Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

I grew up as a kid in CA and now live (3/4 the time) in Miami Beach. I wouldn't go back to CA. I love Miami Beach. But, that's just my opinion.
BTW, I love all the things that others seem to hate. I love the heat. I love the humidity. I love the warm ocean water. I also love some of the things that never get mentioned about Florida, namely the fact that we have clean air to breathe. I also love the urban nature of South Beach and I love the South American and Caribbean influence of the culture. I am not telling you any of this to convince you to move to South Florida, I am only "putting it out there" to give props to my home and dispell some of the constant negativity that exists here on C-D towards it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM

15 posts, read 22,316 times
I think it's matter of opinion, really- you need to visit both places to make up your mind, kwim?
I live in CA, but have been to FL- personally, I prefer CA's weather (and not just because I live here).. the heat and humidity in Florida is a little much for my tastes. I'm also more fearful of hurricanes- granted, we have earthquakes here.. but hurricanes scare me more, not sure why. Maybe because I'm not used to them so much.

Your cost of living (depending on where in CA you are) may be lower in Florida? I think houses are probably a little cheaper in FL.

It's just hard to give opinion on something like "where should I go".. traveling to both places and visiting would be the best thing, IMO!

Good luck with your choice! (I'm with you... the cold stinks, I could never do it)

Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 AM

160 posts, read 854,404 times
Default On the Move

OK, so I got this thread a bit late but if you haven't moved yet I'll give you the scoop on the climate on both states. I speak from experience and not just what I've read!

I was born & raised in Southern California but have been in Miami for the past 6 years now. I can sum this up in two words - MIAMI SUCKS! As far as weather is concerned (which I believe is one of your main reasons) the city tends to rain when you least expect it. This is due to the tropical climate of South Florida. Humidity is really bad here! Yes, there is sunshine in Miami but when there is you can't really enjoy it because of how humid it is. It's almost sufforcating. You can't walk a block without being drenched in sweat! I'm not kidding!

Now, as far as hiking or biking well; Yes you can do it here in Miami but you really don't get the full experience of these outdoor activities as you would in other states. The scenery here in Miami is, if you're not at the beach are canals off the highways and swamps. Not the best scenery for a bike ride in my opinion.

I can go into the residents of Miami Dade, but just don't let me get started!

With California, in my bias opinion you get it all! Grant it, it tends to get chilly during the winter time but it's nothing like the winters in NY. Bike trails, hiking are probably the BEST in Southern California (that is between the two cities). Where else can you drive about an hour 1/2 and be in the mountains from where-ever you are!

I'd choose California if I were you! In any respect, good luck to you!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Valencia is right in the heart of orange county, it's a bit of a maze of subdivisions and concrete, and not too far from both LA and San diego, and some pretty cool beaches nearby. Santa Clarita is sort of a deserty city on the outskirts of the greater LA area.
Valencia/Santa Clarita are actually north of L.A. (in Northern LA County), and Orange County is south of LA between LA and San Diego. And Valencia is nowhere near the beach.

Just FYI.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM

62 posts, read 116,535 times
while florida has hurricanes, you have the threat of multiple natural disasters anywhere in california, earthquakes, brush/forest fires, mudslides, hell, even active volcanoes (yea, as an earlier poster said, you "get it all" in california). yea, you have deserts and mountains in california, but what use are they if you spend most of your time stuck in traffic trying to get to them? personally im not high on LA or miami........i think the best part of florida is the gulf coast between cedar key and ft meyers, especially the area north of tampa and south of ocala. the southeast corner of the state is waaay overcrowded. also huge metropolitan areas in warm climates tend to be magnets for the worst kinds of human filth, hence huge crime rates......california is an overcrowded boat thats leaking right now, its going to sink under the weight of its own growing population in the comming decades.

