Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times

Advertisements

What is your observations on the slowest paced driving states? For example,every day on the way to and from work in NJ I am basically almost run off the road by some psychotic drivers and I am beyond sick of it and would ideally like to factor something like that into my relocation.
From what I have observed just on the east coast,so far my only experiences with somewhat sane drivers were actually only places like western VA and northern IN/MI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Chicago.

j/k

Id have to say Tennessee. Good gork they are slow!!!! Just going to the store was an exercise in self-control. LOL

Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id have to say Tennessee. Good gork they are slow!!!! Just going to the store was an exercise in self-control. LOL
Yes but what part of TN? I have been through Bristol and if that's where the speedway is then I think the drivers are like they are in any NASCAR territory!
The Smoky Mtn/Pigeon Forge area seemed ok though.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,230 times
Maine drivers tend to be pretty darn slow and polite, even.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,741 times
Portland, Seattle, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Dallas have the most courteous drivers according to the yearly AutoVantage Road Rage survey.
https://www.autovantage.com/global/s...vAUTVANonlgs01

Old 06-04-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Maine drivers tend to be pretty darn slow and polite, even.
Good because that was one of my 'summer' locales,although I've heard there's ALOT of tourist traffic there in summer.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:36 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Louisville isn't too bad as far as speed but you do have a few. For the most part they are pretty laid back drivers.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Dallas have the most courteous drivers according to the yearly AutoVantage Road Rage survey.
Now that's funny.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,780 times
Maine drivers are VERY slow once your away from the southern tip and the Portland region. Of course this may have to do with the fact that Maine also has the oldest median age of all 50 states. Looking at it from another aspect, the DC area drivers tend to move at a snail's pace because really, your life is comparable to a sardine in a can constantly. However, the one hour of the day you can actually accelerate, they do tend to make up well for the delay.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,718 times
Maine (except for Portland) and Missouri (except for around St Louis and KC) have very well-mannered drivers. Generally speaking though, the farther south you go, the slower they are in America.. but not in all cases.

Here's my most and least favorites:

Maine-(far from much civilization)
Missouri-(close to the best driving experience I've ever had)
Denver-(not too bad, but interstate 25 is a raceway and redlights that never change green)
San Diego-(really friendly drivers which tends to dissapear once you get on a freeway)
Phoenix-(well-planned, but you still got jerks who want to cut you off on the I-10)
West Virginia-(If I have to drive on that interstate once more--I swear I'll cut my wrists!)
New Hampshire-(bit hurried compare to Maine counterparts, but rarely tailgate or drive dumb like Massachusetts)
Las Vegas-(jerks galore and new housing daily)
L.A.-(traffic 24/7, so people don't plan on getting somewhere in 5 minutes anymore)
Providence(what a little zoo full of graffiti and vandalism. There's nothing of importance there-so why the rush? -Well, they want to leave and quickly get to places like NYC and Boston.)
Portland, OR(not too bad, very good plannning)
Chicago(Boston of the MidWest, manners don't exist..)
Florida -(horrible drivers, i hear it all the time many w/o insurance)
San Francisco-(not the traffic persay-but driving-wise their heads are up their butts!)
NYC-(the manhattan grid aka the zoo york-so horrible horrible driving,,)
(YES, I driven in all of these place.. I am a traveling nut)

Avoid anywhere from Massachusetts, CT, RI, downstate NY, or NJ)

Last edited by fashionablecowboy; 06-05-2007 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.