Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 15,054 times

Advertisements

Right now I live between DC and Arizona (long story) and the responsibility of paying for both places is taking a financial toll on my boyfriend and myself. He suggested we buy a condo and keep a place on the East Coast to visit.

I work sporadically so I don't have to worry about leaving a great job. I'm condo shopping online and I'd like to eventually settle down in a place that offers this:

-friendly and laid back but cultured people
-job opportunity galore and a growing economy
-affordable city living
-near an international airport
-easy access to water or the ocean
-lots of ethnic restaurants and sizzling nightlife (more importance on the former than latter)
-some glamour
-warmer weather, probably more on the humid side as humidity keeps you looking younger much longer than drier climates. I also like rain.

I'd like to live in a high rise condo and preferaby pay no more than $300,000. I'd like to live in the city or a place that feels like a city. I love the culture of Washington and the scenic beauty of Arizona. However, I find the former too hectic and rude and the latter a little too serene and not very multi cultural.

My background - military brat, southern bred but multi cultural, loves to travel (hence wanting to be near an international airport). Also, I am used to really bad traffic, and as long as I have my tunes and a cup of coffee, traffic is no problem.

I'm very interested in hearing your input, and I thank you ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Perhaps Miami? Though I'm not sure about its job climate, the weather is beautiful (and humid), the population is extremely diverse, and the water access is basically unrivaled by any other city in the country. The city is historically expensive, but the condo market there is so extremely overbuilt that the prices have to have dropped by a significant amount. I'm sure Miami's airport is fantastic.

You said you want some glamour...but Miami has lots of it haha. Beautiful beaches, beautiful weather, sizzling nightlife and ethnic foods in a glamorous environment? Sounds like a description of Miami if I've ever heard one.

Of course the traffic is hideous, but you said that's not a problem. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I agree. Miami sounds like a great fit for you.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Probably Miami

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
This almost seems like a joke. Every facet of the OP's post suggest Miami is the place she is looking for. You can literally put a check next to every item on the list for Miami, including the many sub-$300k condos available in one of the dozens of high rise buildings in the city. Heck, you could probably get two condos for $300k nowadays.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeseymour View Post
Right now I live between DC and Arizona (long story) and the responsibility of paying for both places is taking a financial toll on my boyfriend and myself. He suggested we buy a condo and keep a place on the East Coast to visit.

I work sporadically so I don't have to worry about leaving a great job. I'm condo shopping online and I'd like to eventually settle down in a place that offers this:

-friendly and laid back but cultured people
-job opportunity galore and a growing economy
-affordable city living
-near an international airport
-easy access to water or the ocean
-lots of ethnic restaurants and sizzling nightlife (more importance on the former than latter)
-some glamour
-warmer weather, probably more on the humid side as humidity keeps you looking younger much longer than drier climates. I also like rain.

I'd like to live in a high rise condo and preferaby pay no more than $300,000. I'd like to live in the city or a place that feels like a city. I love the culture of Washington and the scenic beauty of Arizona. However, I find the former too hectic and rude and the latter a little too serene and not very multi cultural.

My background - military brat, southern bred but multi cultural, loves to travel (hence wanting to be near an international airport). Also, I am used to really bad traffic, and as long as I have my tunes and a cup of coffee, traffic is no problem.

I'm very interested in hearing your input, and I thank you ahead of time.
charleston south carolina

Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Stop not conforming to our Miami suggestion!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 15,054 times
Okay, I should have mentioned, I lived in Miami back in '95 for several months (had a job downtown) and I hated it. Shallow, shallow, shallow. The pay sucked and it was one of those everything that could go wrong did go wrong situations. Maybe things would be different now that I'm older but I'm not a fan of that part of Florida in general.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Don't buy, rent for at least 2 years.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I'm thinking the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area of Virginia. It seems to fit almost everything you want as well. Specifically Virginia Beach might be the place for you.

Tidewater region of Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tidewater / Hampton Roads - Virginia Is For Lovers
Official City of Virginia Beach Web Site
Virginia Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau
Virginia Beach |

Norfolk might work too:
Norfolk.gov - The official site of the City of Norfolk
Welcome to Norfolk Convention & Visitors Bureau
Norfolk, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.