Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:58 AM

18 posts, read 88,930 times

Advertisements

Hello, my biggest dream it is to travel to the USA.I come from Germany.
I want to travel to Utah or Oregon or Iowa, maybe someone can tell me a little about these states?
My criterias are:
a city with a low crime rate, many things to do at the evening (cinema, bars, restaurants) and outdoor activities at the day and friendly people.

I´m very happy, if someone give me answers

Sorry for my bad english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
You're English is very good. I would choose Oregon. Iowa is a family state, Utah is a "dry" state (bars, etc.). Portland area is a booming area - alot of activities and culture events. Good luck

Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 AM

108 posts, read 502,524 times
If your not looking for corn, I'd stay away from Iowa (WTF??). Utah has beautiful state parks, but you will have an issue with drinking (if that is really what you want to come to America for). Oregon has everything. Great scenery, the ocean, fantastic outdoors, and good nightlife.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the answers.
No I don´t come to America for drinking, I don´t drinking alcohol.
I think Portland is not the right for me.
The importent things for me are a low crime rate and a few things to do, for example: walking, go shopping, bowling, cinema and restaurants/bars.
I don´t need nightclubs, I like it to go to a restaurant or a bar (no I don´t drink alcohol, I think I can drink a softdrink in a bar, too) at the evening.
The cities which I want to visit are Provo in Utah or Eugene or Salem in Oregon.
What do you think is the better choose, which city have the lower crime rate and a few things to do?

Old 06-04-2007, 07:18 AM

832 posts, read 3,852,602 times
Eugene is a great college town. Salem is the state capital. Also the Oregon coast is quite beautiful.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 AM

42 posts, read 69,148 times
Oh, I love Eugene, it is such a great choice for a place to go. However, stay as far away from Salem as you possibly can! The place is a total dump.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
I defenitely recommend oregon. Salem and Eugene both sound like awesome towns.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Utah. Its more gorgeous than Oregon, has more diverse scenery, and better weather too. ;-)

Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 PM

Is in Eugene a low crime rate?
Oh thats a heavy dicision for me, but thanks for the answers, the answers help me

Old 06-04-2007, 01:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Hi Nadine,

I've been to Germany and see where you're coming from. Out of the cities mentioned you may want to check out Salt Lake City Utah or Portland and/or Eugene.

It depends on what you seek. It sounds like your "emphasis" is on crime. I can honestly tell you that any city is going to have crime as well as any suburb, you just have to watch how you carry yourself. People usually become victims of crime based on projecting fear and insecurity. Be nice, polite and and focus on having a good time...You'll be fine anywhere you go.

Based on what you're seeking...I would suggest visiting Austin TX. It has a good variety of everything and the people are very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.