Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Having lived in both WI and FL, I call BS!
and there's no way the humidity in WI is nearly "always" 100% - that happens NOWHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
^ well I'm pretty sure that poster was just being sarcastic. Obviously people aren't going to go from Wisconsin to Florida to escape the summer heat and humidity.

That would be like going from Louisville to Milwaukee to escape winter cold.

From looking up average winter/summer stats, at least in northern Illinois, the 24 hour average temp in July is 72 degrees, and the mid-day humidity averages 51%. In Wisconsin the average humidity was a little higher, and the average temp was a little lower.

Down in Florida the 24 hour average temp is 82 degrees with 64% humidity at mid-day.

Nowhere averages anywhere near 100%. Florida and southern Texas/Louisana/Miss/Alabama are the highest temps/humidity outside the southwest (with obviously lower humidity).

Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ well I'm pretty sure that poster was just being sarcastic. Obviously people aren't going to go from Wisconsin to Florida to escape the summer heat and humidity.

That would be like going from Louisville to Milwaukee to escape winter cold.

From looking up average winter/summer stats, at least in northern Illinois, the 24 hour average temp in July is 72 degrees, and the mid-day humidity averages 51%. In Wisconsin the average humidity was a little higher, and the average temp was a little lower.

Down in Florida the 24 hour average temp is 82 degrees with 64% humidity at mid-day.

Nowhere averages anywhere near 100%. Florida and southern Texas/Louisana/Miss/Alabama are the highest temps/humidity outside the southwest (with obviously lower humidity).
That's incorrect; you mean those areas have high humidity, but they don't have the highest temps. These areas rarely reach up to 100 degrees.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
^^This is one reason why Southerners are considered "slow paced". The heat and humidity will suck the energy right out of you. I've lived here my entire life and it still gets to me at times.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:27 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

BIG difference. Last year I believe we only had 7 days over 90 degrees. I turned the A/C on for 14 days all summer I believe. Cant do that in Charlotte! We're situated nicely within the country to get nice, cool Canadian cold fronts in the middle of summer, dropping temps into the 70s for several weeks throughout the summer.
To those accustomed to dry heat, anything over 80 with humidity is very, very uncomfortable.

Much of the Midwest had an unusually cool summer last year. I've lived there, I know.
Always unpredictable. Next summer you could have an unbearable summer, the next summer, bearable. Same with any time of the year.

I've grown accustomed to predictability, with gradual rises and falls in temp's throughout the year. Here, I know exactly what this summer will bring: no surprises. Same with winter. No surprises.

This whole Great Plains phenomena of sharply dropping or rising temp's would be too hard to take, with what I've become accustomed to.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's incorrect; you mean those areas have high humidity, but they don't have the highest temps. These areas rarely reach up to 100 degrees.
You are right. During my several years living in So. FL, I never saw 100 degrees, but I've seen it several times here in the Twin Cities.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
There's actually two factors going on here: humidity, and heat. Everywhere east of the 100th Meridian is humid much of the time. But most people don't care if it's humid as long as it's not also hot. That's why people say places like Houston are "humid" because it combines heat with humidity. Chicago is also humid much of the year, but its period of summer heat is relatively short, so it's not all that noticeable.

West of the 100th meridian, it's mostly not humid year round until you get to the west coast. In fact, it's surprisingly how quickly the humidity dissipates just 20-30 miles inland on the west coast. Once you're on the coast, it's humid year-round but rarely (if ever) hot. When it is hot, it's usually because of a weather pattern pushing in drier air from the inland deserts. So, people generally consider the west coast "not humid" when in fact it's simply rarely both hot and humid at the same time.

I also find it amusing when people say places like Atlanta are "not humid" -- perhaps relative to other parts of the southeast. But compared to anywhere west of the 100th meridian, it's humid.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
^ well the big thing for Chicago as well is that the temps that summer stabilizes at are also much more comfortable than Houston.

Chicago is actually in the 70's and 80's from May 15th on average until October 1st. The warmest average highs though are pretty flat at between 83 and 85 degrees from around June 20th to August 20th.

The winters here are a roller coaster, and the spring and fall are always racing in one direction or another, but by far the most stable time of year is the summer. The average highs don't vary by more than 2 degrees for a full 2 months. For Chicago getting up into the 90's is normally something that would make the news. It happens in the summer, but it's usually pretty rare. Only about 10% of the days from June through September.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I visited Chicago a couple years ago and now that I think about it, the summer weather was quite nice. Only a few days were very hot, and even then they weren't as oppressive as DC's summer weather.

Too bad you guys turn into Siberia Jr. in the winter.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
Which state has the most brutal summers, as far as humidity?

Well, I live in Houston and let me tell you the humidity here has got to be one of the worse!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.