Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating: real estate, market, diversity, university, affordable, cost of living.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,222,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Ask not what your city can do for you ..but what can you do for your city.
If you do find Shangra-La please post it's location.
Not sure what you mean...

Are you talking about helping its economy by working jobs or volunteering, or...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:20 AM

8,977 posts, read 21,055,209 times
Having only read the first two of six pages so far, here are my ideas FWIW.

Columbus. I think this fits most of your criteria. If you don't mind your beachfront being along the Great Lakes (Erie or Michigan) then that might serve you well. I'd also check in with the locals about the K-12. My only personal bias is that, having moved from Philly to the DC metro a couple years ago (hey neighbor! ) I've grown accustomed to my winters being a week shorter. I imagine in CMH they would be at least a week longer.

Philadelphia. OK, I might be just a tad of hometown bias. But really, as a young professional, you'll get more bang for your buck here than any other city in the Northeast. There are a few caveats. Once you decide to start a family, you will have to be very proactive to get your kids into the relatively few public schools in the city with positive reputations. As a DC native, I'm sure you can sympathize with the news about crime in the city... as well as realize that it is primarily occuring in poorer areas between people who know each other. You are probably also familiar with the reverse commuting trend which you may need to employ to combine hip urban living with the means to pay for it.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:55 AM

694 posts, read 2,644,109 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal
Ask not what your city can do for you ..but what can you do for your city.

Not sure what you mean...

Are you talking about helping its economy by working jobs or volunteering, or...?
Actually that sounds better than what I was thinking.. so yeah that's what
I'm talking about.

What I was thinking was ... there no such thing as a perfect city.. or perfect
job... but if someone finds it pleeeese let me know.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:23 AM

793 posts, read 3,115,167 times
1. Low taxes
2. Minimal government regulation
3. Zero-tolerance for illegal aliens

Hence, I no longer do the city life.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,757,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
It's over yonder a piece, then left at the oak tree, take a sharp right at the red barn, then keep winding around up a hill and left at the ridge top.

Once you get there you'll see a sign with directions, it's just another 1743 miles. But you can't get there from here.

Have fun, and tell 'em Harv sent you!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:51 PM
ARJ

16 posts, read 58,706 times
Ok I have read all six pages of entries (and added some cities to my search list based upon those contributing to this page have mentioned) but was hoping to find out which city DC finally ended up choosing?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
My area sounded SPOT ON for him until I read this part

Financial environment:
- Affordable cost of living for the young and single
- Affordable real estate for single income earners
- Growth opportunities for environmentally-conscious businesses
- Employment opportunities containing sufficient upside

Ouch, we fail miserably there. Enough to render it obsolete. Another area that came to mind is Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,904,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
One who attacks people from rural backgrounds who live on farms or who own livestock are themselves arrogant and unsophisticated. Where do you think the food that you can buy at the supermarket comes from? In Laveen, for example, there are dairy and chicken farms that provide important food products like milk and eggs for much of the Phoenix area. Some of the residents of this area own horses, and they can ride their horses in South Mountain Park - the largest municipal park in the USA which is entirely within the Phoenix city limits.
Yeah, really, thank god I am one of those sophisticated people who eats factory farmed chickens, with their greater risk of E. coli and drug residues, and their lower nutritional value than chickens that have been allowed to just peck around and eat what they want to. How awful that anyone would want to get their hands messy raising their own livestock and maybe knowing how to survive to some extent independently. Food should come from concrete boxes out of view, right?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 AM

84 posts, read 85,915 times
Almost all of those items on your list can be found in San Diego. You should look into it. Don't let the cost of living scare you. Look at it as it is expensive, so it must be good. You trully do get what you pay for when you buy into San Deigo. PM if you need any further info.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,748,751 times
How about Philadelphia? A very diverse city with people of all beliefs and backgrounds, and only about an hour's drive to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.