Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:59 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times

Advertisements

I'm confused . You say you want a liberal place because you want open minded. We suggest places and you say no because they don't follow your views. Aren't liberals suppose to accept ALL views??? That is a true liberal. Or do you want a place that just excepts YOUR views??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 03:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times
Personally I don't consider a "town" to be liberal if you are living in a "conservative/republican" state. The reason being is that the "community doesn't dictate "state law" which is essential to the environment of the community you live in. In other words, state and local laws trump all. It would be very difficult to live in a city with liberal ideals and at the same time feeling the weight of opposition coming from local and state government. Now if the state doesn't care then that's fine but in my experience those situations are very rare.

You're right many liberal communities are very expensive to live in. This leads me to conclude that that liberal artists, hippies and leftist have blended in with mainstream culture and have sold their value system to the American dollar. I don't have a problem with that as everyone's got a choice to live their live how they choose but it would help if values/political titles were more clearly visible.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:13 PM

Liberals do accept all views. They just don't have to agree with them. True liberals as well as republicans have their own value system, ideals, beliefs and live by that. When we look at "liberal states/communities" we're looking at a "value system and lifestyle." If you visit select states/communities you'll see the vast difference in the laws and degrees of tolerance. That's what separates communities based on inherent values. Most liberals share an ideology/way of life just like those that are conservative. I respect all views but there's only select communities I would feel comfortable in and the same would apply to anyone. We go to where we feel most at home. It makes sense.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Well scratch out what you wrote, quote "A city where you can be yourself, thrives on cultural diversity" end of quote.
Because you are looking for a place for YOU to be yourself but NOT others to be themselves. You really don't want "cultural diversity" either. Because "diversity" means many views and you want only your views.

So go into detail what YOU really want in a place. But "diversity" isn't one of them.

Oh, and forget about Austin. NO, no, no. Go to their thread and check it out. If you say "the" in front of a word for a freeway, forget it. You are weird and talked about on the board. Is that liberal to you?

Old 05-31-2007, 03:40 PM

I don't know where you got that impression as I never said that. You keep using the term "YOU" in capital letters and it doesn't apply to anything I've said. This isn't about me it's about people in general and what they're seeking. You seem to be confusing cultural diversity and being yourself with "political stances" and ideologies. Do you understand the difference? People value different cultures and have a degree of tolerance towards others. That's diversity within a city. People with opposing values and political beliefs are not going to live comfortably side by side. You really don't have to be a genius to figure this out. Have a good day.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I'm confused . You say you want a liberal place because you want open minded. We suggest places and you say no because they don't follow your views. Aren't liberals suppose to accept ALL views??? That is a true liberal. Or do you want a place that just excepts YOUR views??
Welcome to Madison, Wisconsin! Park your silver PRIUS next to ... the other silver PRIUSes!

Evanston, Illinois: What do you mean you don't shop at Whole Foods?!

I could go on...

Old 05-31-2007, 03:44 PM

I know exactly where you're coming from with the Evanston slogan....lol
You really have to live it to know!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Welcome to Madison, Wisconsin! Park your silver PRIUS next to ... the other silver PRIUSes!

Evanston, Illinois: What do you mean you don't shop at Whole Foods?!

I could go on...
I know what you mean. LOL

Old 05-31-2007, 03:54 PM

154 posts, read 707,162 times
surprised nobody else has mentioned it yet, so i will... providence, RI.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:01 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
I agree that the nation's most liberal cities tend to be among the most expensive. I think some of the more liberal areas with a lower cost of living (granted, this is relative) include Madison, Austin, and quite a few college towns like Bloomington (IN), Columbia (MO), Lawrence (KS) and Ann Arbor. These places aren't so liberal that they would ever be accused of doubling for Berkeley or Cambridge, but quite liberal nonetheless and if you're looking for a place that leans heavily liberal but is more affordable, I'd say these college towns and smaller cities are your best bets. Within their respective states, these areas are expensive, but on a nationwide scale, pale in comparison to the coastal liberal meccas like San Francisco, Seattle and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.