Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times

Advertisements

I grew up between San Francisco and suburban Maryland. In SF, you can smoke a fat joint in front of the police station and no one will care 99% of the time. In suburban Maryland, cops will literally take your car apart and throw you in jail for having a speck of marijuana on your shirt. Many of my friends in Maryland have been arrested and charged with possession for having less than half a gram of weed in between the crevices of their car seats or somewhere in their car. In California, having less than an ounce will not have you in jail. Sometimes people are able to get away with having much more weed in CA. People are also allowed to grow their own weed in CA and everyone knows someone who will refer you to a doctor who can and will prescribe you a medical marijuana card so you can buy and smoke weed "legally" without dealing with shady street dealers. In Maryland, weed is a much more underground phenomenon. No upscale weed dispensaries or homeless people selling super-chronic in MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I grew up between San Francisco and suburban Maryland. In SF, you can smoke a fat joint in front of the police station and no one will care 99% of the time. In suburban Maryland, cops will literally take your car apart and throw you in jail for having a speck of marijuana on your shirt. Many of my friends in Maryland have been arrested and charged with possession for having less than half a gram of weed in between the crevices of their car seats or somewhere in their car. In California, having less than an ounce will not have you in jail. Sometimes people are able to get away with having much more weed in CA. People are also allowed to grow their own weed in CA and everyone knows someone who will refer you to a doctor who can and will prescribe you a medical marijuana card so you can buy and smoke weed "legally" without dealing with shady street dealers. In Maryland, weed is a much more underground phenomenon. No upscale weed dispensaries or homeless people selling super-chronic in MD.
You can replace Maryland with almost any other state in the US.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Oh man! When driving in Mexico I encountered these jug handle left turns. It took me a few days to figure out how they worked and as soon as i figured it out, I came upon an intersection with a customary left turn lane. It took a few weeks before folks stopped honking at me! Never did get completely used to them.
The trouble is, you need to be a "local" in order to know which lane you need to get into in order to turn, depending on whether that intersection is a jug-handle or not.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:22 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
Smoking weed seems like such a pain in the arse. Whether it should be legal or not... I don't really care. But I almost feel sorry for people who are so obsessed with marijuana and marijuana laws. Good grief. Find something productive to do with your energy. You know, things that are legal. Then you don't even have to WORRY about being harassed by the cops. Seems like life would be a lot more enjoyable that way.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:48 AM

201 posts, read 573,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Smoking weed seems like such a pain in the arse. Whether it should be legal or not... I don't really care. But I almost feel sorry for people who are so obsessed with marijuana and marijuana laws. Good grief. Find something productive to do with your energy. You know, things that are legal. Then you don't even have to WORRY about being harassed by the cops. Seems like life would be a lot more enjoyable that way.
I never really looked at it like that. Sounds like a good idea, although i'm not a marijuana smoker to begin with.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 AM

201 posts, read 573,822 times
I guess I experienced some culture shock earlier this month when I came to Bowie, Maryland in the DC metro area. I've been to Bowie before but I was younger and I riding with my family to visit my cousin so I didn't have to deal with people and I wasn't the one driving. But I went there, I did deal with people there, and I was driving...

It was a culture shock for me, being from rural south eastern Maryland because everyone seemed so... different. I remember asking a woman where a bathroom was. She said something in a semi-rude tone so I asked what she said then she got a little attitudy and when I said ok thank you she didn't respond. I think that was the first time that had ever happened to me. Also when being served food I said thank you again to another woman and got no response in return. Coming from someone who has always been taught to say thank you I felt like it was a little rude on their part. I even remember walking to McDonalds and I had to walk across the drive through to get inside. A car was coming through and the driver stopped and look the other way; he didn't even do the hand motion to signal it was ok for me to walk in front of his car and not get run over like he didn't want to acknowledge me. I was thinking; who is so "busy" they can't kindly gesture to a pedestrian to let them know they can cross? I feel like that's a good give away on the lower eastern shore when people walk in front of your car that they're not from the area. And of course anyone who has driven in the area knows that those people drive like bats outta hell! I had never experienced such wild driving. But still after all that i'm living there!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That also encourages apathy and laziness. I've seen lots of that in KC.
While I know you always hate on KC.... I really can't disagree with you on this point. In fact I completely agree. Many people don't strive to do anything, because they don't have too.... laziness rules here.

But for those who do, it works out very well. I plan to move away from KC for 3 major reasons. 1. Weather 2. I'd like a city that isn't at war with its suburbs, 3. Time for a change....

That said, It's been great... and I'm able to travel so much more living in KC then I would be able to in many other cities.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 AM

63 posts, read 81,596 times
Whenever I go somewhere and there are tons of trees.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
People drink beer, people smoke weed.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
When I visited my aunt in San Diego and realized there were quite a few people who had their their clothes washers and driers installed outside under a covered patio... because it never rains there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.