe than the numbers indicate, but we do get over 60" of snow a year -- more than most any of the cities on this list (and in fact more than any other large city other than SLC and Great Lakes cities), and we live in a region that is world famous for snow, and we can sure get a lot of snow at times. Subjectively, I think that Denver's winters are far milder than any of these 10 cities due our dry climate and plentiful winter sunshine, but I don't think that's something that would show up in temperature and snowfall statistics.
Good points. What's remarkable about Denver's snowfall to me is how quickly it melts. Not so here in the Twin Cities where we still have a layer of Christmas ice/snow under several subsequent layers of snow, the most recent of which fell over the last 2 days. Chances are, it'll still be here a month from now.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
This list is quite a bit off the mark, to put it mildly. NYC has relatively easy winters, and should have never made a Top 10 list.
But then the OP would never had bothered posting the list in the first place.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
I love how everyone thinks winters in Buffalo is like living in the Arctic Tundra. So overblown.

I would rather deal with snow than freezing wind and rain. That is the worst.
If it comes down to it, I would rather have snow at 30 degrees than pouring rain at say 34 degrees. I find cold rain worse than snow.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I agree. No Buffalo and no Syracuse means the list has no credibility with me.

Maybe Forbes artificially limited its choices to the 25 largest cities in the US?
They said the top 50. I have no idea where Buffalo and Syracuse are on the spectrum. I'd vote Minneapolis myself. It all depends on what stats you use. If you look at # of below freezing days, I'd bet Mpls would be much higher. Columbus and Indianapolis do not have as many cold days as most of the other cities on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.