Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 54,956 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, well spring break is coming soon, and it's been a very hard winter, so I'm looking to actually use my break to go somewhere instead of work. I'm fairly confident that me and my girlfriend have decided on Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

I was hoping you guys could give us some suggestions of things to do there..I always hear about it being full of things to do. Also, if anyone has ever gone at the end of March, how was the weather?

NOTE- I didn't put this in the Tennessee forum because I wanted to hear about a tourists point of view as people who live in the area may take certain attractions or events for granted.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,710,680 times
I go to that area quite a bit, and there is lots to do. First there is the national park, lots of hiking, waterfalls, mountain drives. THe scenery is spectacular. Now for Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg themselves, there are more shows than can be listed. Dollywood is there, but not sure when it opens. Lots of little stores and shops(esp in Gatlinburg). THere is an endless selection of food. There are lots of touristy type put put golf, games and arcades, go carts. If you have kids, they will love pigeon forge. One thing to keep in mind, traffic during a holiday can be brutal there. The main road can literaly come to gridlock and become a parking lot. Ive never been over spring break, so I dont know if that happens at that time. Pigeon forge is prob cheaper for hotels, and a little less traffic issues than gatlinburg itself. Ive been there many times and never had a bad time there, even when the traffic is bad. The area is beautiful, lots to do inside and outside.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the post! I'm hoping most people go further south for their spring break to cut some of the traffic down. My girlfriend says she's particularly interested in the Dixie Stampede show thing? Have you ever been?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,624,411 times
I have been to the Dixie Stampede; it's good fun. It's a dinner/show, similar to the Medieval Times in Northern NJ. Delicious food in generous portions.

Instead of knights competing against one another (as with the medieval theme), the Union and the Confederacy are pitted against each other. On the night I went the South won and the sense of pride and satisfaction in the audience was uplifting

Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,608,174 times
suggestions? don't go. eastern Tennessee is very nice, but I really hate that place.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,145,087 times
Dixie Stampede is usually pretty cool. I've been several times, always taking someone from out of state.
You can have some good fun, some cheesy fun, some nature fun, etc.
There's an indoor skating rink at Ober Gatlinburg.
Lot's of show places. The comedy barn is usually good, clean fun.
Of course, there's the Ripley's places, including an aquarium.
There are good restaurants.
Cheesy fun--Hillbilly golf. Unique mini-golf.

Weather that time of year could be about anything. It could snow (doubtful, but has happened.), could be hot. Biggest odds are it will likely be rainy and cool.

It will be crowded. A lot of folks go there for spring break. If crowds bother you, look to stay in Townsend, TN...quiter, cheaper and close enough to easily drive to Gatlinburg.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,877,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaum07 View Post
Hey guys, well spring break is coming soon, and it's been a very hard winter, so I'm looking to actually use my break to go somewhere instead of work. I'm fairly confident that me and my girlfriend have decided on Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

I was hoping you guys could give us some suggestions of things to do there..I always hear about it being full of things to do. Also, if anyone has ever gone at the end of March, how was the weather?

NOTE- I didn't put this in the Tennessee forum because I wanted to hear about a tourists point of view as people who live in the area may take certain attractions or events for granted.
The whole strip of Pigeon Forge is full of businesses and things to do.

March is a perfect time to go. The Hotels are cheap and the weather is breaking into the mid 50's sometimes 60's.

Pigeon River Inn is a nice place to stay.

I would park the car at the hotel and wait for the trolley.

There is indoor skydiving in Pigeon Forge. Lots of rides and indoor adventures.

In Gatlinburg there is a giant Aquarium exhibit. You will love that if you love the ocean.

Lots of fun. Lot's of pamphlets in the area that can give you coupons for savings on alot of the attractions.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,410,451 times
That area is one giant tourist trap and I find it kind of disgusting.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 AM

So are the events the sort of thing where I should make reservations, or is it more of a "walk right up" sort of thing? 50s and 60s sound wonderful right now hahah.

Thanks for the help guys, keep 'em coming!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,145,087 times
MOST of them are "walk right up" type, but, depending upon the show and time of year some tickets can be hard to get if you wait until the last moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.