Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 AM

5 posts, read 17,151 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, myself and my husband are in the early stages of attempting to emmigrate to the US from the UK. My husband is a prison officer and after we decide on a state, will start applying for jobs and visa. We have 2 children ages 5 and 1 and obviously good schools, low crime rate, safety are a must. So to start us off I would like to ask you all....

If you could choose any state to raise children, which and where would you choose?

Thanks x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Probably somewhere in the South or the West. In the South, it's a very kid-friendly area, where kids are still taught basic courtesy towards adults. It was a little strange at first having come from the midwest, but I've really grown to appreciate it. As far as the schools are concerned, you really just have to pick your neighborhood. Where we live today (Birmingham, Alabama), the school our kids attend is one of the country's top 200.

As an added bonus, the economy is much stronger in the South now than elsewhere, with continued prospects for economic growth. Meanwhile, the tax rates are incredibly low.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
It's all relative. You'll get someone from every part of the country arguing why their area is the best. I grew up in South Florida and though the real estate is crazy, the cost of living is ridiculous, it's over crowded in some areas, and HOT, I loved it and to me it will always be home and I will always think of FL as the best state ever. You can find great schools, even the best schools in certain areas. It has diversity and culture, which is really important to my family and I. You can't beat the beaches the never ending things to do there with and without kids. The weather is fabulous. And as for places to live, you have something for every one. Urban cities, suburbs, farms and ranches, gated communities, older communities, houses with stables and towns that are horse friendly and ag. communities, etc., etc.

My kids were born in Charlotteville, VA and though we only lived there for 6 years before moving back to Fl., I will say it was a wonderful place to raise kids as well if you want that smaller town, but not too small of a town feel. Plus it had great historical sites and since it is a university town (the very first public university might I add), it has a feel of being based in education and higher learning and has some really great schools, public and private. Plus Richmond is only 45 minutes away and DC is just a drive as well, and you don;t get much more educational then DC.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
I would choose right where I am right now, Arkansas. While some parts of the state are behind the curve in schools, we are rapidly catching up mostly due to some extremely good school districts. Cost of living is very low so you can afford to do more. And in most towns there is a LOT of things for families to do.

I'm biased because this is my home state but I did leave for work reasons and lived in one of the richest states in the US and lived quite well. But I'll tell you quickly, it wasn't nearly the quality of life we now have in Arkansas with the proximity and variety of things to do. If you want a major metropolitan right on doorstep then this isn't the place to be but Little Rock has most of the amenities of a decent sized city in a smaller package. So here in Arkansas you can have enough urban with a LOT of natural amenities too. We never want for anything to do!

Our economy is doing very well relative to the US national economy. Lots of jobs are being created here and home values are not dropping like the rest of the country. Gas is less expensive than the national average in most places.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I would choose right where I am right now, Arkansas. While some parts of the state are behind the curve in schools, we are rapidly catching up mostly due to some extremely good school districts. Cost of living is very low so you can afford to do more. And in most towns there is a LOT of things for families to do.

I'm biased because this is my home state but I did leave for work reasons and lived in one of the richest states in the US and lived quite well. But I'll tell you quickly, it wasn't nearly the quality of life we now have in Arkansas with the proximity and variety of things to do. If you want a major metropolitan right on doorstep then this isn't the place to be but Little Rock has most of the amenities of a decent sized city in a smaller package. So here in Arkansas you can have enough urban with a LOT of natural amenities too. We never want for anything to do!

Our economy is doing very well relative to the US national economy. Lots of jobs are being created here and home values are not dropping like the rest of the country. Gas is less expensive than the national average in most places.
Glad to hear it since as you know from my other post, I am relocating to NWA pretty soon. I will say that I was so surprised when I got there because I expected it to be a lot more rural then it was, especially driving from the NWA airport to Rogers. The first few minutes of the drive I started worrying, but then as we got closer to town I realized it was nothing like I pictured. Plus I though Ar was going to be a lot flatter and, well, browner then it was. I didn't realize how green and stunning a lot of the natural areas were. And you are right about the economy since that si the reason we are moving there in the first place.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
I live in PA, and have 2 kids, and am very happy raising my kids in Scranton, PA. Its a small-town atmosphere with city conveniences. Not too big, not too small. Its safe, low crime, and good schools. Lots of outdoor recreational opportunities, and only a 2 hour drive from both Philadelphia and New York City, so lots of opportunities for major league sports, museums, etc, close enough for day trips. Beaches are also within a 3 hour drive.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Any state can be a good state for kids. It's how you raise them and how you choose to spend time with them that matters.

It all just comes down to finding good neighborhoods that offer what you're looking for.

Do you have any other criteria? I mean, there are 50 states...it'll be hard to narrow down without more to go on...

Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 17,151 times
Thanks for all your replies. I can see your point, I guess every state has good neighbourhoods, schools, etc, but we dont want to be priced out to be able to achieve this. So to narrow it down.... We are looking for nice sunny weather, the majority of the year, reasonably close to either the beach or lakes as my daughter is keen to get involved in water sports. Somewhere within driving distance from days out for the kids etc.. Property wise, we are looking at 3 to 4 bedrooms and would be able to either buy outright with $240,000 or rent for 6 months then get an extra $150,000 mortgage. Hope you can help me narrow it down from 50 states. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
New England ( no pun intended )
Connecticut is civilized, the rest of us still drag our knuckles.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstring View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I can see your point, I guess every state has good neighbourhoods, schools, etc, but we dont want to be priced out to be able to achieve this. So to narrow it down.... We are looking for nice sunny weather, the majority of the year, reasonably close to either the beach or lakes as my daughter is keen to get involved in water sports. Somewhere within driving distance from days out for the kids etc.. Property wise, we are looking at 3 to 4 bedrooms and would be able to either buy outright with $240,000 or rent for 6 months then get an extra $150,000 mortgage. Hope you can help me narrow it down from 50 states. Thanks.
My son loves Texas and homes are very affordable (if you can stand the heat and humidity)
Myself, I loved Utah when I lived there. Very pretty and gorgeous mountains and great skiing. My kids all went to school there and I loved the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.