Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 AM

160 posts, read 183,543 times

Advertisements

I live in VA (a southern state I guess, but I would say that we are more Mid-Atlantic especially in my area)

1. No Confederate flags in my area. That type of nonsense would not be tolerated.

2. Yes we have them here. But I think that's in every state.

3. Never seen anyone around here with camouflage clothing. Would look extremely tacky and redneck if they did.

4. On some car's license plates, yes.

5. No

6. Only thing I have seen John Deere on was lawn mowers, but on clothing? No. That would look extremely redneck.

7. Nope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
North Jersey and Jersey Shore:

1. I have occasionally seen pickups with a confederate flag decal, but it's uncommon enough that you notice when you do see it.

2. You see these makeshift memorials all over New Jersey, and since I commute a substantial distance to New York City every day, I've seen the crosses and flower memorials and once even a cross surrounded by empty liquor bottles, along the railroad tracks from time to time.

3. Not too much

4. No.

5. Popular with some people, though not as much as in other states. My ex watches it on TV, and my daughter watches it with him. I went to the Winston 500 at Pocono Raceway once.

6. I think most people in Jersey know what John Deere is, but I don't see them wearing hats or anything with that brand. However, there are still farms in New Jersey that I don't live near, and perhaps in those areas it is different.

7. No, I have never seen that. The closest thing I see is "Remember 9/11" on firetrucks both in Jersey and in NYC. Some of them in the city have names on them.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 PM

12 posts, read 28,575 times

Last edited by Area_Man7; 06-06-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: photo wasn't working

Old 06-06-2010, 05:20 PM

307 posts, read 802,262 times
I see #1-7 where I grew up...although they're all pretty much reserved to the white-trash folks, other than the John Deere stuff. I grew up in a huge ag area and drove a tractor since I was 10, so wearing John Deere hats, shirts, boots, etc is something I've always done...I even have some baby pictures of me sitting on a tractor step wearing a diaper and a JD summer cap . What annoys me is this generation of kids a little younger than me (lets say junior high-high school aged....I'm 22) who are nowhere close to rural people, hunters, or farmers, yet they try to act as redneck white-trash as anyone. They wear camo everything, John Deere stuff, start dipping, listen to the most god-awful redneck music....just bugs the hell out of me to tell ya the truth. I'm a country kid, I love country music, I just get annoyed with these people acting like trash and thinking they're "country'.

Sorry for the soapbox, I'm pretty outspoken about those damn posers who make true country folks look like idiots.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 PM

128 posts, read 273,299 times
This is from someone who spends a little over half of the year in Austin and the rest in Houston:

1. The Confederate Flag is Everywhere
Not at all. If I do see one (which is rare) it seems strange and out of place.

2. Christian Crosses at the Site of a Traffic Fatality
I can only remember seeing a couple in the past decade.

3. Camouflage Clothing
Nope. I know a lot of people own this kind of clothing because my high school used to have a themed spirit day for it, but I can not recall seeing anyone wearing it casually.

4. Your Name on Your Car
It seems some Hispanics do this, but you can go weeks or months without seeing it, so it's still quite rare here.

5. NASCAR
I don't know a single person who is a NASCAR fan. In fact, I'm pretty sure you would be made fun of for it.

6. John Deere
Occasionally you will see a really old guy with a John Deere hat. It is very far from being a part of the local culture, though.

7. Eulogizing the Dead on Your Car
I have never seen this in person.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Only # 2.

But here we do it when people pass away for any apparent reason. Alot of time is due to a shooting. They place cardboard in front of the deceased's building and in the cardboard there are candles, flowers, pictures, and occasionally their gang flang (if they were affiliated). What happens after is that everyone from the block (we deal with blocks here) signs the cardboard. Finally, this little rememberance is left outside for about a week and then you remove it.

I think there is a higher chance that everyone from the Bronx starts speaking chinese then there is of seeing a confederate flag here. People here don't know what that is. And that John Deere stuff/camaflouge/nascar stuff? Forget it.

Union as union can be.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
I got some John Deere work boots, theyre ****ing bad ass.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
In Oklahoma Ctiy here's what I've seen.
1. Confederate flags, occasionally, but not nearly as many as I saw living in west Texas.
2. Crosses at the scene of a traffic accident where someone died - yes
3. Camo clothes - oh yeah, unfortunately it's here. It was in Texas as well - actually saw a women oen time in a strapless, sequined camo evening gown. Too wierd.
4. Names on the cars - yes, mainly Hispanics, but also just redneck white folds as well.
5.NASCAR - unfortunately, yes, thats here too, and in every area of Texas I've lived in. (Houston area, Dallas area, and Midland). Actaully went to someones home shortly after Dale Earnhardt died, and they had a shrine to him in their dining room. This was a very wealthy, well educated business man, in a very exclusive neighborhood, not some redneck.
6. John Deere, sure theres lots of farming types here, not so much in the city, but in the smaller towns outside of the city and suburbs.
7. Eulogizing dead people on cars - In Oklahoma, yes. Never saw that in Texas

Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
1. The Confederate Flag is Everywhere

It's not everywhere, but it's definitely here in Texas. You'll usually see them in more rural areas and outside of urban areas. I've notice them in Tattoo shops as well.

2. Christian Crosses at the Site of a Traffic Fatality

Yes; this is still going on around Texas.

3. Camouflage Clothing

Yeah, but it isn't significant, but people definitely wear camouflage, especially whites.

4. Your Name on Your Car

Yeah, most within the Latino culture.

5. NASCAR

Ummm........the presence is here, but not as big as you'll see in other southern states. I knew 1 dude who was into nascar.

6. John Deere

Can't recall seeing anyone rocking John Deere fashion (I'm sure people do in Texas). Probably comparable to how it is anywhere else around the country.

7. Eulogizing the Dead on Your Car

Yeah; really big in the Latino culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.