Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times

Advertisements

My Dutch cousins make fun of my accent, but thats OK because I goof on theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,498,132 times
This is my American accent:

YouTube - Vito From Jersey -- Americans traveling in Italy

Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM

843 posts, read 1,423,141 times
Yeah Lucas Black does have a north alabama accent but once again it isn't a good generalization of southern speech. Ah so can we tell the Aussie that there really isn't a general american english.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,380,900 times
I grew up in So Cal (OC). My and my So Cal buddies will get together and it is just a flurry of "like", "you know" and "dude." I'm 35 now and still haven't gotten past it.

I lived in No Cal for several years and to me they had a very different accent. Almost country. I asked my old supervisor if she was from Oklahoma and she said she was born and bred in No Cal. In many of the farming communities in No Cal, almond is pronouned aamond.

Then I moved to Phoenix, AZ. I don't see any discernable difference between Phoenix and So Cal except the surfer talk is less. I work for a large company and my best friend from So Cal works here with me and we can spot a So Cal transplant from a mile away. Their dress, their talk, their demeanor, it is all very noticeable to us.

But Phoenix is a city of transplants. You will hear Hispanic accents and those from all over the country. We have a lot of people from the Mid West here who moved to escape the cold winters.

I'm sorry but I find an Australian accent annoying, especially when it seems like it is being exaggerated to make some guy look hot. Now Russell Crowe, with his deep voice and understated Aussie(NZ) accent, is super sexy.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:07 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
I find NZ accent to be way more 'annoying' (exaggerated) than the Australian accent. I really don't understand Americans who can't tell the difference between British accents and Aussie/NZ accents. It's night and day.

ABQConvict

Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,973,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Definitely, the other day I heard a group of Americans talking and I knew after two words they were American (they could've been Canadian I guess). Just the way they said 'yeah' stuck out a lot.

I suppose just like the way we can't tell apart French dialects.
American and Canadian are noticibly different. At least to me as I live in Michigan and have plenty of exposure to Canadians in person as well as tv and radio stations that we pick up. But I can see how they would sound the same to people outside of North America.

Actually I can generally understand the Canadians (even those with a French-Canadian accent) better than my fellow Americans from the south. Whenever I am down there I am constantly asking people to repeat themselves or just nodding my head and pretending I know what they are saying.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,292,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I lived in No Cal for several years and to me they had a very different accent. Almost country. I asked my old supervisor if she was from Oklahoma and she said she was born and bred in No Cal. In many of the farming communities in No Cal, almond is pronouned aamond.
We sound the same as you. Also, "NorCal."

Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,202,157 times
^depends on where in NorCal you go, and who you're talking too...but in general i agree that most people's accents up here aren't much different at all compared to SoCal.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:03 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,229,717 times
Quote:
Andy Griffith himself had a good southern accent, but the others didn't IMO (Aunt Bea was a NYer).
Don Knotts early in his career decided he had to get rid of his accent because when he performed a lot of his audience couldn't understand him. A lot of actors do this, Dana Andrews was from Mississippi, and John Hillerman sounds like no Texan you have ever met.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,643,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
American and Canadian are noticibly different. At least to me as I live in Michigan and have plenty of exposure to Canadians in person as well as tv and radio stations that we pick up. But I can see how they would sound the same to people outside of North America.

Actually I can generally understand the Canadians (even those with a French-Canadian accent) better than my fellow Americans from the south. Whenever I am down there I am constantly asking people to repeat themselves or just nodding my head and pretending I know what they are saying.
Yes but generally Canadian and american accents sound the same compared to British and Australian accents. and all the different variations of the american accent are much more similar to each other than accents outside of North America. There is a North American accent. The one you hear on TV and movies is the most common, but like I said their are regional variations of it, but over all they're all very similar and different from accents outside of North America.

No matter what variation of the american accent you have, the chances are if you leave the country people will recognize your accent as an american accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.