Last edited by maersk; 03-29-2011 at 07:31 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maersk View Post
while florida has hurricanes, you have the threat of multiple natural disasters anywhere in california, earthquakes, brush/forest fires, mudslides, hell, even active volcanoes (yea, as an earlier poster said, you "get it all" in california). yea, you have deserts and mountains in california, but what use are they if you spend most of your time stuck in traffic trying to get to them? personally im not high on LA or miami........i think the best part of florida is the gulf coast between cedar key and ft meyers, especially the area north of tampa and south of ocala. the southeast corner of the state is waaay overcrowded. also huge metropolitan areas in warm climates tend to be magnets for the worst kinds of human filth, hence huge crime rates......california is an overcrowded boat thats leaking right now, its going to sink under the weight of its own growing population in the comming decades.
Maersk: While it seems like a lot of natural disasters, none have had as much impact than your hurricanes in the South (all we have to do is remember Katrina to know that). Earthquakes are definitely scary to go through and to the person who has never gone through one it can seem like the most destructive thing in the world, but what people in Miami don't realize is that the majority of earthquakes only last on average in California about between 2-3 seconds. Compared to the hours that most hurricanes last, the constant pounding of hurricanes - I'll take the earthquake!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I grew up as a kid in CA and now live (3/4 the time) in Miami Beach. I wouldn't go back to CA. I love Miami Beach. But, that's just my opinion.
BTW, I love all the things that others seem to hate. I love the heat. I love the humidity. I love the warm ocean water. I also love some of the things that never get mentioned about Florida, namely the fact that we have clean air to breathe. I also love the urban nature of South Beach and I love the South American and Caribbean influence of the culture. I am not telling you any of this to convince you to move to South Florida, I am only "putting it out there" to give props to my home and dispell some of the constant negativity that exists here on C-D towards it.
rnc2mdfl: I'm from Los Angeles and now live in Miami because my father is cuban and lives here. To add to your response above, all I have to say is; you have to be latin to like Miami!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
Hm, if you move to Southern California, you can have a few experiences: Either you end up living in an area that feels genuinely "American" or you may end up in an area that feel "American with a Hispanic twist."

If you move to Miami (in your title, you only mention Miami and not the rest of FL), you will feel like you left the US and moved to Latin America. Chances are that you will need some Spanish to get things done if you live there. I do and find life infinitely easier because of it. I never, ever had that experience in Southern California.

For the rest of Florida, it is important to keep in mind that the farther north you go, the farther South you will be...from a mentality standpoint, that is.

Yes, I have lived in both.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:07 PM

410 posts, read 832,959 times
I think Miami sucks, but I am not into crowds, heat or nightclubs. I don't care about the beach. I agree with the poster that suggested the Southwest/Ft Myers area. Much more relaxed. Never been to Cali, but I think it's probably more liberal from what I hear. Miami is heavily Republican, so depending on your political stance, something you may wish to consider.

Oh - and $900 a month might rent you a closet.

As for speaking Spanish, not really a big deal except from an employment standpoint. It's tough to find a job here if you aren't bilingual. It can be done, but it's not easy.

Last edited by Swampbird; 03-30-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Hm, if you move to Southern California, you can have a few experiences: Either you end up living in an area that feels genuinely "American" or you may end up in an area that feel "American with a Hispanic twist."

If you move to Miami (in your title, you only mention Miami and not the rest of FL), you will feel like you left the US and moved to Latin America. Chances are that you will need some Spanish to get things done if you live there. I do and find life infinitely easier because of it. I never, ever had that experience in Southern California.

For the rest of Florida, it is important to keep in mind that the farther north you go, the farther South you will be...from a mentality standpoint, that is.

Yes, I have lived in both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I think Miami sucks, but I am not into crowds, heat or nightclubs. I don't care about the beach. I agree with the poster that suggested the Southwest/Ft Myers area. Much more relaxed. Never been to Cali, but I think it's probably more liberal from what I hear. Miami is heavily Republican, so depending on your political stance, something you may wish to consider.

Oh - and $900 a month might rent you a closet.

As for speaking Spanish, not really a big deal except from an employment standpoint. It's tough to find a job here if you aren't bilingual. It can be done, but it's not easy.
All I have to say is:

Vamos-Swampbird, BLESS YOU GUYS! You both hit the nail on the head when it comes to Miami. In my books - MIAMI SUCKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.