Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The rocky coastline with the cliffs is prettier in my opinion.

And for the record, Jones Beach is the most visited beach on the east coast. It has the highest number of visitors. So I would say it's pretty well-known...All just 10 minutes from me. Nothing better than seeing a concert at the venue and being right on the water during the summer.

Wapedia - Wiki: Jones Beach State Park
Are you forgetting Atlantic City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 01:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Are you forgetting Atlantic City?

Jones Beach is the most visited on the east coast. Atlantic City probably isn't that far behind. I'd take Atlantic City over any Florida beach.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 PM

134 posts, read 123,125 times
It is hard to beat the Gulfstream waters of South Florida beaches as they are gorgeous as I envy people who live there.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Jones beach is just ONE, and it attracts 8 million visitors a year.
Even IF there were 170 days you could use Jones beach a year that would average out to just over 47,000 a day on the beach. No frigging thanks. I like beaches where you can hear the waves, not the loud drunk that has his blanket 3 inches from mine, or the screaming kids all over the place.

I've been to Jones beach, as well as a lot of others up and down the East Coast from Maine to Florida. Also been to the beaches on all of the Great Lakes as well as beaches from Washington State down to San Diego on the Pacific side. Once you get out of the Northeast very few people have heard of Jones Beach.

I do want to get down to the Bahamas and go the the pink sand beaches someday. Right now I'll take my little old no-name 8 mile long beach that gets about 100 visitors a summer and relax on a soft, sugar sand beach that is so clean and clear it squeaks when you walk on it. Listen to the waves swish ashore from my little 22,000 square mile freshwater lake and relish the thought that it is one of the best beaches I have EVER been on anyplace in the Country and hardly anybody knows how to get there. It is nice walking down to the beach and there isn't another soul within a mile or more on either side of you and enjoying 70+ degree crystal clear water you don't have to shower off afterward. Yep, people can keep that crowded mess that they think are beaches to themselves. My wife grew up by the north shore of Mass and she loves the beaches here in Michigan much better. Less people, better sand, better water.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Even IF there were 170 days you could use Jones beach a year that would average out to just over 47,000 a day on the beach. No frigging thanks. I like beaches where you can hear the waves, not the loud drunk that has his blanket 3 inches from mine, or the screaming kids all over the place.

I've been to Jones beach, as well as a lot of others up and down the East Coast from Maine to Florida. Also been to the beaches on all of the Great Lakes as well as beaches from Washington State down to San Diego on the Pacific side. Once you get out of the Northeast very few people have heard of Jones Beach.
Bydand, the beauty of Jones Beach is not just that its just another beach. Its a beach on the ocean in a well designed state park that is without all the honky-tonk boardwalk, hotels, high rise condos and stuff. And it is close to NYC.

Far too many other beaches in this country look like honky-tonk sprawl.

If you want less crowded beaches on Long Island you can easily find them. Not all the beaches are on the ocean, some of the less popular ones are on the Sound and on the various bays. Most people prefer the larger waves on the ocean but on the Sound you will find calmer water similar to Lake Michigan.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:

I do want to get down to the Bahamas and go the the pink sand beaches someday. Right now I'll take my little old no-name 8 mile long beach that gets about 100 visitors a summer and relax on a soft, sugar sand beach that is so clean and clear it squeaks when you walk on it. Listen to the waves swish ashore from my little 22,000 square mile freshwater lake and relish the thought that it is one of the best beaches I have EVER been on anyplace in the Country and hardly anybody knows how to get there. It is nice walking down to the beach and there isn't another soul within a mile or more on either side of you and enjoying 70+ degree crystal clear water you don't have to shower off afterward. Yep, people can keep that crowded mess that they think are beaches to themselves. My wife grew up by the north shore of Mass and she loves the beaches here in Michigan much better. Less people, better sand, better water.
I've been to some of the beaches on Lake Michigan, like Silver Lake State park, and near Stony lake. I had a lot of fun, and the sand dunes are amazing. Im surprised more people don't know about it, but I guess thats a good thing. Only downside is the water was freezing, even in july. I tried to get used to it, but just couldn't. And Its not because Im a Floridian either. No one was going in. But you can always swim in the smaller lakes.

And I agree with you about crowded beaches. Going to the beach is no fun when you have to zig zag to get to the water, or spend 10 mins finding a parking spot or a place to place for your towel or blanket.

Last edited by TB Fla; 03-13-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Jones Beach is the most visited on the east coast. Atlantic City probably isn't that far behind. I'd take Atlantic City over any Florida beach.
Interesting, I didn't know that.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Actually, it's Bermuda that has the pink sand beaches. I was there about 3 springs ago. I've been to the Bahamas too. Bermuda beaches are nice, imo.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Bydand, the beauty of Jones Beach is not just that its just another beach. Its a beach on the ocean in a well designed state park that is without all the honky-tonk boardwalk, hotels, high rise condos and stuff. And it is close to NYC.

Far too many other beaches in this country look like honky-tonk sprawl.

If you want less crowded beaches on Long Island you can easily find them. Not all the beaches are on the ocean, some of the less popular ones are on the Sound and on the various bays. Most people prefer the larger waves on the ocean but on the Sound you will find calmer water similar to Lake Michigan.

For a while I lived walking distance from the bluff on the north shore. Hardly anyone was ever there. I'd love walking up on the cliff and overlooking CT and the sound.

In my opinion, this is prettier than any other beach on Long Island, or Florida for that matter. Just to be that high and overlooking all that is awesome.

Nissequogue River State Park, NY on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkylu25/1095921874/ - broken link)

Old 03-13-2010, 04:07 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:
Actually, it's Bermuda that has the pink sand beaches. I was there about 3 springs ago. I've been to the Bahamas too. Bermuda beaches are nice, imo.
The Bahamas have pink sand beaches too.

Welcome to Pink Sands Resort on the famous Pink Sands Beach in Harbour Island, Bahamas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.