Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does he?
Yes, he does. 35 94.59%
No, he doesn't. 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times

Advertisements

I hear a very slight Chicago accent, but to me it doesn't really stick out enough to separate it as anything other than general American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh coldwine, must you always refute all accepted linguistic data on US regional accents just because you can't hear it? Surely you realize that there is an accent specific to the Great Lakes region of the US that is different from the West Coast, East Coast, and the South. Naturally, not everyone has it, just as not everyone from Boston has the Boston accent, but I grew up in a more working class part of the Chicago area, I and definitely could introduce you to some older guys in their 50's and 60's who grew up on the south-side who have the accent.

As far as Obama is concerned, I find his accent rather neutral.
Yes, actually. As a first gen American from a household where English wasn't even the second language spoken at home, I'm generally mystified by the assertion if this northern cities vowel shift situation.

After having lived abroad, I still haven't heard it. Oh, except for Peter griffin on Family Guy. But I thought it was a midwest phenomenon.

There is most certainly a Chicago accent, but it ain't this NCVS bull.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Yes, actually. As a first gen American from a household where English wasn't even the second language spoken at home, I'm generally mystified by the assertion if this northern cities vowel shift situation.

After having lived abroad, I still haven't heard it. Oh, except for Peter griffin on Family Guy. But I thought it was a midwest phenomenon.

There is most certainly a Chicago accent, but it ain't this NCVS bull.
The voice of Peter Griffin is a mixture of the Boston and NYC accents; after all, the show is set in RI, and if you've ever visited Providence, this is what you'll hear..

Obama has a fairly neutral, nondescript generic accent, IMHO.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
where do they say "wooder" for water? I heard a lady say that at Mammoth Cave once.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
I voted "No". He sounds clearly like a well spoken guy from the midwest to me. I would never confuse him for a well spoken person from anywhere on the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida. Maybe it's because I study languages?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
where do they say "wooder" for water? I heard a lady say that at Mammoth Cave once.
Lol Washington DC, Baltimore....that general area.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
ok... she had asked if the ceiling of the cave was formed by wooder(water) and it took a second to register what she meant lol

Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Wooder = Philly. It's pretty well known around there. I've never heard anyone from Maryland say wooder.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm from Chicago, and neither myself nor anyone I know speaks like that. So, you know. BS
Yeah, I think the stereotype of the "Chicago accent" grossly exaggerates the general situation in 2010.

With millions of people in the metro now being hispanic, black or asian, as well as the large numbers of people that have moved away since the 1960's, only to be replaced by large numbers moving in from around the Midwest since the early 1990's - the hard core Chicago accent is definitely an exception than any rule.

I've been here for 9 years now from elsewhere in the Midwest, and I never really noticed any accent, and no one back home has ever mentioned that I've developed one. It's pretty much a non-issue in the city as far as people talking about this accent.

Once in awhile I will hear a really Ditka or SNL "Da Bears" accent, but it's more of a novelty.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Wooder = Philly. It's pretty well known around there. I've never heard anyone from Maryland say wooder.
Oh yeah, the whole areas has people saying that -

"Listen for water becoming wooder, and orange as awrange, and you'll realize there really is an accent here. And don't say Maryland like Mary land—you'll sound funny."

Straight off of wikitravel Maryland page!
Talk:Maryland - Wikitravel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.