Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:24 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is not uniformly true throughout the South. I mean you used the deepest Southern state that lacks a major metro area as an example for goodness sake. Don't get me wrong, you'll find much of this to be true in the rural South in particular, but in most of the urban South? Not so much. Typically you'll only get asked about church if it's already part of the conversation, not out of the blue like that.

As far as why are we all in the same country, I'm guessing you missed that little event that occurred in the middle of the 19th century.
I've since come to the conclusion it was a mistake not letting you go your own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've since come to the conclusion it was a mistake not letting you go your own way.
I'm sure you do. I'm also sure that you're unaware of the huge implications that would have for the Union at large, which in all likelihood would not exist in its present form sans the South.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
The church thing is just one more overblown stereotype. I get a few comments and invitations whenever I move somewhere new, a few flyers in my mailbox or on my door. I also get solicitations from local lawyers, doctors, dentist, etc. I really don't see it as people trying to conform me as much as it is a question of 'do you need a recommendation' newbie type of thing. Once established in a new area it does NOT usually come up in random conversations.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
I never ever get asked about what church I attend. Or invites to other churches. We just don't do that around here anymore. About the only people likely to show up with literature at the front door of my house are Jehovah Witnesses. And I couldn't tell you the last time I saw any of those people.

If a southerner lives in a larger city, he or she is not likely to be asked such personal questions. In smaller towns it may be possible but not likely.

Those stories about conformity are likely to be holdovers from the last few decades but not today.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 AM

71 posts, read 114,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Thank you for pointing out the truth. I've visited Mississippi many times for work. Even in offices there you see religious crap and bible quotes all over the place. People most certainly do out of the blue ask what church you go to. Religion is a huge part of their life and they want everyone around them to feel the same way about it.

No one, and I mean no one has ever asked me what church I go to in any part of this city in the Mid-Atlantic. I have never been asked it. We just don't feel it is the business of anyone to ask that. If you ask a stranger or work acquaintance what "church family" they belong to, you will be labeled a weirdo.

What in the world are we all doing in the same country? And all the political talk down South is so one sided it is pathetic. Try being a moderate or liberal politically down there. They whine endlessly about how much they hate the Fed Govt.
I live in Middle Tennessee and definitely agree with you. I moved here from an extremely rural part of the upper midwest and it is not just about rural or urban people. In my experience people in the the upper midwest were ten times friendlier and even more sincere without being so into your business or personal beliefs.

Church along with sports is basically life in the south. Anyone claiming that they have never been asked, probably doesn't get out much. Just going to church is not a problem but it is the extreme beliefs that come from EXTREME CONFORMITY that get so annoying.

I married a girl here and besides the youngest generation of her family, her family- all Baptists of course- literally still believes that the world is 6000 years old!
No evolution of people, animals, or even insects. About two months ago, my two young boys came home telling me about how when they were at grandma's house, they were watching an episode of Dr. Phil about people with mental illnesses.
Well according to the kids, my mother-in-law informed them that anyone who has a mental illness or any kind of special needs is actually really possessed by the Devil! Need I say more. I couldn't make this kind of stuff up if I wanted to.

As far as hating the Fed Govt., it creates yet another southern irony. The majority of the southeastern states are the top states for receiving government assistance- welfare, foodstamps and so on.

I believe Tennessee is currently third.

When I started pointing that out to some locals, most gave yet another predictable answer by blaming it on the city people with all the minorities and recent implants from other parts of the country.

When in fact the highest percentages of people needing assistance are actually mainly in very rural, mostly white counties who have been this way for generations long before anyone moved in.

By the way, don't get them going on what the Civil War was REALLY about.

Or how the KKK actually started as a very respectable group who looked out for the well being of all people.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post

If a southerner lives in a larger city, he or she is not likely to be asked such personal questions. In smaller towns it may be possible but not likely.

Those stories about conformity are likely to be holdovers from the last few decades but not today.
Really true.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:30 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNYOOPER View Post
Church along with sports is basically life in the south. Anyone claiming that they have never been asked, probably doesn't get out much. Just going to church is not a problem but it is the extreme beliefs that come from EXTREME CONFORMITY that get so annoying.
Maybe it's a matter of where you are, or more likely, who you choose to run about with. This is not the experience I have had with living in either east or west TN, or FL, AL, or TX.

Quote:
By the way, don't get them going on what the Civil War was REALLY about.

Or how the KKK actually started as a very respectable group who looked out for the well being of all people.
Have you read in depth about the history of either, or are you just going off commonly accepted beliefs and stereotypes?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
So why then does everyone in the South ask what church you go to?
I've been here 6 years and no one has ever asked me.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxndean View Post
Do you believe that by living in the South people are more likely to conform and be like others rather than being more independent and free willed thinkers?

I ask this question in that our English class was reading a Ralph Waldo Emerson poem (Emerson was known for his individualism) and one of my classmates got from it that he belived that in the South people are more likely to conform to the expectation of others rather than if they lived out West or in the Northeast.

So needless to say do you think that by living in the South people feel more pressured in a sense to join a certain church or network with a group of people to feel fully accepted??

Thanks!
No, the northeast is the most likely to conform.

We have our own whiskey.
We have our own music.
We left the union.
You don't see our mayors/governors telling us what we can eat or drink
We're not overregulated and overtaxed.
The feds are constantly in our states' business and we don't go quietly as seen by how many times we go to the Supreme court.

You are afraid of us or you wouldn't ask such a question

Old 09-15-2013, 02:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Church along with sports is basically life in the south. Anyone claiming that they have never been asked, probably doesn't get out much.
Born and raised in the South, still live here, and I've never been asked clear out of the blue where I go to church. Whenever I have, it was relevant to the conversation that was being had at the time. But then again, I'm Black--which leads me to this: I think it's also worth pointing out here that I think a lot of these stereotypes are mostly confined to White Southerners. Blacks in the South are just as religious, but you won't get asked clear out of the blue about your church. It's also very uncommon for Whites to ask Blacks about that since most churches on the whole are segregated, more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.