Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:55 PM

166 posts, read 611,833 times

Advertisements

This really is not a culture shock on my part, but my sister's best friend who was born and raised in Tennessee all of her life and had only visited Alabama, Kentucky and Florida, came with me and my family to New Jersey last summer. She was excited because she had never been up north and we were planning to spend a day in both New York and Philadelphia since Nashville was the biggest city had ever visited before.

As we were passing the bridge that connects Morrisville and Trenton, NJ, she was stunned at all the rowhomes and urban density that Trenton had. As we drove around Trenton for about 10 minutes (keep in mind that Trenton is an African-American majority city with a large Hispanic minority and rapidly shrinking white population) to get to my grandparents' house, she turned to me and my sister and asked with complete seriousness, "Are there no white people in New Jersey?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM

604 posts, read 855,940 times
Moving from the Rockies to Miami, I've had a few. One of the biggest, though: when I first moved into my condo I saw fairly heavy smoke coming out of the windows below mine. Thinking something was on fire I ran downstairs and banged on the door, which was opened to reveal a surprised couple and a very annoyed-looking man dressed all in white: the santero. I had interrupted a Santeria house-cleansing ceremony. Oops!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I had a similar reaction when I made a visit to Dallas in 2001. Around that time, I lived in the exurbs of metro Atlanta(Dallas,GA, not Dallas,TX. I like Dallas TX better). When I went to Dallas,TX, I was shocked by how comfortable 100 degrees Fahrenheit felt. It was dry outside, so it felt okay. Having lived in metropolitan Atlanta, where 80 degrees feels miserable due to the humidity, Dallas,TX at 100 degrees F(with low humidity) felt better. Dallas was huge, very urbanized, not as many trees, flat, and even some of the suburbs were HUGE. Yep. Irving, Arlington, Garland. It seemed like Dallas did everything BIG. I ate at Cheesecake Factory for the first time in my life(in Frisco ,TX). The only time I ever had Cheesecake factory. I noticed things were cheaper, everything except for gasoline(ironic considering Texas is literally sitting on petroleum). In many ways, I found Dallas and some of the suburbs to be more progressive and diverse than Atlanta. One thing that I found interesting(and a throwback to the mid-90's multicultural era) was the large population of Hispanics and Indians(not Native Americans, but people from India) as well as African-Americans. Dallas felt very diverse in my view. Makes sense because demographically, Dallas literally is more diverse than Atlanta. I also saw the people wanted to enjoy life more. I went to three Texas Rangers games. Everyone was so passionate about the came. Earlier that year in Atlanta, I went to a Braves game. It just seemed like no one was that passionate. People were enjoying themselves, but mostly, I saw people sitting around drinking beer and not doing much. It was rather quiet. In the DFW area, people were screaming loud, painting letters on their chests to spell out their favorite players, and there was woman in her forties screaming like crazy. I had a good time. People were friendly and helpful. and very passionate about things. I remember the day I returned to Atlanta. When I got back, the air felt heavy and dirty.
This is exactly how I felt the first time I visited Dallas when I lived in Atlanta. I really loved the Big D. It really is a much more complex area than it gets credit for on this forum. I have now moved out to Dallas and haven't questioned my decision once.

Last edited by R1070; 06-15-2010 at 12:19 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,577 times
I am from the west coast, and never realized how different the east coast was culturally while I was living there, but it really is a very different place.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
returning from france after 5 years, saw a pretty young girl sitting on the platform at oakland bart station sitting on the cement walkway a public walkway.
went up and asked, are you hurt maem?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 AM

383 posts, read 1,589,797 times
I see most of you guys are posting ''national'' culture shocks, so I'm gonna post one international. I'm born and raised in Europe and when I first came to the USA (Atlanta to be precise) I was shocked when:

1) I got out of the airport and I started sweating immediately
2) We drove on the highway, which was super big, still crowded and there were chunks of tires everywhere
3) I first saw relatively newly built American suburb - no sidewalks (that was probably the biggest shock)
4) I visited a whole bunch of fast food places and saw how much food is wasted and especially how everything is wrapped and covered in these unnecessary plastics.
5) I saw strangers talking to each other in e.g. the waiting line, that is so nice (but could get annoying when you're in hurry)
6) I found out that EVERYONE has a car
7) I visited some small towns of Georgia and they look really beautiful. They have some very unique shops and are perfectly manicured
8) I first saw the drive thru CVS pharmacy
9) Most people thought that us Europeans hate them
10) Someone asked me if we have cellphones in the Czech Republic
11) I saw how patriotic Americans are (I thought I knew how patriotic they are, but I didn't). I find it nice that they are celebrating their heritages and history and are proud of their country and the flags are hanging and selling everywhere (It would take you quite a long time to find the flag of the Czech republic in store, most of the time they don't have them, not even on national holidays). It just can't turn into total ignorance
12) I found out how early some people get married
13) I tasted the Texas steaks and Mexican food. I dearly miss it
14) I saw some churches, which you wouldn't recognize from Walmart
15) We went to the U.S. Army base and I found out how many benefits and advantages the soldiers and former army workers have.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
I see most of you guys are posting ''national'' culture shocks, so I'm gonna post one international. I'm born and raised in Europe and when I first came to the USA (Atlanta to be precise) I was shocked when:

2) We drove on the highway, which was super big, still crowded and there were chunks of tires everywhere
3) I first saw relatively newly built American suburb - no sidewalks (that was probably the biggest shock)
4) I visited a whole bunch of fast food places and saw how much food is wasted and especially how everything is wrapped and covered in these unnecessary plastics.
so you are saying you don't have these things in Europe? damn I gotta buy a plane ticket

Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 AM

383 posts, read 1,589,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
so you are saying you don't have these things in Europe? damn I gotta buy a plane ticket
We do have 4) too, but not as much as you have. And the other numbers - at least where I live and where I visited - no we don't. I'm sorry if I insulted you in any way.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post

1) I got out of the airport and I started sweating immediately
5) I saw strangers talking to each other in e.g. the waiting line, that is so nice (but could get annoying when you're in hurry)
7) I visited some small towns of Georgia and they look really beautiful. They have some very unique shops and are perfectly manicured
8) I first saw the drive thru CVS pharmacy
9) Most people thought that us Europeans hate them
10) Someone asked me if we have cellphones in the Czech Republic
11) I saw how patriotic Americans are (I thought I knew how patriotic they are, but I didn't). I find it nice that they are celebrating their heritages and history and are proud of their country and the flags are hanging and selling everywhere (It would take you quite a long time to find the flag of the Czech republic in store, most of the time they don't have them, not even on national holidays). It just can't turn into total ignorance
12) I found out how early some people get married
13) I tasted the Texas steaks and Mexican food. I dearly miss it
15) We went to the U.S. Army base and I found out how many benefits and advantages the soldiers and former army workers have.

Many cities in the US are not like this. The south is known for Walmarts, people marrying young, people more patriotic, tons of churches everywhere, and cities in the north don't rely on cars. I recommend you go visit NYC; very different from Atlanta. You will notice NYC much more similar to Europe than Atlanta.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
You will not experience a true culture shock until you travel to a third world country. Get ready for your comfort zone to be severely tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.