Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times

Advertisements

You guys are so funny...this battle between Houston and Dallas...lol
I would choose Houston given the choice and I probably would even choose Houston over Austin but that would be a tougher choice given Austin's reputation for being a beautiful city, abundant natural settings and having access to everything you may need. Unfortunately Austin's also sprawled out and lacks transit.

For Texas charm and humor... I give you guys an A+. Now you need to get your politicians to fill up the land and get a rail/bus system like New York.
Having a car should be an option. Actually, a move towards solar power/natural energy would be good for the state and its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 11:22 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Houston has alot of things going for it.But an attractive city it is not,never has been.Hills in Conroe??? Curbs maybe
Attractive is in the eye of the beholder. I find the city very beautiful, thank you very much.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Hills on the golf course dont count (used to live on a golf course there)
There are some. Especially in Willis on into Huntsville.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:58 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Really? Where are you finding this? Because I couldn't find anything about rank of concentrated skylines. Do you have a link?
Yep. I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Downtown Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2007, 03:42 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post

Statistics are a funny thing. B/c Houston ranks ahead of Miami using the emporis formula, but then again, this statistic recently stated is talking a/b the downtown only.

But skyline wise, you throw in Houston's Galleria district with downtown Houston and the Med center, you got the 3rd largest skyline in the country.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post

That's just downtown, though.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post

But skyline wise, you throw in Houston's Galleria district with downtown Houston and the Med center, you got the 3rd largest skyline in the country.
...and midtown, and the rest of midrises all over the city. So great. I can still see the look on peoples' faces when they discover that all of those buildings uptown are not downtown.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:37 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
...and midtown, and the rest of midrises all over the city. So great. I can still see the look on peoples' faces when they discover that all of those buildings uptown are not downtown.
There are cities in America with multiple skylines...Phoenix, Dallas, St. Louis (Clayton), etc. But Houston has the tallest building outside of a downtown area in the uptown galleria district.

Dallas has impressive multiple skylines...Las Colinas, which has just as much office space as downtown Dallas, the Tollway district, which is similar to Phoenix's 2nd skyline, the RIchardson Telecom cooridor (aka Texas Silicon valley), and also downtown Ft. Worth has some impressive buildings.

Downtown/Uptown dallas is adding 26 high rises that are confirmed over the next 5 years...one which will be the tallest residential tower in Texas, and will house one of only 3 Mandarin Oriental Hotels in the country.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
one which will be the tallest residential tower in Texas, and will house one of only 3 Mandarin Oriental Hotels in the country.
There's actually 4 in the country now (DC, NYC, Miami, San Francisco) and by the time the hotel opens, it will probably be number 7. Boston gets there's next year and Chicago and Las Vegas opens one the same year as Dallas.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
There is one in Atlanta (site work) and one proposed for Houston (Houston City Centre Downtown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.