Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
My sister lived in Minneapolis for about 7 years, and I very much enjoyed visiting her there. I love the mix of progressive and traditional values, the beautiful old homes, and the lakes and parks. I think it's one of the prettiest cities in the country. They always claimed the winters weren't as bad as you would think because the humidity is lower than on the East Coast (where my sister and her husband are from), so the cold didn't seem as "cold." It was more the length of the winter that bothered them.

Yeah, that's what some Minnesotans say, but look at the data. It's cold there, period.
Typical Weather for Minneapolis, MN - Local Forecasts (http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-normals.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg= 1&zipcode=55401&metric=0 - broken link)

They really liked it there, but ended up moving back to the East Coast because they ultimately felt more comfortable there and wanted to be closer to friends and family. My brother-in-law likes the coast and sailing, and sailing on MN lakes just didn't cut it for him. My sister, who is very friendly and likable, had a hard time building a network of close friends--many of the people who lived there were from there and already had an established network of friends and family--it was hard to "break in." She said many of the out-of-state people felt that way in Minneapolis. Just something to think about.
The same is said of many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
Minnesota is the best, hands down. Wisconsin is pretty nice too. Northern Indiana, Southern Michigan and Northern Ohio is the armpit of the midwest. Very mean people, and depressing cities.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
I would have to say Ohio on this one. Yes, believe it or not.
Ohio is not in the Midwest. End of story.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Depends on what you want. If you want any kind of real city-life or to put your self in a position to move up in the world, then the Twin Cities are your only choice. That is the largest city(ies) in the region. Chicago and Kansas City are 700 miles to the east and south respectively, and their really isn't nothing all the way to Boise on the west. Small towns, rural villages and small larger towns are all that is left for you to choose from. (note, I include Des Moines, Fargo/Moorehead, Minot, Rapid City, Omaha, etc. in the small larger towns).

Good choice omitting Wisconsin

Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 AM

Omaha is larger than Pittsburgh! It's not a "town". (Its metro is smaller, but still 800,000 people, more if you include Lincoln, which is only about 50 miles away.)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Ummm...yes it is. As is Missouri.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Omaha is larger than Pittsburgh! It's not a "town". (Its metro is smaller, but still 800,000 people, more if you include Lincoln, which is only about 50 miles away.)
I'm sorry pittnurse, but saying "omaha is larger than pittsburgh" is so deceiving. We all say it time and time again....POLITICAL BOUNDARIES do not dictate how large a city is. We look at MSA. 800,000 is pretty small compared to most of the major msa's in the US.

(this is a huge pet peave of mine) that's like saying omaha is almost as large as Minneapolis! it gives smaller cities some type of ego booster, but is clearly misleading. The cities are no where similar.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I'm sorry pittnurse, but saying "omaha is larger than pittsburgh" is so deceiving. We all say it time and time again....POLITICAL BOUNDARIES do not dictate how large a city is. We look at MSA. 800,000 is pretty small compared to most of the major msa's in the US.

(this is a huge pet peave of mine) that's like saying omaha is almost as large as Minneapolis! it gives smaller cities some type of ego booster, but is clearly misleading. The cities are no where similar.
I don't think anyone here in Omaha is fooled into an ego boost because the city's population.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post

Well look at the MSA of Boise. It's about 527,000 people. WAY smaller than Omaha. 1400 miles away, as well. And Chicago and KC are not 700 miles from Minneapolis. They are about 450 miles, each. Denver is about 900 miles to the southwest. It is a METRO city of 2.5 million people.

Here is the original post I was responding to: If you want any kind of real city-life or to put your self in a position to move up in the world, then the Twin Cities are your only choice. That is the largest city(ies) in the region. Chicago and Kansas City are 700 miles to the east and south respectively, and their really isn't nothing all the way to Boise on the west. Small towns, rural villages and small larger towns are all that is left for you to choose from. (note, I include Des Moines, Fargo/Moorehead, Minot, Rapid City, Omaha, etc. in the small larger towns).
800,000 people is hardly a small larger town, whatever that is supposed to mean.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-11-2007 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-15-2008, 06:15 PM

151 posts, read 739,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I live in Ohio, and I thought the same. I've changed my mind since then though. Ohio IS in the Midwest, and you're from Massachusetts, so wouldn't you think that the Midwest starts in Philly?

To me, the best places in the Midwest are Northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, and Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.