Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 PM

68 posts, read 308,784 times

Advertisements

The Appalachians used to be taller than the Himalayas at one time, but have since been eroded down. Those must have been the coolest mountains to have ever existed! Too bad all it is now is rounded off foothills mostly covered in deciduous trees. Although I love the fall colors they present, probably the best fall show in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
So living in co for 6+years right at the base pf pikes peak, and have lived in wny meany of years with land at the foothills of the appalachians i can easly amswer this.
Yes rockies have the altitude n dry weather, but what ya dont know unless u live here, is we are a HIGH DESERT climate. Meaning we have cacti that grows in evryones yard pine trees and aspen. Yes the rockies have forest but its not like the applichaiins. Not evon close. Also we have the great sand dunes. Summers are dry here and 100+ temp is normal during certain months. Spring we have wicked lightning n hailstorms and yes people we really do get tornados in co and up in the mts. Viedo pics n news has confirmed this something meany of us living here already new. I love how dry it is i do. I love the etream ruggedness and just bam theres the mts because there really isnt foothills.
Now all that being said im moving to tn.
Mainly because i miss green, i miss acutal real forests, i miss seeing leaves change color other than bright green and yellow and gold. I miss the non snobby aditudes of people in general. I miss cost of living acutly being afordable and i miss haveing space around me. Ive always lived in citys but truth be told colorado tho an amazingly pretty states an outdoor paradise sucks!!!!
If u grew up along the applichaiinss or a place that had forests water creeks swimming holes and green nature u will tire of co.
Both moutain ranges are sooo vastly diffrent from each other theres really nothing to compair.
Ive never lived in tn but have viseted meany times and between that and living in wny i so long for those shades of green autim purples reds and orange, and a good old creek to fish and swim in!!!

Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I would choose the Rockies

Old 04-28-2017, 05:23 AM

27,186 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterTrees View Post
Too bad all it is now is rounded off foothills mostly covered in deciduous trees.
Well, bless your heart.

There are hundreds of mountains well over 2000 feet in the Appalachian chain and foothills are regarded as any set of hills leading up to any mountain range.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Lushness over rocks.

Mist and moss over desert and gravel.

Florid hardwoods and pines groves over dessicated firs and spruce.

Honestly I like both, but I'll take the Appalachians over the Rockies any day.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:19 PM

39 posts, read 46,849 times
I vote for the Rockies. Never been but they are similar to Sierra Nevada mountains which I frequent and are near and dear to my heart. Would love to visit both though.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:56 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Quote:
There are hundreds of mountains well over 2000 feet in the Appalachian chain
This must be a typo. There are dozens of peaks above 4000' and hundreds above 3000'.

Or maybe he means prominence above 1000' valleys or piedmont.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:10 PM

707 posts, read 749,471 times
Southern Rockies all the way! The Puebloans had the right idea. North of the Sangre de Cristos it gets too cold.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:03 PM

461 posts, read 545,855 times
I don't care about mountains, but I live in Colorado and I'd take the people from anywhere in the South over the elitists here any day. We spent Spring Break in NC/TN/GA/SC and there's no comparison.

Old 08-13-2022, 06:44 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I don't care about mountains, but I live in Colorado and I'd take the people from anywhere in the South over the elitists here any day. We spent Spring Break in NC/TN/GA/SC and there's no comparison.
This is what I’ve heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.