Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 PM

219 posts, read 811,301 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I am looking to make a move very soon out of Texas. I have two children ages 13 and 18 and a Hispanic wife (I am white). We don't care about the job market. She works in the medical field which is not hard to get hired and I run an online business. Here is what I am looking for in an area.

Low crime, good schools (don't have to be great...just safe), a decent amount of fun activities for the family, pretty scenery (we enjoy rolling hills and/or mountains with lots of green), clean air, water and soil as I like to have a large garden (I have checked out certain areas that met my criteria but found out they dumped chemicals and/or raw sewage in their lakes and ponds!), decent housing rentals/costs (we will rent for the first year to make sure we like the area), cold is ok but no to cold (don't like anything really below 10 degrees...snow is ok as long as it does not stay for to long), I would like a place that is mostly sunny and warm during spring summer and fall (I understand I can't really ask for that during the winter) and last but not least friendly people...mmm....
I guess that is all for now.

Any help would be appreciated. Please feel free to respond bluntly and with any pics you might have and cities that you might recommend. OH. I almost forgot. Don't really want to live in any city above 50,000 and would prefer a town between the populations of 10,000 - 30,000.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
When you say you're looking for a tow of 10,000 to 30,000, you mean for the whole area? Or is a suburb of that size adequate as long as it has its own downtown shopping district and all that? Because if it's the latter, I'd be inclined to steer you toward the Pittsburgh area. It's economy is practically based on health care so your wife should be able to find a job pretty easily. It's set among the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains so it has the scenery you're looking for. Many of its suburbs have very good schools. Climate is mild by northern standards -- you'll get some snow but it doesn't stay around forever. And most of all, housing is dirt-cheap.

If you're looking for some place where the entire metro area is no more than 50K or so, I'd look into either Carbondale IL or Paducah KY. If you're willing to go a little higher population-wise, I'd also put Bloomington IN on that list.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,822 times
TRY THESE TOWNS:

Galena, Illinois
Hilly Part of Illinois, and the people have many great small town values, however gets busy with tourists in Summer.

Kewaunee, Wisconsin
Mid-size town in Wisconsin Dairy Country.

Tillamook, Oregon
Located right by the pacific, and has small town charm, along with the nearby Coastal Range Mountains.

Ottawa, Illinois
Bigger Town with family values right near Starved Rock and the Illinois River.

Anamosa, Iowa
River Valley Town, Open to Outsiders, Cold Winters

West Frankfort, Illinois
Real Southern Charm but in Illinois!!

Sanford, Maine
Lakes, Forest, Mountains and clean air, but Expect some harsh winters.

Cambridge, Wisconsin
Everything you could want, small town, friendly people, safe community, 4 Metro Areas within only an hour. Yet still a nice rural stting with lakes and forest.

I hope these helped If your curious about any of these places I could tell you more, as I've been to them all.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,836,883 times
You could try somewhere in the midwest, usually low cost of living and not below 10 degrees. And some nice rolling hills in some parts of it.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Sounds like Oldham County, Kentucky
- best school system in Kentucky
- wealthiest KY county (ave household income $70,000)
- just northeast of Louisville (pop. 556,000)
- only 10-15 minutes from large shopping areas in Northeast Louisville

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)

Last edited by censusdata; 05-04-2008 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,793 times
I'm sure any communities around Asheville, NC would be suitable.

There are rolling hills/mountains filled with greenery; temperatures get cold, but usually stay above 20 degrees; it's a growing area, so I am sure there are an abundance of jobs for your wife. I can imagine that there are quite a few clean, fresh lakes around the area because of the area's mountain location.

Asheville has a highly educated population compared to a lot of other Central and Southern Appalachian communities, so schools are likely good. The area is also home to several universities as well, so I am sure that helps the education situation.

The surrounding communities of Asheville likely have comparatively low housing prices compared to many other areas of the country, so housing would likely be affordable too.

Spring comes early and fall stays late, and summers are much cooler than in other areas of the South.

Reading your specifications, it really does sound like Western North Carolina would be perfect.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM

219 posts, read 811,301 times
Anyone have any specific town they would recommend? Remember...clean air, water and soil is a MUST. Oh. I forgot again. No alligators AT ALL. Where I live now we can't do any of the water sports we love due to the alligators.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 PM

108 posts, read 452,499 times
Try Blacksburg, VA...especially if you like outdoor activities. Definitely no alligators there!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:03 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,890 times
In Iowa, may I suggest Pella?

It's a small town of just over 10k people, about an hour S/SE of Des Moines. Very unique town with a lot of history. Very clean and neat downtown (with windmills and canals), absolutely excellent schools, great private college in town. Close to beautiful Lake Red Rock for boating and beaches. It's in Iowa so it's got very clean air, soil and water.

Some links to consider:

Pella Chamber of Commerce
Pella City Website

If you were willing to look at a slightly bigger city, Ames,IA is also nice. Nice college town, good schools, 40 minutes N of Des Moines, fun--but not too crazy. 60k city/80k metro, so might be just a bit too big for what you're looking for.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,692,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
In Iowa, may I suggest Pella?

It's a small town of just over 10k people, about an hour S/SE of Des Moines. Very unique town with a lot of history. Very clean and neat downtown (with windmills and canals), absolutely excellent schools, great private college in town. Close to beautiful Lake Red Rock for boating and beaches. It's in Iowa so it's got very clean air, soil and water.

Some links to consider:

Pella Chamber of Commerce
Pella City Website

If you were willing to look at a slightly bigger city, Ames,IA is also nice. Nice college town, good schools, 40 minutes N of Des Moines, fun--but not too crazy. 60k city/80k metro, so might be just a bit too big for what you're looking for.
I agree that sounds very nice. I second this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.